Nick Carparelli | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Nick Carparelli

Football is indeed an athletic sport. An important one, especially revenue wise. It's not in the Athletic Department role. He did not see how the department is run.

It's like saying you got out of college and filled a Lexus with gas at a factory-owned service center...and thinking, 14 years later, you should be running Lexus. You did look at the timeline, right? You are indicating that being a junior member in the pre-Internet era is justifiable evidence here...just reiterating that.

Please please please say "Oh. Ok..."

So being Assistant Director of football operations is the same as gassing my car at quickfill, got it.

So being Assistant Director of football operations is the same as gassing my car at quickfill, got it.

I am enjoying you botching and interpreting all this so I will keep this going.

RE-read the Lexus comparison. And Tim Cook was the legit #2 of the company for years, not the water boy. Not 18th of 19 on a Newton launch.

We need someone proven to run a multi SKU company.

Seriously.

Let's find more names of mid level managers to debate! ;)
Look, is this an open application? Can I just apply? I'd work for less than the going rate, i understand legal implications, business side (especially the books) and I bleed Orange. Negative:while I've played sports my entire life, I've never held an AD position before.

If anyone on this board has a theory regarding Gross being re-made a fixture at Syracuse here, they should probably just leave the board and go to wherever Jekelish went and never return again.
Mad if you're in the running here, can I be your deputy?

So you are saying that both positions below are not part of the Athletic department of either school.

Silly me, I though Football was part of the Athletic Department for both schools. Should have known that they were part of another department...Should have my head examined for thinking such fool things.

Football Administrator
University of Notre Dame

June 2000 – March 2001 (10 months)

Assistant Director of Football Operations
Syracuse University

January 1992 – July 1994 (2 years 7 months)

Even this guy is disappointed by your failed attempt at circular logic:

Shatner.jpeg

You do realize that interns, staff, and assistant coaches are not part of any university's athletic department ADMINISTRATION, aren't you? Actually, it is pretty clear from that last post that you aren't clear on that incredibly obvious fact.

Mad's post above sums things up. SMH...

Last edited:
AZOrange said:
Look, is this an open application? Can I just apply? I'd work for less than the going rate, i understand legal implications, business side (especially the books) and I bleed Orange. Negative:while I've played sports my entire life, I've never held an AD position before.

I'd like to consider myself a prominent alum.

I am endorsing you.

Congrats, you are a candidate!

Wheeeeeee!!!

You have a strange definition of what specific means. And nothing is hyperbole or baseless. He lost his job for the reasons I listed among others. He's not getting it back.
Conclusory statements that are neither backed by evidence, nor reference either a well defined group of individuals or a well defined action aren't specific by any reasonable definition of the word specific. I'm sorry, it just isn't.

Beyond that, your understanding of even basic finance is tragically flawed. Deficit spending is not a bad thing if it's gone for the right reason. DG got a tremendous return on his expenses. Look at the AD's performance this year. Look at the budge surplus his last year.

The ADs from Florida, Alabama and Michigan won't lateral to here.

The #1 at a smaller school - private or otherwise - or a #2 at a Michigan, Stanford, etc. would be stoked for the position.

We are not looking at a dearth of talent situation here.
Those AD's also wouldn't lateral to Texas. Are the Horns not an attractive job? We are upper half of the P5 (maybe upper 3rd) and better than any G5. Unless you have a very strict definition of "dearth of talent," I disagree.

Conclusory statements that are neither backed by evidence, nor reference either a well defined group of individuals or a well defined action aren't specific by any reasonable definition of the word specific. I'm sorry, it just isn't.

Beyond that, your understanding of even basic finance is tragically flawed. Deficit spending is not a bad thing if it's gone for the right reason. DG got a tremendous return on his expenses. Look at the AD's performance this year. Look at the budge surplus his last year.

So I'm supposed to give you the name of the person in the AD? As to the finances, running in the black one year, if we did, doesn't correct running in the red others. An example, if we were $10M in the red for 3 consecutive years, then was $20M in the black for one, is that good? No. I'll stick with my facts because he was fired so......oh, and BTW, I don't see other schools chasing after him.

He was involved in the administration of two major college athletic conferences.

That tells me that he interfaced with multiple college athletic departments on a constant basis in connection with major sports and Olympic sports for both men and women - dealing with scheduling, TV, NCAA infractions, academics, Title IX, various sponsorship issues, bowl alignment issues and the like.

And as an assistant director of football operations he deals with everything - grades, study hall, travel arrangements, sports camps, practice schedules, interaction between players and coaches, etc.

I just find it hard to believe that all of that is on the "periphery" of college athletic administration. To me all of that is the essence of college athletic administration.

Nick Carparelli might not be the right guy, but his experience is in the wheel house of what it takes to be a contemporary college athletic administrator.

THe thing I wonder about is his ability to fund raise. He has great experience on paper, especially from an administrative point of view, which is very important. Working for a business gives him experience with managing budgets.

I've seen some people object to the UA connection, but isn't that kind of an essential part of why you hire him - because he knows the endorsement / equipment / sponsorship industry?

More specific? Under Cantor, he spent outside the budget and colored outside the lines. There was no accountability as the department lost money. When new management came in and wanted to see the books, there was sheer panic in that office.

So, if you spend what you don't have, show little accountability for what goes on in your department, are sloppy with the records and books, and then are a player in an NCAA academic issue...yea, you're going to lose that job. I could say more, but I'll leave it at that.

You know, now we have the facilities! So what if there are some bills still due? That's how the government runs. I just wish we had a decision on modernizing the Dome.

Even this guy is disappointed by your failed attempt at circular logic:

Shatner.jpeg

You do realize that interns, staff, and assistant coaches are not part of any university's athletic department ADMINISTRATION, aren't you? Actually, it is pretty clear from that last post that you aren't clear on that incredibly obvious fact.

Mad's post above sums things up. SMH...

No kidding, but a Director level position, a VP Level position and EVP pretty much translate to nearly any Director, VP level or EVP position. We are talking about those positions and the running of one department translating to several.

It's amazing that the Athletic Department doesn't crumble while the position isn't filled or is in the hands of an "acting AD".

No kidding, but a Director level position, a VP Level position and EVP pretty much translate to nearly any Director, VP level or EVP position. We are talking about those positions and the running of one department translating to several.

It's amazing that the Athletic Department doesn't crumble while the position isn't filled or is in the hands of an "acting AD".

Your first sentence couldn't be further from the truth, especially when going from a for-profit organization to a an educational institution. Even assuming it is true, making a jump from the role he currently has to actually running a large, significant AD when you have no experience in any AD at any level sounds very dubious to me.

Your first sentence couldn't be further from the truth, especially when going from a for-profit organization to a an educational institution. Even assuming it is true, making a jump from the role he currently has to actually running a large, significant AD when you have no experience in any AD at any level sounds very dubious to me.

Couldn't be further from the truth, it's absolutely true. I have seen moves at those levels from entirely different departments at the same company and hires from other companies.

You act like Athletic Departments aren't "for profit" for their universities. Especially at a private institution that doesn't rely on state taxpayer money. Managing a department within a company of $87 mil is not very different from managing an $87 mil department within a university. The only difference is policy and procedure, rules and regs.

upload_2016-5-16_8-49-2.jpeg

CuseOnly said:
Couldn't be further from the truth, it's absolutely true. I have seen moves at those levels from entirely different departments at the same company and hires from other companies. You act like Athletic Departments aren't "for profit" for their universities. Especially at a private institution that doesn't rely on state taxpayer money. Managing a department within a company of $87 mil is not very different from managing an $87 mil department within a university. The only difference is policy and procedure, rules and regs.

What level would you say our AD job is equivalent to? Honest question. EVP?

Couldn't be further from the truth, it's absolutely true. I have seen moves at those levels from entirely different departments at the same company and hires from other companies.

You act like Athletic Departments aren't "for profit" for their universities. Especially at a private institution that doesn't rely on state taxpayer money. Managing a department within a company of $87 mil is not very different from managing an $87 mil department within a university. The only difference is policy and procedure, rules and regs.

Very, very different. I give up and respectfully disagree.

The Chancellor has a master's degree in economics, a JD, was a Professor of Law and Dean of a law school. I'm confident that he will exercise his due diligence.

Eh, he's not Superman. In fact, he's the guy who brought SU a new law school dean who's being sued left and right by subordinates at his previous employer.

1. The sanctions are severely overblown IMHO. We were unlucky with the timing. The NCAA screwed up the Miami investigation, went light on PSU, and knew that UNC was coming down the pike. They were going to nail someone, and we happened to be next in line. The NCAA punishments were historically heavy. Pinning that on DG isn't anymore right than it is pinning it on JB.

2. Grob was undoubtedly a mistake. However, P did need to go, fHCDM was a good hire, and SS was the right hire. The fact that DM took his assistants with him and the fact that Jake didn't invest in facilities was outside of DG's control.

3. The fact that out facilities were from the 1980's when DG took over is not a reflection on him. Those things cost money to modernize, and they needed to be modernized because they were cutting into our competitiveness and thereby impacting our revenues. SU also exists in an economically-depressed city with no large corporate sponsors and played in the BIG EAST which was making hundreds of thousands per school when all the other conferences were making about $10 million and beyond. He can't fix the city, but he did fix our conference standing and our facilities. In doing so, he did dip into the red, sure, but he pulled out of the red and took us WAY into the black. Additionally, he did so while building a tradition of winning in virtually every sport in which we compete. That isn't a spending issue. That's intelligent investing.

I agree with the bolded part of the sanctions paragraph; that was an easy way for the administration to get rid of Gross. In reality, any AD hire is going to be Boeheim's subordinate, not the other way around. It's a tricky situation.

The spending was a serious problem, though. We're not talking about necessary capital improvements. This is about a structural disaster in the department: careless hiring, reckless spending, and an organizational failure that hamstrung SU's ability to most efficiently use its resources from what you note is a competitive disadvantage.

Gross used nepotism to build a bloated bureaucracy that didn't do a very good job of running the department. His vision has paid off, but the organizational havoc he created led to his dismissal.

It's great that we had him, but we need to do even better with the next hire.

OttoMets said:
Eh, he's not Superman. In fact, he's the guy who brought SU a new law school dean who's being sued left and right by subordinates at his previous employer.
Yeah I don't understand that hire at all...

Yeah I don't understand that hire at all...

A little bird told me that chances of this sticking for longer than Coyle's tenure are 50/50. A lot of disappointed faculty/board members.