New stadium a different twist | Syracusefan.com

New stadium a different twist

kcsu

Living Legend
Reading the post about the new stadium it seems as if the number one reason that people want it off campus is a better tailgate and parking situation. Everyone seems ok with re doing the Dome with the exception of the tailgate scene and parking. So why not have the university create a tailgate and parking venue at the Harbor with great busing. They could really make it special. Big screens, Food tents, Beer tents, bands... the whole deal. This would allow for a great tailgate venue. Ease the parking and let those who want to continue on campus do so?

I suspect a fair number of people feel its too big a hassle to get to the dome. Either find parking and walk up a hill or take a bus from manley. I dont think its a good reason, but I imagine that turns a few people off. Id hate to move it off campus, but I really feel students are the heart of a college program. I dont think theres a perfect answer

Youd think the university would be able to do a better pregame with what it has. Ie at Manley, On campus, on some of the streets near campus

I was just wondering about this today. They say that Syracuse is just not a football town. They say fans will only show up if you win. I know comparing NFL to NCAA is apples to oranges, but if Syracuse isn't a football town, then how come just 2 hrs down the road, Buffalo is? Buffalo has been irrelevant for longer than Syracuse has, yet games always draw big crowds, and the event is a scene to behold. The tail-gating is second to none. They have a proper tail gating setup. One giant lot in close proximity to the stadium. I get that Buffalo is a larger area, and more people will show up naturally, however, Green Bay is smaller than Syracuse, and they fill their stadium. I think it really goes back to the gameday atmosphere. If people go to watch the Bills, and expect them to lose, they still have a great time before and after the game tail gating, and they come back every weekend to do it again. As much as I would hate seeing an off campus venue, perhaps that's the means to an end we need. Put it by the fairgrounds, and have one main lot that serves for parking and tailgating. Bars, and restraunts could spring up around it. I live in the Utica area, and that's what happened when the Commets moved in. What was once just a barren wasteland near the Aud, is now thriving, with new bars, and restaurants. We always seem to play our first home game during the state fair. How cool would it be to be playing in the shadow of that scene...a la The Cotton Bowl @ the Texas State Fair. Perhaps you could incorporate the first home game with the state fair. There are people there from all over the state, and country to see the stadium, and at least draw interest. Maybe free admission with the purchase of fair tickets, or vice versa.

i always ask what % of people tailgate. you look at the cars at manley and its at best 10% probably 5% and thats an easy spot with lighting/bathrooms/parking and space. at sky top its probably no more than 5% and once you leave the dome area where parking is a premium most people are not tailgating either. would a more central area make it better? they have huge lots around penn state and there are still large numbers of people who dont do any tailgating.

i always ask what % of people tailgate. you look at the cars at manley and its at best 10% probably 5% and thats an easy spot with lighting/bathrooms/parking and space. at sky top its probably no more than 5% and once you leave the dome area where parking is a premium most people are not tailgating either. would a more central area make it better? they have huge lots around penn state and there are still large numbers of people who dont do any tailgating.
Penn States lots look awfully full of tailgaters to me

if you put all the tailgates around the dome it would look full too and it kind does when you go thru the quad but still a small number of actual people.

Tailgating is the only reason my family has gone for 20 years. Its a family get together every Saturday. Wed go, tailgate, support the team if it was a D3 team.

Parking is a huge turn off to people in my family who use to have seasons......They just couldn't stand taking the bus as they were getting to 60 yrs. old and older.

My father was going to games until he was 77 and loved to tailgate as family would all show up. He would have to park in the handicap area walk over to where we tailgate then walk back a distance to catch the handicap bus because they wouldn't let you tailgate in those areas. He lasted as long as he could.

I am 1 of 9 kids and there was 8 kids in my fathers side and 12 on my mothers side and tailgates were pretty huge in the 80's and 90's and slowed down in the 2000's because of the busing on where they pick you up and drop you off.

Now all there is left is my brother and I FOR A TOTAL OF 4 SEASONS

Last edited:
I also find it hard to believe Syracuse isnt a football town, but is a basketball town. We're a small city with lots of surrounding small communities. Something I just dont understand how NY is different from Ohio and Pennsylvania in that way. Cant believe that more people from Cayuga and Cortland Counties dont come. Id even expect youd get people from oswego, Utica and Binghamton.

Marrone held a practice in Rochester and that was a bust. You better believe people are driving 2 hours to see penn state, Ohio state, alabama, ND etc

Sorry for my 4th different post on this

But the key to attendance is the Game Day Experience

1. You have to give reason a people to go to the game - Ie tailgating, pregame traditions, Music, opportunities to throw and catch the football for kids, food trucks, micro brew sampling, chili cook offs, rib fests. People will deal with parking and walking to get there for an experience. You should have a portion of people (not lots of them, but a few) who dont even make it to the game bc of the stuff going on.

2. You have to get people excited and proud to be a part of that game day experience. If people's pride is hurt by the game, they wont want to be a part of it. You have to be proud of the product on the field. Never have I been less proud was when we played Penn state at home when Grob was the coach. Penn State had about 1/4 of the Dome and they kicked our butt.

I also find it hard to believe Syracuse isnt a football town, but is a basketball town. We're a small city with lots of surrounding small communities. Something I just dont understand how NY is different from Ohio and Pennsylvania in that way. Cant believe that more people from Cayuga and Cortland Counties dont come. Id even expect youd get people from oswego, Utica and Binghamton.

Marrone held a practice in Rochester and that was a bust. You better believe people are driving 2 hours to see penn state, Ohio state, alabama, ND etc
the basketball town goes back to the Syracuse Nationals and it helps that we've fielded a team that consistently wins, or at least we know we may have a shot come tournament time. Football isn't like that, even if we were to go undefeated it would take the moon and all the stars to line up perfectly for us to be in the championship game

The solution is, is it convenient for me?

Tailgating lots in close proximity to the stadium would be a good draw for people, and create a more pleasurable experience for the casual fan (see, Buffalo)

the basketball town goes back to the Syracuse Nationals and it helps that we've fielded a team that consistently wins, or at least we know we may have a shot come tournament time. Football isn't like that, even if we were to go undefeated it would take the moon and all the stars to line up perfectly for us to be in the championship game
I disagree. Most fans in the country know their team wont win a NC in football. They show up to support their team and show their school pride. I really dont think the fabric of our community likes basketball more than football. We just support our basketball better because of that winning

I disagree. Most fans in the country know their team wont win a NC in football. They show up to support their team and show their school pride. I really dont think the fabric of our community likes basketball more than football. We just support our basketball better because of that winning
I don't disagree, the winning definitely helps

I almost never tailgated football games during my time on the hill (08-12).

Actually, usually only drank for the bball games. And by drank I mean binge drank, snuck alcohol in, then blacked out for a portion of the game.

Give it a try - Pack a 24 pack, grab some friends, and decide whos grilling/ making food

Give it a try - Pack a 24 pack, grab some friends, and decide whos grilling/ making food
take it from me, GoHamSU is not someone that needs to learn how to tailgate. I never did as a student either. Noon was shitty to do so and we never had late games. Was usually hung over and didn't want to drink.

I think the people who frequent this board are far more likely to also tailgate. i enjoy it but have no friends who go to games who want to spend more time at the game so i seldom do any more. its a 3-4 hr thing add in an hr or 2 to get there and then tailgate on top of that and you need to have a family type experience to get it done.

PSU has a cow field (literally, that's where they keep their cows during non-games) that is right next to the stadium (you can actually literally park on the stadium lawn) and it is 100% filled with tailgaters. Some people actually tailgate and then don't go to the game (obviously most people go to the game, but it isn't unheard of to only go for tailgating). You're wrong about PSU.

We need to win at home. Gut-crushing demoralizing losses take the thrill out of the event, and we've gone through a decade and a half of them (with a couple of scattered years of being decent). I honestly think that if we could string together 4-5 8 win seasons (7 wins against non-fcs), the Dome would rock again. It will happen. It will just take time. As a program, we have ups and downs. We're slowly coming out of a down. It's happened before, and it will happen again.

My opinion is that tailgating does matter and a new off campus stadium is the way to go.

Living in Raleigh NC I have had the opportunity to go to a few games at both UNC and NC State. While neither is know as a traditional powerhouse UNC undoubtably has much better football history and tradition. Both have much better basketball tradition than football with UNC again being the higher profile of the two programs. I realize both are large state schools with large alumni bases but I believe it's a good comparison of on and off campus football facilities.

UNC is a lot more like SU, playing their home games at an on campus stadium. They typically have announced crowds about 2/3 of capacity with actual fans in the seats being much lower. Even though it is on campus student interest only really happens when top ranked teams or rivals are playing. UNC parking is spread out and usually a good walk to the stadium. Getting in and out of Chapel Hill to Keenan Memorial Stadium can be difficult. The parking that is there is mostly in garages and there is little opportunity for tailgating.

About 20 minutes away NC State plays at Carter Finley Stadium. The stadium is not on campus. It shares parking with both the State Fairgrounds and PNC Arena. The parking is close to the stadium, easy to get in and out of, and there aren't any parking garages. NC State students regularly fill the student section despite the distance from campus and a mediocre at best on field product. They have pretty good tailgating that probably would rank 3rd in the ACC behind only FSU and Clemson and regularly are above 90% capacity.

As a fan of neither I can say the reason NC State does better with attendance is because they have far superior tailgating and game day experience. Students, locals, and alumni all show up because it is an event that is fun.

I think with Syracuse's rich history and a premier off campus football facility with parking and great tailgating, the community would show up in much greater numbers. I actually think if it really became an event instead of just a football game more students would show up despite being off campus. Larger crowds should lead to stronger recruiting. Stronger recruiting should bring more wins and more wins make the game day event an even better experience.

That's just my two cents. Go Cuse

I almost never tailgated football games during my time on the hill (08-12).

Actually, usually only drank for the bball games. And by drank I mean binge drank, snuck alcohol in, then blacked out for a portion of the game.
I don't get this. This supports my opinion that S.U. students are among the worst student sections in the country. Unless your team is winning...noon, and a hangover, are good enough reasons to not go support your team? Come basketball season though, those 2 obstacles don't seem to matter to "Otto's Army" as they will gladly show up for a 12-1'oclock game. Otto's Army are a bunch of fairweather fans who's goal isn't to promote their school and help out their team, they're just a bunch of students who want 5 seconds on T.V. I mean holy crap, SU gave away free tickets to students for the first two home games and they left by halftime of the first game. What do you guys need...free booze as well? Free skinny jean handouts? Justin Bieber posters? Damn kids and their stupid twitterbook, and facepage. Always on their phones looking at the interweb!! WATCH SOME FREEKING FOOTBALL AND STOP TAKING SELFIES!!!!

I don't get this. This supports my opinion that S.U. students are among the worst student sections in the country. Unless your team is winning...noon, and a hangover, are good enough reasons to not go support your team? Come basketball season though, those 2 obstacles don't seem to matter to "Otto's Army" as they will gladly show up for a 12-1'oclock game. Otto's Army are a bunch of fairweather fans who's goal isn't to promote their school and help out their team, they're just a bunch of students who want 5 seconds on T.V. I mean holy crap, SU gave away free tickets to students for the first two home games and they left by halftime of the first game. What do you guys need...free booze as well? Free skinny jean handouts? Justin Bieber posters? Damn kids and their stupid twitterbook, and facepage. Always on their phones looking at the interweb!! WATCH SOME FREEKING FOOTBALL AND STOP TAKING SELFIES!!!!

Lol. Oh the irony. What don't you get? Enlighten me. Please point out where I said I didn't support the football team. I'll wait.

I see a lot of references to "you" in there, aka me. You're calling out the wrong person, rest assured.

SU had a good decade of attendance in the late 80s-90s. They didn't have better parking back then.

PS: I like our parking lot. Perfect for tailgating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom