NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL | Syracusefan.com

NEWSFLASH TO THE SYRACUSE MEDIA WHO READ THIS SITE SOMEBODY ASK GROSS ABOUT METLIFE DEAL

Alsacs

Living Legend
This is the week somebody in the media has to have the stones and get Dr. Gross on the record. These Metlife games that are true Syracuse home games are a joke. If we want accountability in the SU AD then the media has to ask the questions. Neutral site games are fine but SU home games should at the Carrier Dome.

Gross has skated by for far to long without explaining where the future SU games at Metlife will come from. If no questions get asked then Gross and co. aren't held accountable.
In March 2011, Syracuse and Metlife announced their would be 10 Syracuse football games to be scheduled between 2019 and 2038. Gross has still been crickets on this issue. Why?

Well it won't be Axe asking him. Said on his show yesterday that Cuse wouldn't be playing ND if it wasn't at MetLife, so he didn't want anyone calling and complaining about the location of the game. "It's not 2003 and it's the only way Syracuse is going to play Notre Dame". Guess he missed that whole scheduling deal with the ACC...

Alsacs- the answer to your question is $. I don't know why Gross won't just come out and say it though.

In the long run this is a very smart move for SU. Sooner or later we will win one of these games and the exposure will be much more significant than a win at the Dome. I also love being in NY for an SU game in the fall, I live in Miami 2 1/2 hours and I'm in NY for a great weekend. The games on national tv from the biggest media center in the world. What's so bad about it?

In the long run this is a very smart move for SU. Sooner or later we will win one of these games and the exposure will be much more significant than a win at the Dome. I also love being in NY for an SU game in the fall, I live in Miami 2 1/2 hours and I'm in NY for a great weekend. The games on national tv from the biggest media center in the world. What's so bad about it?

The biggest issues are that it is not a true "home" game. You do not have home field advantage in a packed dome against a quality opponent, the team has to travel to the "home" game and get set up like any away game (might not seem overly significant but it does/can have an effect on the team), it is one less "home" game a year that season ticketholders get to see which also happens to be a marque game that season ticketholders lose out on, and many fans feel disrespected by the Athletics Depart. for one or more of the reasons stated (right or wrong many have canceled their season tickets because of this issue).
For out-of-towners its great, its in an easy to get to location/venue. For the ACC and the University it means more $ and exposure. Might be good for recruiting playing on a big stage in NYC against big time opponent but im sure there’s an argument against it because your not going to have the dome packed to the gills and rocking. I think that in a nut shell are the quick and dirty pros and cons. And im sure im still missing a few on both sides.

its a kick in the nuts to season ticket holders, but its not changing so there is no reason to complain about it. we all know it stinks, and quite frankly Im not sure a 38-7 drubbing vs ND in a neutral "home" game is better for the program than a 38-7 win over a school like Purdue or Illinois.

Well it won't be Axe asking him. Said on his show yesterday that Cuse wouldn't be playing ND if it wasn't at MetLife, so he didn't want anyone calling and complaining about the location of the game. "It's not 2003 and it's the only way Syracuse is going to play Notre Dame". Guess he missed that whole scheduling deal with the ACC...

Alsacs- the answer to your question is $. I don't know why Gross won't just come out and say it though.

Yeah I don't understand why Axe would say that; I figured he understood the ND/ACC scheduling deal. Fact is, the only reason ND is not coming to the Dome is that ND and SU are honoring a contract pre-dating the ACC deal, otherwise this game and future games would be in Syracuse.

ND went to Wake in 2011, they've also visited Pitt and BC frequently - all SU peer programs. What programs are more "big time" than LSU? They've been substantially more successful than ND for two decades and they had no problem agreeing to a home and home with us.

CNY in Miami said:

What's grater, the exposure of winning one game in NYC or 2 to 3 wins in the Dome? I'll take the wins in the Dome any day.

considering that the only person on the planet, who likely believes that ND will NEVER come to the Dome is you, why dont you send him email??

and have it set for autosend every few days till he answers.

there is at least a partyline answer that you could find out.

im curious as well.

If Axe actually said what Full Rebar said what a dolt. We agreed to this deal because we were stuck with Big East, but Notre Dame would be playing us in the Dome under the ACC agreement because they wouldn't have had a choice.
Dr. Gross should come and answer where their those 10 games committed to Metlife are coming from. He hasn't and that makes no sense and the media should ask and he Gross should answer. I don't live in CNY but it screws season ticket holders and local business.

Last edited:
considering that the only person on the planet, who likely believes that ND will NEVER come to the Dome is you, why dont you send him email??

and have it set for autosend every few days till he answers.

there is at least a partyline answer that you could find out.

im curious as well.
I have asked Gross and can PM you the response I got from him. I want Gross answering questions about these 10 Metlife games. The original PC was 3 years ago and he and SU still haven't said if these games will be home/Metlife series with non-conference teams, ACC home games down in Metlife, or true neutral site games. Why hasn't Gross answered or told us fans these answers?

its a kick in the nuts to season ticket holders, but its not changing so there is no reason to complain about it. we all know it stinks, and quite frankly Im not sure a 38-7 drubbing vs ND in a neutral "home" game is better for the program than a 38-7 win over a school like Purdue or Illinois.
38-7 ? Dang, I better get my ass to Vegas. lol

Money is obviously a reason for Metlife games, but you kill the people most loyal to the program by moving priemere home games to Metlife. Season ticket holders have to pay for the extra game in their packages. I have 4 season tickets I live in Charlotte, NC. I don't pay for the Metlife games. Gross has never said where those 10 games he committed to Metlife will come from. Why? This is a legitimate question that has gone unanswered.
However, I am glad whoever chooses to do so does, but the fact is our TV money from the ACC has gone from 3 million a year to 20 million a year. I am all for getting money, but not at the expense of moving games to Metlife. If we are going to choose to go after every dollar then Gross should have us play road games for a paycheck every year like a mid-major because we would make more money playing a road game then a home game.

In March 2011, Syracuse and Metlife announced their would be 10 Syracuse football games to be scheduled between 2019 and 2038. Gross has still been crickets on this issue. Why?
this doesn't even start for another 5 years - why are your panties all up in a wad and why does this NEED TO BE ANSWERED this week? good lord, do you think the current college football landscape would have been predicted 5 years ago? he probably doesn't know at this point who all these teams over the next 25 YEARS will be. Calm down.

Alsacs said:
Money is obviously a reason for Metlife games, but you kill the people most loyal to the program by moving priemere home games to Metlife. Season ticket holders have to pay for the extra game in their packages. I have 4 season tickets I live in Charlotte, NC. I don't pay for the Metlife games. Gross has never said where those 10 games he committed to Metlife will come from. Why? This is a legitimate question that has gone unanswered. However, I am glad whoever chooses to do so does, but the fact is our TV money from the ACC has gone from 3 million a year to 20 million a year. I am all for getting money, but not at the expense of moving games to Metlife. If we are going to choose to go after every dollar then Gross should have us play road games for a paycheck every year like a mid-major because we would make more money playing a road game then a home game.

I'm a season ticket holder, loyal to the program and I'm fine with the MetLife games. Great exposure for the program. We wouldn't be getting a prime time game on national TV if it was played at the Dome. I drive 4 plus hours to go to SU games. People from Syracuse can do that once a year.

this doesn't even start for another 5 years - why are your panties all up in a wad and why does this NEED TO BE ANSWERED this week? good lord, do you think the current college football landscape would have been predicted 5 years ago? he probably doesn't know at this point who all these teams over the next 25 YEARS will be. Calm down.
We are playing this week's game where? Metlife Stadium. This series has been failure since 2 of the 3 games we will be playing at Metlife will be SU "home" games. I get before we joined the ACC that ND wouldn't play us home/home well Gross could have tried to get these Metlife games cancelled the second we joined the ACC or the second Notre Dame committed 5 games annually to the ACC. Nobody in the media has asked Gross about these subjects? Why? The guy loves being interviewed and the attention. He should answer these questions and tell his customers and supporters the truth. When nothing is asked then nothing is answered. Once you get the answer whether I agree with it or not I respect the answer. Are these games at Metlife going to be SU home games, conference games or neutral site game? Gross should answer this question.

I'm a season ticket holder, loyal to the program and I'm fine with the MetLife games. Great exposure for the program. We wouldn't be getting a prime time game on national TV if it was played at the Dome. I drive 4 plus hours to go to SU games. People from Syracuse can do that once a year.
Every ESPN controlled Notre Dame game has been in Primetime since 2009 with 1 exception a 2012 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh game was on ABC at 12pm.
Notre Dame games are put on night when ESPN controls them. If this game was at the Dome it would be at night.

Alsacs said:
We are playing this week's game where? Metlife Stadium. This series has been failure since 2 of the 3 games we will be playing at Metlife will be SU "home" games. I get before we joined the ACC that ND wouldn't play us home/home well Gross could have tried to get these Metlife games cancelled the second we joined the ACC or the second Notre Dame committed 5 games annually to the ACC. Nobody in the media has asked Gross about these subjects? Why? The guy loves being interviewed and the attention. He should answer these questions and tell his customers and supporters the truth. When nothing is asked then nothing is answered. Once you get the answer whether I agree with it or not I respect the answer. Are these games at Metlife going to be SU home games, conference games or neutral site game? Gross should answer this question.

No offense - and you raise good points - but it seems like you're shouting into the wind a bit. Sounds like most people are resigned to the details of this arrangement.

No offense - and you raise good points - but it seems like you're shouting into the wind a bit. Sounds like most people are resigned to the details of this arrangement.
Whether I am shouting into the wind a bit is your opinion. I will never tell anybody not to have an opinion. I raise an issue if people disagree with me I have no problems, but if I am not consistent then when stuff like this happens and I don't raise the issue then I feel I would have no right to complain.

I complain about this stuff because our AD should answer these questions. If he wants the glory when its good he should answer the tough questions and let the fanbase know the truth. If we disagree we can't do anything but refuse to give our money. I want Gross to answer questions. This is the week this question should be asked because the game is at Metlife. I get some people are okay with this situation. I am not, but understand the people who are okay with it. He should answer these questions and if people feel differently I never want to hear them complain about anything from the SU AD or its Dept members.

Alsacs said:
Every ESPN controlled Notre Dame game has been in Primetime since 2009 with 1 exception a 2012 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh game was on ABC at 12pm. Notre Dame games are put on night when ESPN controls them. If this game was at the Dome it would be at night.

This is all part of Gross' marketing strategy to promote SU as NY's College Team. It wasn't going to work if we played every game 4 hours from NYC in a 49,000-seat stadium.

He has answered the question, pre ACC move anyway. I imagine he would say something similar now.

"The whole concept of playing at MetLife Stadium is to become more attractive to recruits. We know that playing in Madison Square Garden, in a pro arena, has had a tremendous effect on our basketball recruiting and our national basketball brand. I mean, people are happy to refer to Madison Square Garden as our home away from home. And, if you notice, we have an amazing amount of fans there. We outdraw everybody we play in that building. So we’re trying to use that same model for football.

“We need to help football. We want to give ourselves a chance to compete at the national level. To do that we have to get the best recruits in our part of the country, so we’ve got be more creative than we’ve been in the past. Is this financially resourceful? Yes, it is. I would tell you that playing one of those games at MetLife Stadium will bring in money that is more than 70 percent of our entire football budget, which isn’t the highest. We don’t have the budgets of Ohio State, Texas and Florida.

“I don’t think any of us would want to play every game in the Carrier Dome if it meant we had to be a mediocre team. We believe we have the right football coach in Doug Marrone; now we have to produce the level of resources he needs in order to win.

“This is one of those times when we need to ask not what the football program can do for you, but what you can do for the football program. And what we need for you to do is get on that wonderful train, travel down to New Jersey and root on the Orange at MetLife Stadium just as we root on the Orange at Madison Square Garden.”

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2012/08/the_morning_orange_daryl_gross.html

This is all part of Gross' marketing strategy to promote SU as NY's College Team. It wasn't going to work if we played every game 4 hours from NYC in a 49,000-seat stadium.
See but now you aren't consistent. Your first response was the game wouldn't be at night if it was at the Dome. That is wrong. Gross marketing us as NY College team is a joke. We only got 39k(SU home game)for the NUMBER 2 ranked team in the nation at Metlife in 2012, 61k(true neutral site game and Penn State had double the fans to SU) for Penn State in 2013.

These games were at 85k stadium. We haven't gotten any top recruits from NYC because of the games. We are never going to have the FB brand in NYC anywhere close to BB in NYC until we will 9-10 win season for a decade. I am sorry but this game will do nothing for SU FB brand. The stadium for an SU "home" game on national TV will have more Notre Dame fans in attendance. That is great for SU FB brand in NYC.

Alsacs said:
Whether I am shouting into the wind a bit is your opinion. I will never tell anybody not to have an opinion. I raise an issue if people disagree with me I have no problems, but if I am not consistent then when stuff like this happens and I don't raise the issue then I feel I would have no right to complain. I complain about this stuff because our AD should answer these questions. If he wants the glory when its good he should answer the tough questions and let the fanbase know the truth. If we disagree we can't do anything but refuse to give our money. I want Gross to answer questions. This is the week this question should be asked because the game is at Metlife. I get some people are okay with this situation. I am not, but understand the people who are okay with it. He should answer these questions and if people feel differently I never want to hear them complain about anything from the SU AD or its Dept members.

You're entitled to your opinion. I was judging the boards reaction - which was "meh" ... You can say whatever you like. It just might not lead to the result you're after.

SU screwed people in the NY metro area when it joined the ACC. We lost 6-8 football, basketball and lacrosse games a year. I see the MetLife games as a payback to those fans like myself.