NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better

Exactly. His primary objective seems to be to promote his “brand”
It’s actually the primary objective of NIL. It’s all of the collectives that are basically a loophole to pay players. AW wants to do straightforward NIL deals to that promote him, which is his return on investment. Yet so many on here expect him to just funnel millions of dollars into a blind collective so that money can get funneled to athletes. I’m amazed this whole thing has gotten so distorted.

ohh God forbid somebody promotes and takes care of themselves first! The difference is too many have it all and only be about themselves, at least this guy while having the audacity promoting himself/his brand was able to figure out a way to entertain others and potentially help others as well (like the last three games hosting make a wish kids, promoting the university etc). OMG just a horrible human to do something like that.
He might be a great guy (never mind the Bilzerian, Shrkeli, etc. stuff). I don’t know him personally, but to me, the self-promotion is kind of cringey, especially for a guy his age.

Hopefully, for Binghamton fans and graduates, his NIL deals and “friends” will have a more tangible positive effect on their sports teams than they did for the SU teams.

Treatment? The guy did whatever he wanted for *years*. Sorry enough SU people didn’t genuflect when he entered the Dome.
guess you don't read well. Won't return his communications for a meeting of the minds, not allowed to bid for the dome naming rights, that's called burning bridges.

ohh God forbid somebody promotes and takes care of themselves first! The difference is too many have it all and only be about themselves, at least this guy while having the audacity promoting himself/his brand was able to figure out a way to entertain others and potentially help others as well (like the last three games hosting make a wish kids, promoting the university etc). OMG just a horrible human to do something like that.
This really isn’t too difficult. SU has decided they want their NIL process to be implemented a certain way. It seems to be the way that most schools are operating— people donate to one of a few large collectives.

Weitsman doesn’t want to play ball. He wants to do it on his own. That’s his choice, but it doesn’t mean there may not be consequences.

All the other stuff is a distraction. He’s welcome to donate in the way that SU prefers everyone to do. He refuses. That’s that.

guess you don't read well. Won't return his communications for a meeting of the minds, not allowed to bid for the dome naming rights, that's called burning bridges.
I don’t subscribe to Syracuse.com. Want to explain further what you’re raging about?

He might be a great guy (never mind the Bilzerian, Shrkeli, etc. stuff). I don’t know him personally, but to me, the self-promotion is kind of cringey, especially for a guy his age.

Hopefully, for Binghamton fans and graduates, his NIL deals and “friends” will have a more tangible positive effect on their sports teams than they did for the SU teams.
Yeah it'll get so much better now that a multimillionaire/billionaire is no longer around to help, kind of like with Jesse moving on for greener pa$ture$. As for those criminals, he has a foundation to assist former cons (like himself) who are genuinely interested in repentance and making a difference in the opposite direction. Some people can change is the thought, who knows. Regardless this all sucks

Last edited:
Yeah it'll get better now that a multimillionaire/billionaire is no longer around to help, kind of like with Jesse moving on for greener pa$ture$. As for those criminals, he has a foundation to assist former cons (like himself) who are genuinely interested in repentance and making a difference in the opposite direction. Some people can change is the thought, who knows. Regardless this all sucks
Yes, things were going so well with Weitsman having carte blanche.

Bilzerian is pure trash. Honestly don’t know of anyone who disagrees with that.

What's in it for the collectives & Weitsman's? How long can you keep ponying up without a return?
Weitsman's free to do whatever he wants with his money whenever he wants as long as he isn't breaking any laws. The ROI will vary from person to person. One person may just want an ego stroke while someone else is more coldly concerned with wins and losses or tournament results.

Someone who spends that much money to pay people to be his friends for a day even though it's so obvious that they're not is strange. Put that together with his time in the clink and you have to wonder.

We only hear one side, none of us know what the school knows. I'm not rushing my reputation on weitsman if I'm in syverud's shoes
The guy made his bones in the scrap metal and NYC art sales scene. If anyone thinks he flourished in those industries without doing deals with a few shady characters and occasionally treading into the legally gray area… well I got a bridge to sell.

And for the 1,000th time, none of that bothers me at all. Make your billions, spend it however you like, pay whoever you want to hang out, hire a giant social media team to document it all. Its good.

But it doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences for one’s decisions. He clearly makes SU folks nervous, and they’d prefer he follow their guidelines for NIL. He refuses. Life goes on.

Weitsman's free to do whatever he wants with his money whenever he wants as long as he isn't breaking any laws. The ROI will vary from person to person. One person may just want an ego stroke while someone else is more coldly concerned with wins and losses or tournament results.
That makes sense. At some point it's gotta get old I would imagine, regardless of how large your bank account or ego is. Smart move by the schools to put the load on someone else.

Free agency every year is stupid

I'm all for freedom to get paid but the schools should have some freedom to offer money in exchange for a longer commitment
100 percent. You can’t have free agency every year.

In fairness, the NCAA is merely the sum of its membership. It's the schools themselves that have punted, the NCAA is a useful scapegoat.
Exactly.

The guy made his bones in the scrap metal and NYC art sales scene. If anyone thinks he flourished in those industries without doing deals with a few shady characters and occasionally treading into the legally gray area… well I got a bridge to sell.

And for the 1,000th time, none of that bothers me at all. Make your billions, spend it however you like, pay whoever you want to hang out, hire a giant social media team to document it all. Its good.

But it doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences for one’s decisions. He clearly makes SU folks nervous, and they’d prefer he follow their guidelines for NIL. He refuses. Life goes on.
What mechanism does SU have to prevent AW from continuing to do his own NIL deals?

Wonder how many of you would be saying this if we handed out bags of money to our players. Just saying…

College sports is at such a crossroad. To compete in revenue sports, programs will need millions in booster NIL funds each year. There's lots of schools that won't be able to do that, or won't want to do that, and they will grow increasingly frustrated at not being competitive, getting raided when they develop players, dealing with the ethics, etc. A breakup appears inevitable. Conference realignment will play a major role. Maybe it will happen by the top 50-75 or so programs licensing out their sports as semi-pro teams separate from the academic institutions. And eventually the NCAA - a member organization - will no longer be the NCAA. It remains to be decided which side of the spectrum Cuse falls on. The next decade will be a rollercoaster.

Exactly.
I don't think you can have that big an organization and just shrug that off well whatever they do is what the schools want them to do

Who's stopping them?

College athletes can't have NIL deals that are contingent upon them being part of a specific team. The NCAA handed down that guideline to try to separate recruiting and endorsements.

So the deals are all year by year

College athletes can't have NIL deals that are contingent upon them being part of a specific team. The NCAA handed down that guideline to try to separate recruiting and endorsements.

So the deals are all year by year
Ah that’s dumb.

Everybody happy now?
I mean for years all I heard was how terrible it was that athletes couldn’t transfer but coaches could, that athletes couldn’t make money off their name and what a travesty this all was.
Hope all the bleeding hearts are just so happy for these poor abused athletes now that all this has changed.I’ll still follow my Orangemen , but anyone that thinks this is all for the better is a whack job.

Everybody happy now?
I mean for years all I heard was how terrible it was that athletes couldn’t transfer but coaches could, that athletes couldn’t make money off their name and what a travesty this all was.
Hope all the bleeding hearts are just so happy for these poor abused athletes now that all this has changed.I’ll still follow my Orangemen , but anyone that thinks this is all for the better is a whack job.

Hard for me to disagree. It's ruining it for me as a fan. The more people that feel that way, the less interest (and money) there will be. I expect it to even out some, but continuing down this road doesn't seem practical. College football and college basketball have been my 2 favorite sports for quite some time now, but my interest (moreso with basketball) has noticeably decreased due to all the player movement/roster turnover & NIL stuff.

It’s fine to take care of your brand nothing wrong with that at all, just don’t pretend you’re doing it “all for the community”

guy never said that or inferred that, ever. That's your erroneous perception.
I mean, it is literally in the article posted today... "Weitsman has been insistent in every conversation i've [meaning axe] had with him, including on Tuesday," that his actions every step of the way were fueled by helping SU student athletes and giving Orange fans an experience"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom