Next year’s roster | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Next year’s roster

You recruit development prospects.
Guys who aren’t expected to command big minutes as Freshmen/Sophomores but as upperclassmen can contribute.
Schools that aren’t loaded with talent do this.
There aren't many kids nowadays who are willing to go to a top-flight program to develop, meanwhile being recruited over every season.

There aren't many kids nowadays who are willing to go to a top-flight program to develop, meanwhile being recruited over every season.
Villanova does it.
Michigan State does it.
North Carolina does it.
Oregon does it.
Baylor does it.
Oklahoma does it.
Basically every school except Kentucky and Duke does it.
Syracuse used to do it.

Josh Pace was a 3 star recruit who fits this.
Same for Andy Rautins.
Would you not want us to use scholarships on these type players.
1.) Pace was more than 3 stars. He got hurt in high school, and some schools were not willing to take the chance that he would get back to top form.

2.) Andy Rautins was a local kid and a legacy. Total exception.

Josh Pace was a 3 star recruit who fits this.
Same for Andy Rautins.
Would you not want us to use scholarships on these type players.

At one point Pace was a top 60 player but he slipped out of the top 100 when he was hurt and missed most of the summer camps before his SR year. He still made a few top 100 lists even so.

At one point Pace was a top 60 player but he slipped out of the top 100 when he was hurt and missed most of the summer camps before his SR year. He still made a few top 100 lists even so.
We took him as kid who wasn’t going to play right away.
We can do that still.
Everyone who says we shouldn’t use our full allotment of scholarships would argue kids don’t want to wait.
Pace waited.

Villanova does it.
Michigan State does it.
North Carolina does it.
Oregon does it.
Baylor does it.
Oklahoma does it.
Basically every school except Kentucky and Duke does it.
Syracuse used to do it.
That's a lot of BS in one post.

Yes, Villanova does it--although it could be argued that many of the players they have got over the past 5 years have been under-rated coming out of high school.

UNC--I have no idea how they get kids to stay. (Maybe the class schedule;)). Look at their 2009 championship roster--Ellington and Green, each at least a 4 star. Lawson and Hansborough, both McD 5 stars.Two juniors, 2 seniors. Who else has been able to keep that many blue chips around for so long?

Oregon--no. Basically their entire team left after the past season. Between legal problems and early entries, they have had a revolving door in Eugene.

Michigan St? Bridges, Langford and Jackson were all McD's. Winston was Michigan Mr Basketball. The only ones that fit this profile are Schilling and Nairn--who was recruited over every year, and is not appreciably better than he was when he arrived. And, of course, Izzo is the biggest reason they are an annual player.

I would never want to be compared to Baylor in any way.

Oklahoma has been Griffin and Young, and not much else.

Last edited:
We took him as kid who wasn’t going to play right away.
We can do that still.
Everyone who says we shouldn’t use our full allotment of scholarships would argue kids don’t want to wait.
Pace waited.
Pace played a lot as a freshman, and was a key player for the 2003 champs.

I can't speak for everyone, but I never said we should not take a full allotment--if they are all players. Not so incidentally, we had our full allotment of 11 this season. But Hughes is a redshirt, and Thompson and Thorpe bailed.

With a legit 9 on the roster we will press.
JB wants to press. If we have the depth to not worry about fatigue or foul trouble he will mix it in.
We need a big who can post up. I really hope we are recruiting another big. We need a full roster.
Same thing is said every year, usually around this time and followed by NOT having a legit 9 and or pressing. Just saying;

Has JB ever benched a starter than next year? I know OB and DB are better than Matt but you really think JB will demote him?

Allen Griffen his junior year. Then he and Damone Brown came back to lead the 2001 team that was a lot better than people expected. So there is precedent.

Hence I am bringing it up now.
We have 1 scholarship for next year now.
We recruited Roberts and he chose Washington.
So we still have a scholarship.
We can thank Griff for Bazley so I hope the guy can find another.

We're looking for another big man. He said that before that kid went to play for Hop in Washington. I'm guessing we will add a 5th year or JUCO big man and another guard when Battle declares.

Barring something unforeseen, I'd be astonished if Chukwu wasn't our starting C next year. I think the only real question regarding starters is Hughes or Carey, though both will play a ton.

I'm truly shocked at how much he has improved with the playing time.
This has been a key to us not going under with this reduced roster.

To me, Sidibe looked like the better prospect before his knee and ankle started acting up. But Chukwu has really, really improved. Really happy to see it.

I'm truly shocked at how much he has improved with the playing time.
This has been a key to us not going under with this reduced roster.

To me, Sidibe looked like the better prospect before his knee and ankle started acting up. But Chukwu has really, really improved. Really happy to see it.

Agree with both points.

If they are both back and healthy next year that’s the best center pair since at least Xmas-Keita, and probably since melo-keita. (Xmas really didn’t develop into a legit player since his senior year, and Keita wasn’t much different a player as a sophomore and a senior).

Those years we weren’t at 13 we had Upperclassmen to lead the team.

We have no Seniors right now and look at the team. It’s struggling. Upperclassmen are important.
13 players is a lot to ask. Recruit players depth is important.
So you can survive injuries.
If we had another big Sidibe wouldn’t be gutting it out.

This current roster is paying for the lost scholarships as Johnson and Patterson would still be here as Seniors.

Was Chino Obokoh part of that class, too? Or was he the year before?
We had a BUNCH of misses during that stretch.

I wouldn't either, but I really hope it doesn't happen. All three of these guys have such potential to be really good as juniors and seniors. That would be a huge loss if it were to happen.

Then if you want those guys to stick around, you have to make them feel like they are part of the team. That's what the pre-conference is for - to get a sense of what the bench guys can do, and to build depth for later in the year in case anybody gets injured, or goes into a slump.

You recruit development prospects.
Guys who aren’t expected to command big minutes as Freshmen/Sophomores but as upperclassmen can contribute.
Schools that aren’t loaded with talent do this.

Every team should do this. Why do you think it is that teams like Kansas and Notre Dame and Wisconsin always seem to have upperclassmen? NBA talent still goes to a lot of teams like those, but you balance out your big talents with program guys.

Every team should do this. Why do you think it is that teams like Kansas and Notre Dame and Wisconsin always seem to have upperclassmen? NBA talent still goes to a lot of teams like those, but you balance out your big talents with program guys.

Syracuse does this too? On this year’s team alone, Moyer, dolezaj, Sidibe, and Chukwu are all program guys who are getting a lot of development time. (Washington is a four-year guy too but I will grant that he’s not getting minutes he should.)

And before the last two years, Syracuse was led by upperclassman for many years - gbinje and Christmas and cooney and fair and triche and Joseph and scoop and Jackson and Arinze and Rautins and ...

The fact that no one from that 13 class stuck around was a real disaster for the program but it was also an anamoly.

Then if you want those guys to stick around, you have to make them feel like they are part of the team. That's what the pre-conference is for - to get a sense of what the bench guys can do, and to build depth for later in the year in case anybody gets injured, or goes into a slump.
I’m all for that. Matt and Marek should be splitting time pretty evenly, unless we’re playing against a zone, where Marek has proven to be the better matchup.

When it comes to HW, I have been very vocal about him deserving more PT. He isn’t a big time player right now, but if anyone doesn’t recognize the potential he has, then they just don’t know the game. We are a better offensive team with him on the floor, and I don’t believe there is a huge dip on the defensive end with him in. Where we do suffer is on the boards, and there really isn’t a real good reason why Tyus is unable to rebound at a regular clip. In the words of JB, we don’t really box out, we just go get the rebound. Well Tyus is athletic and strong enough to go get some rebounds!

Syracuse does this too? On this year’s team alone, Moyer, dolezaj, Sidibe, and Chukwu are all program guys who are getting a lot of development time. (Washington is a four-year guy too but I will grant that he’s not getting minutes he should.)

And before the last two years, Syracuse was led by upperclassman for many years - gbinje and Christmas and cooney and fair and triche and Joseph and scoop and Jackson and Arinze and Rautins and ...

The fact that no one from that 13 class stuck around was a real disaster for the program but it was also an anamoly.

But they have to stick around, Walt, and we have to pick ones that are good enough to develop, and actually invest some playing time in them so that they DO improve.

PG- Carey
SG- Howard
SF- Brissett
PF- Bazley
C- Chukwu

Bench: Hughes, Moyer, Dolezaj, Sidibe, Washington, Boeheim(non-scholarship)
I am assuming Battle is gone.
We have 2 more scholarships to give out who are we recruiting for next year?
We could use another guard and big.
Even if Battle is back we still have another scholarship and this program needs a full roster and use the extra scholarship.

You're probably right, that's certainly the most potent offensive line-up as it seems right now, but I could see:

PG-
Howard
SG- Carey
SF-
Bazley
PF- Moyer
C- Chukwu

with Moyer perhaps setting a tone of effort/toughness to start games/2nd halves...

.. then bring in Brissett as the superlative 6-man (sell him on the Dion model). Regardless, it'll be exciting - lots of options - that will be crazy (perhaps even to a detriment) if Battle tests and decides to return.

Carey or Hughes will play the Dion role next year. Carey can play the 1 or 2. Hughes the 2 or 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom