New stadium a different twist | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New stadium a different twist

Look, having a great tailgating spot would be awesome and I'm all for it if we can make it happen. But if that were the main reason, why does basketball draw so well? I don't see many tailgaters December-February.

There are several possibilities. Speaking from someone who considers time to be a valuable commodity. Here are just a few

1. People like to be associated with a winner. Our basketball team has undoubtably been more successful than football

2. While we draw better for basketball our attendence isn't bigger than football. Getting 45,000+ in the dome for football nearly 1/15 of the metro population and about double what we get for most basketball games.

3. Going to a football game is a bigger time commitment. I look at it like a round of golf. I love playing but with a busy schedule I prefer playing 9 holes over 18. Basketball games take up about half the time commitment of a football game.

4. Fall is beautiful in upstate NY and there are other options for things to do on Saturdays.

There are only 6-7 home football games a year. With the amount of time people need to commit to go to a football game it needs to be an event and the place to be.

When/where did he say that? Not saying he didn't, but I don't recall hearing/reading that.
What are rules on posting links to articles? It was in one of Nate Minks articles on attendance today over at a well known syracuse news website.

I know I'm going to get heat for this since it's systemic, definitely not within the university's control but much like baseball games - college football games are too long. Baseball has tried to do something about it, basketball has addressed speeding up the game, yet not college football. Working people,families, students etc have only so much discretionary free time on weekends. I leave for noon games at 10:15am and staying for the entire game and leaving immediately, I'm lucky if I get home at 4 to 4:30pm and I'm local. Compare the time investment with basketball games and some of the questions being asked comparing support, might be partially answered. You see an hour of action in a college football game yet have to be in your seats for 3 and a half hours to see it played. To see a college football game, you get 20 additional minutes of action, that takes an hour and a half more to complete.(2 hours for average basketball game vs 3 and a half hours averaged for football games) Way too much dead time in games because of TV etc for young kids to become engaged too.

Is it the only factor? Of course not, but talking to local families and the time investment needed for weekend football games is a definite deterrent. I bet SU is far from alone too.

PSU has a cow field (literally, that's where they keep their cows during non-games) that is right next to the stadium (you can actually literally park on the stadium lawn) and it is 100% filled with tailgaters. Some people actually tailgate and then don't go to the game (obviously most people go to the game, but it isn't unheard of to only go for tailgating). You're wrong about PSU.
Because of the cows in that cow field, PSU's Creamery sells some of the best ice cream I've ever tasted.:p

Cheriehoop said:
I know I'm going to get heat for this since it's systemic, definitely not within the university's control but much like baseball games - college football games are too long. Baseball has tried to do something about it, basketball has addressed speeding up the game, yet not college football. Working people,families, students etc have only so much discretionary free time on weekends. I leave for noon games at 10:15am and staying for the entire game and leaving immediately, I'm lucky if I get home at 4 to 4:30pm and I'm local. Compare the time investment with basketball games and some of the questions being asked comparing support, might be partially answered. You see an hour of action in a college football game yet have to be there for 3 and a half hours to see it played. To see a college football game, you get 20 additional minutes of action, that takes an hour and a half to complete.(2 hours for average basketball game vs 3 and a half hours averaged for football games) Way too much dead time in games because of TV etc for young kids to become engaged too. Is it the only factor? Of course not, but talking to local families and the time investment for weekend football games is a definite deterrent. I bet SU is far from alone too.
I'm with you . I want three hour games

Last edited:
Actually there was more parking back then closer to the Dome.
Are the dome lots nearest to the stadium filled now? I have never really parked that close.

What are rules on posting links to articles? It was in one of Nate Minks articles on attendance today over at a well known syracuse news website.
Feel free to post the link. Nothing wrong with that.

Its the same reason some people are religious. They don't like their current life..and feel the need to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Basketball gives Salt City people SUNSHINE in the harshest of winters. I don't mean no disrespect for any religious people out there btw.
Weird of you to inject your view of religion here. Do you have actual proof of your statement or is it just your opinion? (Rolls eyes)

My opinion is that tailgating does matter and a new off campus stadium is the way to go.

Living in Raleigh NC I have had the opportunity to go to a few games at both UNC and NC State. While neither is know as a traditional powerhouse UNC undoubtably has much better football history and tradition. Both have much better basketball tradition than football with UNC again being the higher profile of the two programs. I realize both are large state schools with large alumni bases but I believe it's a good comparison of on and off campus football facilities.

UNC is a lot more like SU, playing their home games at an on campus stadium. They typically have announced crowds about 2/3 of capacity with actual fans in the seats being much lower. Even though it is on campus student interest only really happens when top ranked teams or rivals are playing. UNC parking is spread out and usually a good walk to the stadium. Getting in and out of Chapel Hill to Keenan Memorial Stadium can be difficult. The parking that is there is mostly in garages and there is little opportunity for tailgating.

About 20 minutes away NC State plays at Carter Finley Stadium. The stadium is not on campus. It shares parking with both the State Fairgrounds and PNC Arena. The parking is close to the stadium, easy to get in and out of, and there aren't any parking garages. NC State students regularly fill the student section despite the distance from campus and a mediocre at best on field product. They have pretty good tailgating that probably would rank 3rd in the ACC behind only FSU and Clemson and regularly are above 90% capacity.

As a fan of neither I can say the reason NC State does better with attendance is because they have far superior tailgating and game day experience. Students, locals, and alumni all show up because it is an event that is fun.

I think with Syracuse's rich history and a premier off campus football facility with parking and great tailgating, the community would show up in much greater numbers. I actually think if it really became an event instead of just a football game more students would show up despite being off campus. Larger crowds should lead to stronger recruiting. Stronger recruiting should bring more wins and more wins make the game day event an even better experience.

That's just my two cents. Go Cuse

Been to both as well...figured NCSU being the ag and tech school made some sense at the fairgrounds. Also Raleigh is a lot bigger than Chapel Hill.

Our setup is a lot like UNC.

I don't get this. This supports my opinion that S.U. students are among the worst student sections in the country. Unless your team is winning...noon, and a hangover, are good enough reasons to not go support your team? Come basketball season though, those 2 obstacles don't seem to matter to "Otto's Army" as they will gladly show up for a 12-1'oclock game. Otto's Army are a bunch of fairweather fans who's goal isn't to promote their school and help out their team, they're just a bunch of students who want 5 seconds on T.V. I mean holy crap, SU gave away free tickets to students for the first two home games and they left by halftime of the first game. What do you guys need...free booze as well? Free skinny jean handouts? Justin Bieber posters? Damn kids and their stupid twitterbook, and facepage. Always on their phones looking at the interweb!! WATCH SOME FREEKING FOOTBALL AND STOP TAKING SELFIES!!!!

If you already live someplace why would you need to stand in a parking lot with your car to drink? Tailgating is something that gets better with age (as your fun free time goes away).

I know I'm going to get heat for this since it's systemic, definitely not within the university's control but much like baseball games - college football games are too long. Baseball has tried to do something about it, basketball has addressed speeding up the game, yet not college football. Working people,families, students etc have only so much discretionary free time on weekends. I leave for noon games at 10:15am and staying for the entire game and leaving immediately, I'm lucky if I get home at 4 to 4:30pm and I'm local. Compare the time investment with basketball games and some of the questions being asked comparing support, might be partially answered. You see an hour of action in a college football game yet have to be in your seats for 3 and a half hours to see it played. To see a college football game, you get 20 additional minutes of action, that takes an hour and a half more to complete.(2 hours for average basketball game vs 3 and a half hours averaged for football games) Way too much dead time in games because of TV etc for young kids to become engaged too.

Is it the only factor? Of course not, but talking to local families and the time investment needed for weekend football games is a definite deterrent. I bet SU is far from alone too.
the TV time outs are brutal

#1 They were given free tickets to attend. It's sad that it's gotten to this point.
#2 They were mostly gone by halftime.
#3 Coyle said he will not be issuing free tickets any more. Let's see how many students show up Saturday now.
#4 Can you honestly say that when you watch games on T.V. that our student participation comes even close to other schools? I don't care if it's Vanderbilt...their student sections are packed, engaged, and rocking. Ours need free tickets, and then they leave at halftime.

So what if freshman got free tix and all students the second game? Is that their fault? They weren't gone at halftime vs Wake. They were vs RI cause the game was over. Nothing on your list warrants bashing the students the first 2 games. At least wait till they don't show up. BTW, were you there?

I don't get this. This supports my opinion that S.U. students are among the worst student sections in the country. Unless your team is winning...noon, and a hangover, are good enough reasons to not go support your team? Come basketball season though, those 2 obstacles don't seem to matter to "Otto's Army" as they will gladly show up for a 12-1'oclock game. Otto's Army are a bunch of fairweather fans who's goal isn't to promote their school and help out their team, they're just a bunch of students who want 5 seconds on T.V. I mean holy crap, SU gave away free tickets to students for the first two home games and they left by halftime of the first game. What do you guys need...free booze as well? Free skinny jean handouts? Justin Bieber posters? Damn kids and their stupid twitterbook, and facepage. Always on their phones looking at the interweb!! WATCH SOME FREEKING FOOTBALL AND STOP TAKING SELFIES!!!!
and also - Get Off My Lawn

The travel to the dome, parking and the trudge up to it during the cold snowy winter is worse than for football... but I agree, it does not hinder attendance much.

People like to be affiliated with a winner. That's why so many go to basketball games.
CNYers are a hardy bunch when so inclined.

Because of the cows in that cow field, PSU's Creamery sells some of the best ice cream I've ever tasted.:p
Yeah, it's actually not bad. I hear UMD's ice cream is better, though I've never sampled it. Actually, on the topic of collegiate ice cream, Cornell isn't shabby, either.

So what if freshman got free tix and all students the second game? Is that their fault? They weren't gone at halftime vs Wake. They were vs RI cause the game was over. Nothing on your list warrants bashing the students the first 2 games. At least wait till they don't show up. BTW, were you there?
Of course I was. I actually work most weekends, and adjust my schedule to make it. I'll work a midnight shift Friday night to make sure I get there. I was at Wake, and noticed a significant decline in the students section. Like I said, now that there are no free tickets for students, let's see how many show up on saturday. If I'm wrong, I will gladly come back here, respond to my own post, and eat crow...or at least type that I ate some crow...you'll just have to believe me.

Yeah, it's actually not bad. I hear UMD's ice cream is better, though I've never sampled it. Actually, on the topic of collegiate ice cream, Cornell isn't shabby, either.
I think PSU's ice cream is funded by Ben and Jerry themselves

I don't know, basketball attendance for students has been waning the past few years. You think the student section would be packed for us to play GTech at noon on a Saturday? Not a chance. It wouldn't have even happened between 2009-2012, which was arguably our student section's finest moments.
Nah. Mid to late 80's is when the students rocked it. In basketball, we had half the section in front of the blue curtain, plus the 2 sections right behind the basket, and spill over from that. The SSS was rated the #1 pep band. We were, loud, somewhat vulgar and entertaining.

I was just wondering about this today. They say that Syracuse is just not a football town. They say fans will only show up if you win.

Syracuse is an "EVENT" town. Always has been always will be. Hold a good EVENT and people show up.

Basketball games are EVENTS
Taste of Syracuse is an EVENT
Big concerts at the Dome are EVENTS

Those 6 Saturday's SU has a home football game need to be events!! The outside of a new stadium or the dome on gameday needs to be a cross between the NYS Fair Midway and the Taste of Syracuse. Have a tailgating scene and food trucks everywhere. Just like at the Fan Fest have a booth were people can get pictures with former players. Maybe have some games for kids. Make those 6 days an "EVENT" and people will show up regardless if SU is winning or losing on the field.

The world has changed and times have changed. SU hasn't changed over time. The days of people just showing up "for the games" are long over with. Need to dress up the games with bells and whistles to draw people in. Otherwise people can stay at home and watch the games on TV for free on their 55 or 60 inch TV and are fine with it. Give people a reason to leave there house and head up to the Dome. Selling "football" isn't enough anymore (at least in Syracuse it isn't, in SEC country its a different story)

The funny thing is that when the pace of play in football is slow (boring) games go faster. When the pace is high (exciting) the game goes slower. Baseball is boring because nothing happens over 3 hours 15 minutes. I find that college basketball has become boring as nothing happens over 2 hours 15 minutes (pace and scores are way down yet somehow we have added 15 minutes the last few years to the college game). In addition football has always been seen as an all day affair. And in other parts of the country it is a several day affair.

I understand the time commitment angle but that is part of football. Plus you only get to see your team play so many times a year. If the game is boring (Rhode Island) I want it to end quickly. If the game is fun (BC 2 years ago), I never want the game to end.

Being a baseball fan you are looking at a 19.5 hour commitment for 27 weeks (either at the game or watching on TV). Being a college basketball fan a 4.5 hour commitment for 15 weeks. College football takes a 3.5 hour commitment for 12 weeks. If you are not missing any of the action, college football is a lot less time consuming.

The funny thing is that when the pace of play in football is slow (boring) games go faster. When the pace is high (exciting) the game goes slower. Baseball is boring because nothing happens over 3 hours 15 minutes. I find that college basketball has become boring as nothing happens over 2 hours 15 minutes (pace and scores are way down yet somehow we have added 15 minutes the last few years to the college game). In addition football has always been seen as an all day affair. And in other parts of the country it is a several day affair.

I understand the time commitment angle but that is part of football. Plus you only get to see your team play so many times a year. If the game is boring (Rhode Island) I want it to end quickly. If the game is fun (BC 2 years ago), I never want the game to end.

Being a baseball fan you are looking at a 19.5 hour commitment for 27 weeks (either at the game or watching on TV). Being a college basketball fan a 4.5 hour commitment for 15 weeks. College football takes a 3.5 hour commitment for 12 weeks. If you are not missing any of the action, college football is a lot less time consuming.
i think football is popular because it's not as time consuming. if you think of a season like a story, you get to watch the whole story. and you have time left over to watch some other teams stories. in other sports, who can keep up with it? and who has time to watch a lot of other teams in baseball and hockey when you spend so much time on your own.

but when games take 4 hours, that's a lot to stomach at once. especially in the context of going to a game. there might be some threshold where locals just don't want to lose the whole day. the leaves do need to get raked

The solution is, is it convenient for me?

Tailgating lots in close proximity to the stadium would be a good draw for people, and create a more pleasurable experience for the casual fan (see, Buffalo)

But then again - I don't think the "casual fan" is showing up 3 hours early to tailgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom