NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better

He says he’s never even met the chancellor or talked to him about any of this. He apparently acted solely on what he “heard” through the grapevine. I don’t think AW or Kent come away from this smelling like roses. There’s blame to go all around.
Has anyone from the school made any comments regarding AW or Jesse? Has JW, KS or HCAA?

if you havent seen it as a topic title yet, I think its safe to assume they have not.
I didn't think anyone has. One of my favorite sayings is that no reaction is a reaction .

How can you if the administration doesn’t want it going on?
Idk, the same way everyone else does it? Donate to the collective? Start your own collective? Connect with admin to make sure you're not stepping on toes? If its about the community, those rules aren't absurd.

Also, in the story he admits he never actually talked to/met Kent, he just "got the impression the chancellor did not want him involved in supporting SU athletics" How do we know for sure the admin even cared?

Idk, the same way everyone else does it? Donate to the collective? Start your own collective? Connect with admin to make sure you're not stepping on toes? If its about the community, those rules aren't absurd.

Also, in the story he admits he never actually talked to/met Kent, he just "got the impression the chancellor did not want him involved in supporting SU athletics" How do we know for sure the admin even cared?
they didn't

Years ago, pro sports became all about the laundry. I stopped caring about individual players whose only loyalty was (justifiably) to their own bottom lines. College sports used to be different. Players used to be every bit as invested in a school as fans. I'd see a kid on campus and high five him knowing he was every bit as invested in being on that campus as I was.

It was special.

NIL has changed that. With the exception of a very small number of truly elite level schools with deeper than deep pockets, everyone else will always be at risk that after 1, 2, 3, even 4 years a player will just vanish in search of a better offer.

This is not a judgement. Repeat for the back of the room. I am not BLAMING PLAYERS ...These players have every right to do what they need to for their own interests. I am merely stating how it has impacted me as a fan. NIL has absolutely has changed for the worse the passion and loyalty I have for individual Syracuse players.

It's all a business, right?
Free agency every year is stupid

I'm all for freedom to get paid but the schools should have some freedom to offer money in exchange for a longer commitment

Free agency every year is stupid

I'm all for freedom to get paid but the schools should have some freedom to offer money in exchange for a longer commitment
Who's stopping them?

The Jesse news was a real punch in the gut.

It made me truly realize that Cuse basketball - my favorite team my entire life - really might be heading towards total irrelevance and not be able to compete. Several years from now programs won't be able to compete in the top 50 unless it fully embraces the new era and commits a 7-figure war chest per year. Conferences will realign too so the competitive schools are all linked. Cuse really might not have a seat unless the people running the University become determined to be one of those programs.

Lol do you really think this is happening Because of what he “heard through the grapevine“! Lol.

The big players up there didn’t have the stones or intelligence to speak with him directly and let who knows who do the dirty work for them. Nice real smart
Weitsman posted on Insta (of course he did) a few weeks ago a meeting he “demanded” with Ron DeSantis. Said he needed to see how the government was being run, since he owns more property there now (or something) and wants to invest in the community (or something).

We know how that works in politics. Someone gives a Sch!ton of money to a PAC and they get access. It’s not like DeSantis was gonna seek Weitsman out.

I’m sure Weitsman could have met with anyone at SU he wanted to if he… wanted to. Clearly he didn’t.

Weitsman posted on Insta (of course he did) a few weeks ago a meeting he “demanded” with Ron DeSantis. Said he needed to see how the government was being run, since he owns more property there now (or something) and wants to invest in the community (or something).

We know how that works in politics. Someone gives a Sch!ton of money to a PAC and they get access. It’s not like DeSantis was gonna seek Weitsman out.

I’m sure Weitsman could have met with anyone at SU he wanted to if he… wanted to. Clearly he didn’t.
OK don’t know where to begin,,you would be wrong as He’s already met with him and has a pre-existing relationship
FDB2FDA0-D5FC-4FB5-A668-4D05A8C19155.jpeg

And as for that last sentence, that is simply 100% inaccurate and wrong.

Someone who spends that much money to pay people to be his friends for a day even though it's so obvious that they're not is strange. Put that together with his time in the clink and you have to wonder.

We only hear one side, none of us know what the school knows. I'm not risking my reputation on weitsman if I'm in syverud's shoes

Last edited:
I mentioned it before... IMO the best solution is for schools to split their sports into amateur non profit sports and for profit sporting clubs. Going that route will stop the madness.

So in SU's case we would have:

Amateur Sport Teams (no TV revenue, no ticket revenue, etc)
Men's and Women's Cross Country
Men's and Women's Rowing
Men's Soccer
Men's and Women's Track
Field Hockey
Women's Lacrosse
Women's Tennis
Women's Volleyball
Softball
Women's ice Hockey

Sporting Club Teams
Men's and Women's Basketball
Football
Men's Lacrosse
Women's Soccer

Sporting Club Teams are non academic. Kids are there to play sports and are paid. Schools sign kids to 5 year deals. If a kid wants to leave they need to have their new school or their pro team buy out their contract. Athletes are limited to U23, so they need to be younger than 23 before the start of a season. That prevents career players.

Someone who spends that much money to pay people to be his friends for a day even though it's so obvious that they're not is strange. Put that together with his time in the clink and you have to wonder.

We only hear one side, none of us know what the school knows. I'm not rushing my reputation on weitsman if I'm in syverud's shoes
what is hard to figure out for many is how and why someone would be so magnanimous with ones $, most can't relate let figure it out, except to come to nefarious reasons based on their own personal beliefs and, in this case, negative world views.

The guy gives them no $ personally meaning legal tender. He DOES fly them in and wine and dine them, then he makes a $10k donation to their charity of choice making this a win win win for all. So what it all also happens to be good for his personal brand as well one could argue, and I am, good for the community and the university.

NOW all that said your last sentence might be accurate and if so I'd like to know so as to stop going to bat here for the guy. His time was for "kiting checks" of a large amount with no deposits to cover it. Not exactly murder. But yeah, I'd like to know the unversities thinking as to why they'd push out someone who could directly help with the on court/field success in this crappy new world of what college sports has descended to, and likely would've went to bat to keep Jesse here, not be outbid by the scum of "college" sport teams.

Last edited:
what is hard to figure out for many is how and why someone would be so magnanimous with ones $, most can't relate let figure it out, except to come to nefarious reasons based on their own personal beliefs and, in this case, negative world views.

The guy gives them no $ personally meaning legal tender. He DOES fly them in and wine and dine them, then he makes a $10k donation to their charity of choice making this a win win win for all. So what it all also happens to be good for his personal brand as well one could argue, and I am, good for the community and the university.

NOW all that said your last sentence might be accurate and if so I'd like to know so as to stop going to bat here for the guy. His time was for "kiting checks" of a large amount with no deposits to cover it. Not exactly murder. But yeah, I'd like to know the unversities thinking as to why they'd push out someone who could directly help with the on court/field success in this crappy new world of what college sports has descended to.
Why won’t Weitsman just give to one of our collectives? He clearly wants to be a one man show for a reason. If his goal is to support SU athletes he has an easy path.

Why won’t Weitsman just give to one of our collectives? He clearly wants to be a one man show for a reason. If his goal is to support SU athletes he has an easy path.
if you received the treatment he has don't think you would either, why would you? Simple really, bridges burned, permanently.

Exactly. His primary objective seems to be to promote his “brand”

Exactly. His primary objective seems to be to promote his “brand”
ohh God forbid somebody promotes and takes care of themselves first! The difference is too many have it all and only be about themselves, at least this guy while having the audacity promoting himself/his brand was able to figure out a way to entertain others and potentially help others as well (like the last three games hosting make a wish kids, promoting the university etc). OMG just a horrible human to do something like that.

yeah, think I'm done. With all of it. Gonna give it a day to ponder it, but, yeah, think I'm done. This after a lifetime of support, tailgating, seasons tix for the majors, spending way too much time on here pissing off the wife...,etc.

We're gonna continue to lose our best players in football and basketball to greener pa$ture$, and now with all the usual obstacles to overcome, they push away a billionare supporter because he's too flashy for their Ivy league wanna be misperceptions of themselves?! Are they effin kidding me?!

If they're not going to do what it takes to compete at the highest level in the new landscape of whatever college sports is now, and not understand that no matter ones personal feeling on Weitsman, folks like him don't grow on trees.

Really, they pushed him to the side, especially with underlings it sounds like as the big guys wouldn't take the time to meet with him and work something out? Again are you friggin kidding me?! Smart businessmen there.

Well if so this sends a message about syracuse sports that they won't do what it takes to compete and are so dumb and blind not to see that even though none of us, or at least most of us, don't like it, don't like it at all this is what college sports is all about now ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).

Hate it, sucks, but the very real big $ I spend on high end seats, club 44, etc. just isn't worth it, at least I don't think so. Gotta think this over, but, yeah, think after almost 50 years personally, many more as a family I'm done. Think my alma mater (Hamilton) just got a bunch more $ from me as well as game attendance.

All this time I never knew you were a Club 44 guy.

Tell you what, though - get JeremyCuse on board for a Hamilton rugby game tailgate next fall and the first case of shitty beer's on me.

ohh God forbid somebody promotes and takes care of themselves first! The difference is too many have it all and only be about themselves, at least this guy while having the audacity promoting himself/his brand was able to figure out a way to entertain others and potentially help others as well (like the last three games hosting make a wish kids, promoting the university etc). OMG just a horrible human to do something like that.
I am guessing JMA Wireless named the Dome out of the goodness of their hearts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom