New Assistant | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devo was an assistant as well . Was a strength coach for JB. Plus he had a role at Detroit Mercy and crushed at the girls JV level:)
Bottom line Gmac was handed an amazing job by Jim with zero experience. I'm not saying Devo should get a gig but his coaching experience level compared to Gmacs is about equal if not better.
No It doesn't. What are you talking about? Gerry was given a grad ass'ts job. That isn't the same as a regular ass't. You have to know that. It is ridiculous to suggets it is. That is how you pay those dues I was talking about. By being a grad ass't. Working your way up. A strength coach isn't a basketball coach. If he wants to apply for one of those, great. Girls JV. SMH A grad ass't is how you start. I think JB started that way. I think Hop started that way to. It seems most guys do. Other than just being a serf in the AAU circut for years. Working the camps for peanuts and the chance to be spotted by a coach that is impressed with you.

The point wasn't Red hiring Devo for SU it was gmac hiring Devo as an assistant at Siena.
Yeah, because he has all of those AAU ties that he can use to get players for Gerry to Siena.

No It doesn't. What are you talking about? Gerry was given a grad ass'ts job. That isn't the same as a regular ass't. You have to know that. It is ridiculous to suggets it is. That is how you pay those dues I was talking about. By beinga grad ass't. Working your way up. A strength coach isn't a basketball coach. Ig he wants to applyh for one of those, great. Girls JV. SMH A grad ass't is how you start. I think JB started that way.
Did Devo earn his degree? If not,grad asst is a tough title.

Did Devo earn his degree? If not,grad asst is a tough title.
No idea. I hope so. He should have. He was at the Cuse for 4 years and came back to work in the athletic office.

Why would a coach leave UConn to coach here unless we’re paying them 2x as much?
Why did Elijah Robinson leave a job as Texas A&M DC, and come to Syracuse to be the DC? There are ways to entice coaches. Money is a big one.

As much as we need a recruiter or an X and O guy or a position coach, we need someone that can help return the champion mentality to Red’s team.

What AAU ties did Gmac have when he was hired?
None. He was a grad ass't. That is how you start. And you know this. Christ. Don't die on this hill. Devo has zero to offer as an ass't. He has paid no dues. He never was a grad ass't. If he wanted to be a ass't, a real ass't, that is what he should have done. By the way, I think he could probably do a decent job. But if you are hiring, you hire a guy that has build up a resume. Not just some guy you like. And please, don't compare Devo to gerry again. It makes you look foolish. The Hall of Fame coach never hired him for that role. Why do you suppose that is?

None. He was a grad ass't. That is how you start. And you know this. Christ. Don't die on this hill. Devo has zero to offer as an ass't. He has paid no dues. He never was a grad ass't. If he wanted to be a ass't, a real ass't, that is what he should have done. By the way, I think he could probably do a decent job. But if you are hiring, you hire a guy that has build up a resume. Not just some guy you like. And please, don't compare Devo to gerry again. It makes you look foolish. The Hall of Fame coach never hired him for that role. Why do you suppose that is?
Ok, I surrender:)

Why did Elijah Robinson leave a job as Texas A&M DC, and come to Syracuse to be the DC? There are ways to entice coaches. Money is a big one.

As much as we need a recruiter or an X and O guy or a position coach, we need someone that can help return the champion mentality to Red’s team.
No one from UConn is coming to Syracuse. And lets not get too carried away with their current success.

Well if UConn was going through a head coaching change, and we were offering a promotion to someone close to Red on their staff, then I guess it’d be comparable.

Again, nobody is leaving UConn to coach here unless it’s as HC.

I don’t think offense was our problem last year. I think it was defense and a lot of that had to do with roster attrition. For the pieces we had available and lack of an actual post scoring threat. I thought we did quite well on offense.
Our offense wasn’t great but definitely improved. But if we want to be a top 10 team again, it has to improve a lot more. Same with the defense

Last edited:

Money had nothing to do with ERob coming to SU. HE AND coach Fran are old friends who wanted to work together.

Not knowing anything about new assistant coaches or his preferences, I just want to say that Hakim Warrick would be an awesome big man coach. Don’t care about going with a Syracuse grad or not but if we had a decent big man that needed coaching or development, I would snap up Warrick without hesitation.

That said, not sure if we have a decent big man with the potential. Do not know much about Patterson and not sure if Estrella is a possibility. Also not sure if Hakim would be willing or capable to beat the bushes for recruits that the job entails.

Erob was the DL coach and Co-DC at A&M, so he did a get a slight promotion in title too to go along with working for his friend.

Erob was the DL coach and Co-DC at A&M, so he did a get a slight promotion in title too to go along with working for his friend.

AND we had to pay up to land him.

Fran alluded to this at some point early on.

Clearly TAMU liked him enough to name him Interim HC.

But, he was also still ‘only’ the co-DC, so he wasn’t fully running the system or calling the plays.

Fran gave him the opportunity to come back home, be THE MAN on D, and also got a bit of a pay raise.

All of which sets him up nicely to be a HC someplace in 2-3-4 years, if we have the kinda success here these guys are planning on.

Fran himself said “I’ll be lucky if I can keep him for 3 years.”

I keep coming back to Mike Boynton checks a ton of the boxes on the list.

Good Recruiter
East Coast Ties
Former HC experience
He has to want to be an assistant first. I don't think anyone disagrees he would not be a great pickup but he was just a HC and maybe is still pursuing HC gigs.

He came to coach with his best friend.

Maybe steal Mike Mennenga from Oregon? He spent years recruiting Canada and the East Coast. Oregon head coach Dana Altman used to be known for his innovative offenses so maybe MM could bring some of that with him.
I like this. The talent coming out of Canada is just exploding. So many good players. And we have been a non factor since what, Quincy Guerrier?

We should have the DC and Philly area covered with Straughn,

We should have NYC covered with Griff and Adrian.

The most important area left is Canada. Especially the Toronto and Montreal areas. If Mike is a no go, find another guy with best connections and get him on board. ASAP. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom