New DE/OLB Coach: Nick Williams [Official] | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New DE/OLB Coach: Nick Williams [Official]

There was a poster (name withheld intentionally) who felt that the hype associated with Brown was mostly an "intangible."

Probably safe to assume now that the additions of ERob, Nick Williams, the recruiting interest, and the staff yet to be named (more big names to come) is tangible proof of just how much people believe in Fran Brown.
Not to back pat, but I posted that he seems like the guy all his buddies were just waiting to be a HC. They will rally to him, and the rising tide will lift all of them to the next level.
Loved his PC: he doesn’t want guys who will be happy in their position at SU. They need to want to move up and out.
Also loved that DeLeone kicked him out so he didn’t get comfortable (was it at Baylor?)

I am right there with you. Just because it snows like he!! doesn’t mean good players won’t come there. If Ped State can do it so can Cuse. Not much difference weather wise, just better football tradition. This new coaching staff can change that.
Tons of difference weather wise. They get occasional storms.

Fans’ perceptions were based upon the reality that great players weren’t coming.
Well, I mean, the board was rallied around outside of Mullen HC options that were never going to be transformative. I guess if you regress your expectations to a certain level then you become accepting of what you think is your ceiling. It was pretty sad to see how beat down our fanbase had become over the last 20 years of what we've had to go through.

Not to back pat, but I posted that he seems like the guy all his buddies were just waiting to be a HC. They will rally to him, and the rising tide will lift all of them to the next level.
Loved his PC: he doesn’t want guys who will be happy in their position at SU. They need to want to move up and out.
Also loved that DeLeone kicked him out so he didn’t get comfortable (was it at Baylor?)
Yeah, he is certainly impressive.

Are the boosters that support football mutually exclusive from the ones that support hoops? I wonder if ADJW is kicking himself for playing it "safe" with the off-season basketball moves.
Red Autry and Fran Brown are the same kind of coaching hire. Stud recruiters who have some good indicators that they might be good coaches, but with lots off X and O uncertainty.

In one offseason, Red remade our basketball roster. Starling and Westry, going by their high school RSCI rankings, were the best recruiting class since 2011. He also finalized a very good 24 class and kept our highest ranked recruit from leaving. And Red did all that after the fiasco of JB getting fired/retiring after two ugly losing seasons. It was an amazing group of recruiting wins in a short period of time. It's not Red's fault Starling suddenly can't shoot, and Westry has been injured. Williams he gets only partial credit for. Now we'll see Red gain experience coaching these kids. Red is a hell of a recruiter, we'll see how he is as a head coach.

Fran Brown right now is doing the same thing on the recruiting path, but much bigger. I expect he's going to bring in a crazy haul of players amazingly soon. Then we have to worry about the X and O side of things... But the game of football (like basketball) is a lot easier when your guy isn't smaller and slower than the guy he's competing against.

Who is Nick Williams?

He's a little like this guy...

Kevin Spacey 90S GIF

swishy, im going to need you to disappear for another decade, the adults are talking and it seems that you are still not ready for the big boy table.

and dont think for 1 second that DeVito jersey you have on your Christmas list will put you on any kind of Giants bandwagon going forward.

you shall remain on the side of the road, teamlesss...for quite some time.

sorry, not sorry.

Wonder if they will not start to officially announce the remaining coaching staff?

Red Autry and Fran Brown are the same kind of coaching hire. Stud recruiters who have some good indicators that they might be good coaches, but with lots off X and O uncertainty.

In one offseason, Red remade our basketball roster. Starling and Westry, going by their high school RSCI rankings, were the best recruiting class since 2011. He also finalized a very good 24 class and kept our highest ranked recruit from leaving. And Red did all that after the fiasco of JB getting fired/retiring after two ugly losing seasons. It was an amazing group of recruiting wins in a short period of time. It's not Red's fault Starling suddenly can't shoot, and Westry has been injured. Williams he gets only partial credit for. Now we'll see Red gain experience coaching these kids. Red is a hell of a recruiter, we'll see how he is as a head coach.

Fran Brown right now is doing the same thing on the recruiting path, but much bigger. I expect he's going to bring in a crazy haul of players amazingly soon. Then we have to worry about the X and O side of things... But the game of football (like basketball) is a lot easier when your guy isn't smaller and slower than the guy he's competing against.
I believe the keys are that they come from the same background as most of the kids they are recruiting and coaching. They understand them at a level that only comes with familiarity. It's like anyone if you grow up in an area you have a better understanding of it than an outsider. I don't mean growing up in NYS I mean growing up in for instance the North Country, Or the Bronx two very different cultures within the same geographic region. Second, they both played the sport they coach at a very high level. Third they are young and hungry.

Great article. Love that the common trend across our staff seems to be energy and hard work.
We've been ecstatic when we have one guy like this on staff. Now, just about every guy on our staff is like this and they like competing against each other to see who can get the best guys. It's nuts.

Great article. Love that the common trend across our staff seems to be energy and hard work.

I see these guys and I can't help thinking, this was probably something they discussed at many a coaches conference.
Something along the lines of: "Whoever gets the first shot at running a program, I'd hire X for the D, Y to run the Offense, Nick as D assistance, etc etc."
It's the culmination of dreams come true, and Fran is the first one w/ the opportunity to bring it to fruition.

It's really cool that his wife is from Rochester and now they're able to connect/see family more frequently. He's clearly destined for big things but maybe that keeps him in Cuse an extra 1-2 years.

He basically said this is it until his kids get thru a certain age. Lets see how that plays out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom