Next year starting D | Syracusefan.com

Next year starting D

kcsu

Living Legend
DT: Clark/Samuels
DE: Pickard/Sheppard. Note that Kenny Carter will be playing until Shep and Ealey return
LB: Franklin, Hodge, Bennett
CB: Winfield/Morgan
S: Williams/Cordy

Could put Slayton in as starting DT -- just as good as the two you named.
At CB, not sure Morgan would be the starter over Dowels/Hudson.

Overall, my question is whether the new staff can improve on the line-up (as above) they inherited from Shafer? It will be better than 2015 simply based on experience and off-season development for individual players, but will the new staff just ride with the carry-over line-up?

That secondary would likely rank #14 in the league -- so can the new staff bring in help, or make adjustments to bolster the safety slots? Similar for the LBs -- can someone move ahead of Hodge? Would Franklin do better at O-LB? Will be interesting to see in the Spring.

Could put Slayton in as starting DT -- just as good as the two you named.
At CB, not sure Morgan would be the starter over Dowels/Hudson.

Overall, my question is whether the new staff can improve on the line-up (as above) they inherited from Shafer? It will be better than 2015 simply based on experience and off-season development for individual players, but will the new staff just ride with the carry-over line-up?

That secondary would likely rank #14 in the league -- so can the new staff bring in help, or make adjustments to bolster the safety slots? Similar for the LBs -- can someone move ahead of Hodge? Would Franklin do better at O-LB? Will be interesting to see in the Spring.
I think your right on. That line up looks good on paper but can it be even better with positional switches, off season training and preparation? I also think Hudson is one of our better overall corners. I also think Zaire could be better at OLB. Reason I say that is because he is constantly getting blocked by center and guards. He got double teamed alot and struggled with that. He missed alot of tackles later in the season because he was fatigued and beat up from battling interior lineman all season. I think he will excel more on the perimeter taking on slots/TE's and tackles instead. IMO I think the staff will focus more on improving the DE and safety positions. Rather its tweeking the scheme, moving players to different positions or seeking grad/juco transfers.

Reactions: 007
I think your right on. That line up looks good on paper but can it be even better with positional switches, off season training and preparation? I also think Hudson is one of our better overall corners. I also think Zaire could be better at OLB. Reason I say that is because he is constantly getting blocked by center and guards. He got double teamed alot and struggled with that. He missed alot of tackles later in the season because he was fatigued and beat up from battling interior lineman all season. I think he will excel more on the perimeter taking on slots/TE's and tackles instead. IMO I think the staff will focus more on improving the DE and safety positions. Rather its tweeking the scheme, moving players to different positions or seeking grad/juco transfers.

Good points as usual, money. Zaire is a warrior and a great rep for SU, but he really struggles at the Mike, IMO. Once the OL reached him, he rarely was able to get off that block to make plays. He took a physical beating all year, never quit, but looked absolutely gassed the 2nd half of most games. I would like to see him on the outside. I am not a fan of Hodge based on his consistent lack of productivity. Bennet was the best LB on the roster, IMO.

I am looking forward to the new staff's assessment of who will play where. I doubt (hope?) it won't look much like what kcsu is predicting.

I continue to be very concerned about every defensive unit. None of them really stand out and the secondary will still be inexperienced with a new scheme to learn as well. I fear we will give 30+ points again this year. Hope I am wrong. Maybe newbies like Ruff will help more than I think.

Zaire is a true MIKE. Our issues this season at the LB position had a lot to do with scheme and issues with the front 4.

Our D this season relied almost exclusively on one gap pressures and responsibilities out of the DL. Our young DTs showed some nice ability at times, but were often no threat to their gaps. It allowed the OL to easily handle the gap pressure and allowed the linemen to reach the second pretty easily. In fact, it was the worst I have seen in a long, long time. Franklin was fighting off blocks all game and was forced to take poor angles or guess on plays.

I think the DL needs the biggest upgrade out of all of our positions if we are going to compete at a higher level. We need to get a lot bigger up front here at all positions. Watch Clemson and Bama next week -- their fronts are enormous.

Maybe move Zaire to the edge? Ala Spruill.

I don't know, tall order for Ruff.
I think the staff is gonna give Ruff the opportunity. Jan enrollee so he has a full offseason to learn and get acclimated.

Zaire is a true MIKE. Our issues this season at the LB position had a lot to do with scheme and issues with the front 4.

Our D this season relied almost exclusively on one gap pressures and responsibilities out of the DL. Our young DTs showed some nice ability at times, but were often no threat to their gaps. It allowed the OL to easily handle the gap pressure and allowed the linemen to reach the second pretty easily. In fact, it was the worst I have seen in a long, long time. Franklin was fighting off blocks all game and was forced to take poor angles or guess on plays.

I think the DL needs the biggest upgrade out of all of our positions if we are going to compete at a higher level. We need to get a lot bigger up front here at all positions. Watch Clemson and Bama next week -- their fronts are enormous.
CIL you have great points about the DT's. They were steady but didnt consistently get penetration. When that happens, that allows o lineman to climb up to the Mike easier. Zaire has all the leadership abilities of a Mike I still think he would be better at the Sam but someone else would have to be just as good as him there so it probably wont happen.

It's really a shame we're not in on some elite DE recruits whether HS or JuCo. We should be able to entice some 4 star players with a realistic chance to start week 1

I think Slayton could play DE...wouldn't mind seeing him next to Clark and Samuels at the same time...another year bigger and stronger from these 3 and I believe we'll be "ok" on the DLine (health permitted of course) Have to remember how young these kids were/are. Do we know/think/speculate any of these kids will transfer out?

I think Slayton could play DE...wouldn't mind seeing him next to Clark and Samuels at the same time...another year bigger and stronger from these 3 and I believe we'll be "ok" on the DLine (health permitted of course) Have to remember how young these kids were/are. Do we know/think/speculate any of these kids will transfer out?
I also think that we might see Slayton at the DE spot in certain situations.

CIL you have great points about the DT's. They were steady but didnt consistently get penetration. When that happens, that allows o lineman to climb up to the Mike easier. Zaire has all the leadership abilities of a Mike I still think he would be better at the Sam but someone else would have to be just as good as him there so it probably wont happen.

A MIKE is only as good as the nose tackle (1 technique d tackle). Ours did not do a good job of eating up the center and guard

RICuse44 said:
A MIKE is only as good as the nose tackle (1 technique d tackle). Ours did not do a good job of eating up the center and guard

They were young, but talented. I'd expect a jump.

I think the staff is gonna give Ruff the opportunity. Jan enrollee so he has a full offseason to learn and get acclimated.
He even might be easier to program him in to the system that Babers wants to run than say a veteran who might slip in to the old system from time to time next season naturally .

Unless I missed something, god I hope not, We also have Simmons back for another year at DE. I think we need Slayton at the DT rotation so i'm not sure he would be the best one to play much DE. Wonder if Tyler Cross has a chance for some minutes there. Not the biggest DT and from his highlights from high school he looked to have a good first step and and some nice strength. I really wish we could bring in a Juco here. We have a lot of young talent so bringing in several frosh DE's doesn't seem to make much sense especially when none of the possibilities seem to be pushing much over 200 lbs.

Would be difficult but if Ruff impresses at MLB I could see Zaire being moved outside. If not I would not be surprised at all to see Shy taking over for Hodge on the outside.

DT could use a good Juco...and safety could use a good Juco. Seems like we should be able to recruit a young good frosh safety. Pretty scary depth wise at a lot of positions. If injuries hit we could be in a world of hurt at a couple of positions.

Unless I missed something, god I hope not, We also have Simmons back for another year at DE. I think we need Slayton at the DT rotation so i'm not sure he would be the best one to play much DE. Wonder if Tyler Cross has a chance for some minutes there. Not the biggest DT and from his highlights from high school he looked to have a good first step and and some nice strength. I really wish we could bring in a Juco here. We have a lot of young talent so bringing in several frosh DE's doesn't seem to make much sense especially when none of the possibilities seem to be pushing much over 200 lbs.

Would be difficult but if Ruff impresses at MLB I could see Zaire being moved outside. If not I would not be surprised at all to see Shy taking over for Hodge on the outside.

DT could use a good Juco...and safety could use a good Juco. Seems like we should be able to recruit a young good frosh safety. Pretty scary depth wise at a lot of positions. If injuries hit we could be in a world of hurt at a couple of positions.
Not sure if Simmons is applying for a medical redshirt.

DE: Pickard (Ealey 2nd half of season)
DT: Clark
DT: Slayton
DE: Carter (Sheppard 2nd half of season)

OLB: Bennett
MIKE: Franklin
OLB: Cullen

CB: Winfield
CB: Dowels
SS: Cordy
FS: Williams
Nickel: Hudson

P: Hofricher
PK: Murphy
LS: Keller

We have major issues at punter, where I don't think Hofricher will be remotely ready. From what I have seen, he is much more of a placekicker than a punter and could beat out Murphy for the PK job.

Also have major issues with whoever is going to kick off. Hope the staff brings in some people to help in these areas. Dangle a scholarship to the winner of a walk-on death match competition...

In our scheme last year on D I dont think we normally had the Nose tackle on center/ Guard. In all the stuff i watched it was normally one on one. We seldom attached the gaps at all so how would they have helped out the MLB avoid blocks ?

Clark had little trouble driving the center back, but didnt always disengage with his hands.

New Coach, new player evaluations.

I see Hodge out, Franklin stays in the middle and Cullen takes over opposite of Bennet unless Henderson beats him out.

IMHO Ruff gets moved to DEnd.

I think sutomcat is spot on again except the 1 OLB spot and the FS spot are up for grabs. The comp for those jobs will be fierce.