New Coaching Staff | Syracusefan.com

New Coaching Staff

Orngeinda6

Walk On
I'm new here so I don't know how much attention this will get but why not go after Jason Hart to fill the vacant spot when Hop takes over. He seems to fit our agenda being a high profile alum with deep roots considering his career and realation to the Triche family. But unlike GMac he may be exactly what we need. He's worked his way up the coaching ladder in LA from AAU to highschool and now assistant at USC and is legitimaly their top recruiter. He just got Charles O'Bannon Jr to commit to USC over UCLA which in itself should be considered a minor miracle. He re-opens a west coast pipeline we seem to have lost complete touch with. If Devo staystay on maybe his ties to the midwest help us re-connect to the Detroit area which again seems to have run dry. We used to own Detroit, Coleman Wilfred Walton both top 5 rated nationally who committed to us. I can't remember our last big get from that area unless you consider Moyer anywhere near those two which is a joke. That leaves Red to handle the east coast our bread and butter with GMac tagging along and learning the ropes. If he can't get a few top guys from NY or DC he has no place on our staff. It also allows Hop to come in and close and worry about coaching which is how it should be done.
Am I crazy or is hiring one of our all time greats with deep recruiting ties in LA and a proven track record make too much sense or am I missing something.

Could be wrong but he's a top asst at a major school, his next step may be a HC position.

Love Jason Hart. Would love to bring him in, if we could. He's a very good recruiter, and has an NBA point guard's knowledge of the game--he'd be a terrific add to the staff.

Don't know if he'd be amenable to leaving the west coast.

That was my thought too RF. When he came here if I remember correctly he tried to get out and go back west mainly because of the weather, and was a bit home sick. Granted he was successful here and all but not sure he would voluntarily move back to the area.

I think it also had to do with his brother was going through some health issues and also a guy named Jim Harrick was involved. But I would also love to add him if he would come back east.

I think it also had to do with his brother was going through some health issues and also a guy named Jim Harrick was involved. But I would also love to add him if he would come back east.
His brother was sick but it had a lot more to do with UCLA not wanting to loose him. Fortunately he signed a LOI or it would have been another lost recruit scenerio. But I'm sure a lead assistant position at Syracuse would provide more exposure and open more doors then USC and if the offer is right in can't see him turning it down because of weather. He's not an 18 year old kid anymore.

His brother was sick but it had a lot more to do with UCLA not wanting to loose him. Fortunately he signed a LOI or it would have been another lost recruit scenerio. But I'm sure a lead assistant position at Syracuse would provide more exposure and open more doors then USC and if the offer is right in can't see him turning it down because of weather. He's not an 18 year old kid anymore.

He and Tony Bland were both hired at USC because of their strong west coast recruiting ties. When Mike was up for the USC job it was reported he wanted both as his assistants. Their attractiveness may fade the further east the school is. I know that Stevie Thompson is an assistant at Oregon St and was already a head coach at Cal St Los Angeles, a D2 college, and even played in the dome a few times against us. Allen Griffin has also been an assistant at Dayton for quite a few years. Lots of choices with SU ties.

I was also interested in this along with the fact that Hop is from Laguna Beach, CA. If we were to add Jason Hart, I think that Cuse could get some good talent from the West Coast. We will always have a strong recruiting presence on the east coast, we need to start to dip in to other areas of the country.

Herrick tampered and JB was pissed.

He and Tony Bland were both hired at USC because of their strong west coast recruiting ties. When Mike was up for the USC job it was reported he wanted both as his assistants. Their attractiveness may fade the further east the school is. I know that Stevie Thompson is an assistant at Oregon St and was already a head coach at Cal St Los Angeles, a D2 college, and even played in the dome a few times against us. Allen Griffin has also been an assistant at Dayton for quite a few years. Lots of choices with SU ties.

This isn't directed against you specifically, Cherie -- but I hope "SU ties" is far down the list of evaluative criteria when it comes to the next coach selecting his staff. If lots of other boxes are checked AND the guy happens to have SU ties -- great. But we should be looking to bring in the best ACs / recruiters we can, and not delimiting ourselves to only those with SU ties.

I could see us bringing him in, Red Autry was set to take the Dayton HC job but decided on Syracuse instead...Red won't be around much longer in my opinion he wants a head coaching job soon and he'll get one. Hop could be the only guy on the current staff that's on the staff in a few years

I could see us bringing him in, Red Autry was set to take the Dayton HC job but decided on Syracuse instead...Red won't be around much longer in my opinion he wants a head coaching job soon and he'll get one. Hop could be the only guy on the current staff that's on the staff in a few years
Autry was going to accept an assistant coach position at Dayton (maybe as an assistant head coach), not a head coach position.
Autry recommended Allen Griffin as a possible replacement.

This isn't directed against you specifically, Cherie -- but I hope "SU ties" is far down the list of evaluative criteria when it comes to the next coach selecting his staff. If lots of other boxes are checked AND the guy happens to have SU ties -- great. But we should be looking to bring in the best ACs / recruiters we can, and not delimiting ourselves to only those with SU ties.
I couldn't agree more but for some reason SU ties seems to very high on the list lately. With that being the case why not go after guys with proven track records rather than leaving our teams future in the hands of unproven guys like GMac and what soon looks like Devo.Coach K has built his staff with predominantly Duke alum and maybe JB is trying to follow that model. Problem is we are no where near Duke in terms of recruiting cache and probably never will be. When JB retires I hope Hop steps away from the Olympic team and focuses solely on our program if not recruiting may get real ugly the next few years.

It's the way many of the longest tenured coaches are doing it. Coach K, Izzo, JB's assistants are mainly all graduates or former players. Head coaches desire and reward loyalty, and try to form an effective coaching tree. When coaches are starting or are more transient they tend to not care as much about institutional ties and prioritize personal professional ties. JB when he first started out, hired experienced outside assistants (mutual learning?) and just used the graduate assistant position to mentor former players.

I imagine there are basic reasons coaches like mentoring former players mainly because they already are familiar with how things are done, desire a "family" atmosphere and want to maintain stability, consistency. If an experienced HC wants to shake things up and change , I imagine they are much more amenable to going outside.

We need someone on the staff who can coach big men, someone like DC who actually knows how to play the position. Tired of talented players coming in, and not progressing while they are here.

I have said it many times on different post that it is time to clean house. If that is bring in Hart as a assistant if he would, if not pull the rug on Hopkins and offer it the coaches,but I personally don't think that Hopkins is the coach we need. We saw that when HCJB was suspended those games. As I speak, the Cuse mens BB team is getting pounded by BC. (By 20 +) What a joke BC did not win one game , one f**king game, lol ( taken from Gerry Mac's comment from HCJB a few years back.) last year in the ACC. Granted they got a couple new kids but so do we. We need a coach that can coach and recruit, and assistants that can teach and recruit. Red Autry may be the only one. jmo.

Red isn't getting a head coaching gig coming off of this.

I have said it many times on different post that it is time to clean house. If that is bring in Hart as a assistant if he would, if not pull the rug on Hopkins and offer it the coaches,but I personally don't think that Hopkins is the coach we need. We saw that when HCJB was suspended those games. As I speak, the Cuse mens BB team is getting pounded by BC. (By 20 +) What a joke BC did not win one game , one f**king game, lol ( taken from Gerry Mac's comment from HCJB a few years back.) last year in the ACC. Granted they got a couple new kids but so do we. We need a coach that can coach and recruit, and assistants that can teach and recruit. Red Autry may be the only one. jmo.
Red isn't getting a head coaching gig coming off of this.
So it's your business sense that it is a good way to do business to renege on a deal you have made. Basically be a liar. And you think a lot of people would want to deal with you after that? Syracuse made a deal with Hopkins. He honored that deal. He could have left and he didn't. I'm worried about Hop but we made a deal. And when you give your word and make a deal, you keep it.

I don't think WE know what the deal is. You didn't see the contract and no matter what sometime you have to do whats best for the team and school. This day and age, it is all about business.

I don't think WE know what the deal is. You didn't see the contract and no matter what sometime you have to do whats best for the team and school. This day and age, it is all about business.
I am not completely agreeing with you because not sure how we dont give Hop a chance given JBs HOF status and promises that were made Hop long ago. But i do agree with you on it being all about business. This very difficult move to acc has proven the unavoidable impact of hard business decisions.

But having said that i sense a soft spot for this program coming up, some are arguing we ve been in a decidely soft spot since being 25-0, which was years ago. The dominant presence of duke, unc, virginia, etc isnt going to make the acc any easier for us anytime soon, not to mention we continue to lose kids to uk all the time, see quade. So my point is (relating to your all about business statement) there is a tremendous chance in my mind, for us to get out of this soft spot for the program, SU is going to have to up spending BIGTIME. And that includes bigger spending on coaches, very similar obviously to what uk did with Cal to get out of their decidedly soft spot in the programs history. Is SU going to be willing / able to up spending bigtime??

So it's your business sense that it is a good way to do business to renege on a deal you have made. Basically be a liar. And you think a lot of people would want to deal with you after that? Syracuse made a deal with Hopkins. He honored that deal. He could have left and he didn't. I'm worried about Hop but we made a deal. And when you give your word and make a deal, you keep it.

I can't like this post enough. This is exactly the situation we face. I'm not sure about Hop either, but a deal is a deal. We absolutely blow up any credibility we hold as a program and university if we renege on a deal with a guy who's been unfailingly loyal. Keep the leash as tight as possible, but give the man a chance.

I can't like this post enough. This is exactly the situation we face. I'm not sure about Hop either, but a deal is a deal. We absolutely blow up any credibility we hold as a program and university if we renege on a deal with a guy who's been unfailingly loyal. Keep the leash as tight as possible, but give the man a chance.

We are not reneging. Hop will be given his shot. It's not worth a discussion at this point.

Say what you want to justify about credibility but the way this program is going, its losing it fast and you can start by seeing the recruits that we would or should get ,turn their nose up at the coaches and that goes for the university also. Hopkins can't coach (we saw that when HCJB was suspended) and he sure can't recruit. And for his assistants, great players for SU but can't teach or recruit, Maybe other than A. Autry. If you watched the last game (last night) at BC, that game tells it all. And it is going to get much worse. We will see how long before you start asking for change. I have been a SU fan for 30 years and I bet you are going to see the next two years in recruiting is going to be a disaster. Oh Lord

We are not reneging. Hop will be given his shot. It's not worth a discussion at this point.

I get it, and I agree

I also agree with other's concern that Hop is the right guy, esp if the program craters like it looks like its going to at the moment. this will all but certainly be the worst of JB's career and with the lack of guard and wing recruits next year we could easily be worse...then Jim leaves (deal's a deal, right?)

2 probable horrible seasons in a row, most likely with similar recruiting results next year (who wants to play for a new coach and a sh!tty program?)

even if he lands a good recruit or 3, how long does Hop get to turn this boat around? 1 year? 3? 5?

Say what you want to justify about credibility but the way this program is going, its losing it fast and you can start by seeing the recruits that we would or should get ,turn their nose up at the coaches and that goes for the university also. Hopkins can't coach (we saw that when HCJB was suspended) and he sure can't recruit. And for his assistants, great players for SU but can't teach or recruit, Maybe other than A. Autry. If you watched the last game (last night) at BC, that game tells it all. And it is going to get much worse. We will see how long before you start asking for change. I have been a SU fan for 30 years and I bet you are going to see the next two years in recruiting is going to be a disaster. Oh Lord
#Hottakes

Congrats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom