New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Addition (and latest transfer): Cody Shear

Status
Not open for further replies.
That quote is from an article about Covid and the killings of black men and woman. It has nothing to do with chemistry. They were struggling with how to handle play and practice in a covid world. They were unhappy with social issues and Yes unhappy HCDB didnt make a stronger statement about them. but the article is also about hope and family, not dissatisfaction. It is about why so many Seniors decided to return this season. They werent satisfied with how things ended. They werent satisfied with themselves as well as the the team. They believe that the Team, Syracuse, and themselves deserved much better. And they came back to do just that, to bring Family back, to bring Ohana back. This isnt a Coach Q situation. Its the exact opposite. The players arent fleeing like they are from womans hoops. They are staying, standing, and fighting for there FAMILY.

I’m not saying it’s a “coach q” situation. That was someone else.

I am stating that all last year I was saying that there was obviously chemistry issues but there were people on here that were saying that wasn’t true…this confirms that there was 100% issues within that locker room.

I think that a couple of games last season that were close we lost because the team just wasn’t in it.

They stated in that article that they came back because they want to erase last year.

I’ve been on here and have said a few times that I felt the chemistry on this year is 100% different.

Yeah chemistry worries me about this team but other than these two transfers I’m not worried yet.

Last season I said over and over and over that the team had bad chemistry etc and everyone on here pretty much told me I was crazy.

Now the report comes out that the locker room has some bad chemistry and it’s crickets.

Chemistry falls on the coach IMO.

Dino needs to do A LOT and I mean A LOT to save his job IMO

Where is the report about bad chemistry? This is the first I'm hearing of it. Not debating it's not true, but now I'm intrigued (in a bad way) about what's going on.

Last year, becuase of covid, was a stressful year. The covid restrictions were probably more stringent for Syracuse than other members of the conference. Stress can cause changes in personality...irritability, frustration, hostility, anger, agressive feelings and behavior, reduced work efficiency or productivity.
Circumstances can distort individual personalities.
I am so glad that you mentioned that. NY limited the activities we could do more so than any other state that played last year (CA was only one close)

Also, the reason Syracuse University and Syracuse Football led the league in lowest COVID rates is because they were the most stringent, strict, steril compared to peers. This of course has direct effects on how much a team can accomplish (practice, cohesion, learning etc) but it also effects the things you mentioned (individual stress levels etc).

Also, many of the injuries were knock on effects of lack of proper structured training due to… wait for it… strict COVID protocols

Adversity? You're thinking about this all wrong.

The dude came here for a chance to start. This isn't some complex thing - it's basically a free agent signing that didn't pan out. He came looking to showcase himself, the staff was looking for a potential upgrade. It seems safe to assume the results weren't there for either of them. What does he owe anyone when the reason for him being here in the first place is quite apparent?

And long term endeavor? He's been here for two weeks.
He was supposed to be here 2 years. So approximately 10% of his life to this point. So ya, a long term endeavor to him at this juncture of his life.

The kid hasn’t played a down of college ball and has now left three teams he committed to. One after a week of preseason.
Good luck to him but I’m glad he left.

was there any sport or business that didnt have chemistry issues last yr?

Sure, they all did. Not everyone handled it as well as others.
Not everyone lost every game but one last year.
Not everyone has had so much trouble filling a roster, I'll bet.

i obviously missed it but where was the report about some bad chemistry in the locker room?

Nate Mink's article yesterday (or was it this morning?).
The article about the 6 returning seniors. It was the last half of that article.

I absolutely love this… Heres the direct quote

“Last year we were divided,” Jonathan said. “I hate to admit it. We didn’t have the family relationship.”
Yet we arguing if they were divided or not. This is literally from a player that was in the locker room. The chemistry was bad and I would be willing to bet it cost us a fair share of games.

I don't "love it", but I felt it from the leaks we were getting in the press, about the team going on strike a couple different times about COVID testing protocols, and how to stay safe when southern teams in the conference had all these anti-Vax Governors.

That was only part 1. If I recall, someone said there were tears when they confronted Babers about not doing more to speak out, as a prominent black football coach, about BLM.

Those are deep problems. This ohana stuff doesn't cut it if your actions don't back it up. I think the tension with the players was evident in Babers just being a "wooden indian" on the sidelines for much of that disastrous year - very little emotion as we got beat, week after week.

Bad teams always have bad chemistry (after the fact). I think the bigger issue is the same issue it's been throughout Dino's tenure-The OL. I am hoping Schmidt is the answer.

I don't "love it", but I felt it from the leaks we were getting in the press, about the team going on strike a couple different times about COVID testing protocols, and how to stay safe when southern teams in the conference had all these anti-Vax Governors.

That was only part 1. If I recall, someone said there were tears when they confronted Babers about not doing more to speak out, as a prominent black football coach, about BLM.

Those are deep problems. This ohana stuff doesn't cut it if your actions don't back it up. I think the tension with the players was evident in Babers just being a "wooden indian" on the sidelines for much of that disastrous year - very little emotion as we got beat, week after week.
This makes no sense. You state the concern about anti-Vax Governors yet our season was entirely over before the vaccine was being distributed. Nobody was getting vaccinated while we were p!aying because the vaccine wasn't available yet.

So players have no rights and are indebted to everyone else, even at the expense of their own happiness? And if they do what is best for themselves, they are dead to you?

Got it.
You miss the point. The school went out and gave this kid a chance. The kid and his family have the responsibility to not be users. He should have realized before he took someone elses spot that this wasnt going to work. If this was his second rodeo ok but not his fourth. Kids a hot mess glad hes gone

the context was about covid. It wasn’t your typical bad chemistry locker room.
Spot on Bees. Families became divided over Covid it was a once in a 100 plus year event and a nightmare for the world. Its going to take a few years for things to recover but as with 911 nothing will ever be as it was including college sports.

This makes no sense. You state the concern about anti-Vax Governors yet our season was entirely over before the vaccine was being distributed. Nobody was getting vaccinated while we were p!aying because the vaccine wasn't available yet.

I should have said "anti-mask" governors.

The players' concern was about the testing protocols. Of course there was no vaccine. But the way the NBA was able to successfully do their "Bubble" playoffs was to test everybody and limit access.

The lack of uniform standards for testing among the ACC was the problem. Because the league said that each school had to follow the guidelines appropriate for their state. Reasonable on the face of it, because conditions vary by location.

But that had guys concerned. If we're tested 3 times a week, and the Florida teams only test once a week, we could play a game and get exposure from a bunch of them.

This same thing, in fact, happened during the basketball season.

That was the controversy. How can you keep us safe, if the other schools are not using the same testing standards as us?

They mentioned their disappointment at the lack of support for BLM. That was a significant part of the story, too.
I dont get that. When the tension first started i kept waiting for the SU coaches especially Dino to take a stand. NOTHING. Maybe it the military background maybe its something else but regardless he missed the mark big time.

I don’t think the article says anything about Shear entering the transfer portal. Someone said he had a number of concussions, maybe he’s just done with football? Can’t blame a kid if he wants to look out for his health if that’s the case

I am so glad that you mentioned that. NY limited the activities we could do more so than any other state that played last year (CA was only one close)

Also, the reason Syracuse University and Syracuse Football led the league in lowest COVID rates is because they were the most stringent, strict, steril compared to peers. This of course has direct effects on how much a team can accomplish (practice, cohesion, learning etc) but it also effects the things you mentioned (individual stress levels etc).

Also, many of the injuries were knock on effects of lack of proper structured training due to… wait for it… strict COVID protocols
Almost like the season deserves an asterisk

I dont get that. When the tension first started i kept waiting for the SU coaches especially Dino to take a stand. NOTHING. Maybe it the military background maybe its something else but regardless he missed the mark big time.
I’m guessing here, and maybe off limits …

but military guys might feel one kind of way about police, while black Americans another, also people of strong faith may feel compelled another kind of way politically

I bet he was conflicted

he didn’t miss any mark. He made the right choice as far as I’m concerned by staying politically neutral and on the high ground. A lot of what happened last year with the rioting and looting was disgusting.

was there any sport or business that didnt have chemistry issues last yr?

on this business side yes, many took advantage othe opportunity to pounce…..again it’s not a poor me attitude, it’s these are the cards we are dealt make lemonade out of lemons, I know of a lot of business (not food industry of course) who had record years during a pandemic

yes it was tough, yes you had to modify but enough of the excuses, leaders led and moved full steam ahead

I love Dino but as others have said it’s year 6 it’s time to make hay or get off the farm

he didn’t miss any mark. He made the right choice as far as I’m concerned by staying politically neutral and on the high ground. A lot of what happened last year with the rioting and looting was disgusting.

So you’re saying there weren’t any “fine people on both sides” of rioting and looting? I kid, I kid…

What I don’t kid about is equating silence with weakness and inaction. As some say, it’s only political if you make it that way. Systematic racism exists in this country; that isn’t political. Climate change exists- again, not political. What to do about it? I can see those conversations as political.

Speculation of why Cody OLineman and Freshman TE entering the portal seems like a fools errand here. The kid who is transferring from Rutgers because of vax mandates? Arguably political. I’m guessing he’s pro choice in all ways ;-)

Last edited:
Maybe the chemistry issues have been resolved, and when Babers added Shear, he faced this from his leaders.

ec5f0cfd-7797-4d97-915e-56e9a214d401_text.gif

Agreed 100% on the riots and looting. I just believe he should have addressed the team. Not a public statement but a private one with the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom