New ST Coach: Bob Ligashesky | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

New ST Coach: Bob Ligashesky

My next door neighbor was the sports reporter for Fox43 - not sure how long or when. He is out of the business now and coaching.
That’s our local Fox station

I love this post! Awesome that your son was(still is?) a sports anchor at WPXI and love the story about your grandson, you are a blessed man, Bill. way cool. and love what I am hearing about Bob. I have to imagine him walking into a recruits home in Western PA wearing his 2008 Super Bowl ring would really make an impression! let's get him in the fold officially and out on the road!
Glad you liked the post! I did a double take when I first saw that Bob was hired. Thought I remembered that name. Just thought the personal relationship would be of interest. But, thanks I am blessed.

Bill worked at WPXI/NBC for 15 years, used to drive from Steubenville to Pittsburgh every day 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic leave here about 3:30 P. M. for a 6:25 and 11:25 shows and get back to Steubenville around 1 A.M. Covered the Steelers, in the city meeting with players, coaches, etc.,- training camp in Latrobe and the Pirates camp in Bradenton, Fla., and the PXI Sports show with Jerome Bettis on Fridays. Previous to that he started at WTOV9 in Steubenville as their Sports Director/ Anchor. Jerome Bettis is one of the nicest people I have ever met.

After 15 years in Pittsburgh he decided he needed to see his grandson and daughter go through high school and came back here and is the anchor of the news starting at 5A.M. - 9 A.M. and the Noon show. Gets up at 3:30 A.M. and gets home at 1:30 P.M. - don't know how he does it. Covering sports and news is a tough game - they make it look easy but it isn't.

Took a lot of trips to Pittsburgh to watch him do the show and met a lot of Steeler players including the owner, Mr. Rooney before he passed. A real gentleman.

I have met Bob Ligashesky on our trip to Illinois - all I can say is he has been around knows his shi* and is an experienced coach.

Last edited:
When you fire the OC and a couple others are gone, you start with that hire and fill in publicly. Announcing a ST coach hire is like announcing drinks are free on a flight with broken windows.
I just want to send him on the recruiting trail and assume we can't do that until it's announced.

I just want to send him on the recruiting trail and assume we can't do that until it's announced.
I'm not sure that is correct. I would guess that as soon as he is employed as a coach (signed contract, title, and getting paid), he is allowed to recruit whether it's been formally announced or not.

I love this post! Awesome that your son was(still is?) a sports anchor at WPXI and love the story about your grandson, you are a blessed man, Bill. way cool. and love what I am hearing about Bob. I have to imagine him walking into a recruits home in Western PA wearing his 2008 Super Bowl ring would really make an impression! let's get him in the fold officially and out on the road!
Didn't know if any of his "stats"/ "coaching career" were posted yet, apologies if this is a repeat - Bob has been around!

Bob Ligashesky

BOB LIGASHESKY​

Bringing 36 years of coaching experience, Bob Ligashesky was named Special Teams Coordinator and Safeties Coach in March, 2021. He adds another veteran presence to an already experienced and knowledgeable staff. He has worked on seven NFL staffs as well as Power Five programs at Pittsburgh and Illinois. He has experience in the MAC, serving as outside linebackers coach and special teams coach at Kent State along with his time at BGSU. Ligashesky was also a graduate assistant at Wake Forest and Arizona State.

Ligashesky most recently coached Blake Hayes to the 2019 Big Ten Punter of the Year award. Kicker Chase McLaughlin was the 2018 Bakken-Anderson Big Ten Kicker of the Year after tying for the FBS lead with nine 40+ field goals made and ranking second in the FBS with four 50+ yard field goals. He ended his career ranked first in Illinois history with five 50+ yard field goals, tied for first with perfect extra point accuracy, fourth in field goals made and fourth in field goal accuracy.

Ligashesky spent the first 19 years of his coaching career in college football before spending the next 12 seasons in the NFL. He won a Super Bowl as Special Teams Coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2008 and led outstanding units in Houston and Tampa Bay, where the Buccaneers led the NFL with four blocked punts.

Following a two-year stop at Kent State as outside linebackers/special teams coach, Ligashesky came to Bowling Green in 1991. He initially served as outside linebackers coach until adding the role of special teams coordinator from 1996-98. He was named assistant head coach in 1999 before moving on to the NFL.

Under first year head coach Gary Blackney, Ligashesky made an immediate impact on the Falcons in 1991. The program improved from 3-5-2 to 11-1 in just one season. The Falcons then went 10-2 in 1992 and were 9-2 in 1994. The program went 58-41-2 in his nine seasons, winning a pair of MAC Championships (1991 and 1992).

The Pittsburgh-area native graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) with a degree in sport management, where he was a defensive back and three-year letterman (1982-84). He and his wife, Shelley, have on daughter, Sydney, who was born in 2009.

LIGASHESKY'S COACHING CAREER
2021-pr: Bowling Green (Special Teams Coordinator/Safeties)
2018-20: Illinois (Special Teams Coodinator)
2016-17: Illinois (Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends)
2014-15: Houston Texans (Special Teams Coordinator)
2013: Houston Texans (Interim Special Teams Coordinator/Special Teams Assistant)
2012: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Special Teams Coordinator/Safeties)
2011: Oakland Raiders (Special Teams Assistant)
2010: Denver Broncos (Tight Ends)
2007-09: Pittsburgh Steelers (Special Teams Coordinator)
2005-06: St. Louis Rams (Special Teams Coordinator)
2004: Jacksonville Jaguars (Assistant Special Teams Coach)
2000-03: Pittsburgh (Tight Ends/Special Teams Coordinator)
1999: Bowling Green (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers/Special Teams)
1991-98: Bowling Green (Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator)
1989-90: Kent State (Outside Linebackers/Special Teams Coach)
1986-88: Arizona State (Graduate Assistant)
1985: Wake Forest (Graduate Assistant)

Last edited:
Glad this has been officially announced. Now looking forward to the OC.
Yeah would love to see the OC buttoned up here real quick. There is still time to impact portal and recruiting needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom