NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better

I didn’t ask for a cap on NIL. I asked for accountability - who is paying? How much? What services in return?

Seems simple to me. You want to retain eligibility to receive a college scholarship? This information has to be reported.
This already exists

• Student-athletes should report NIL activities consistent with state law or school and conference requirements to their school.

Not sure where you get the last paragraph. Businesses and collectives voluntarily pay the players. Joe fan does have to shell out a dime.
To reiterate:

One of the big complaints had previously been that the schools made big $$$ on the backs of the players, so the players should get a cut of that from the school. Schools cannot use those big bucks to pay the players so they are keeping all their revenue for themselves while the burden falls to business and collectives. Not sure how I could be more clear on that.

Joe fan doesn't HAVE to shell out a dime, but he is being asked to. I certainly have been.

This already exists

• Student-athletes should report NIL activities consistent with state law or school and conference requirements to their school.
So you would be in favor if this was NCAA wide stipulation? That all participating schools would have the same reporting requirements, yes?

So you would be in favor if this was NCAA wide stipulation? That all participating schools would have the same reporting requirements, yes?
It depends on state law. As far as I know the ncaa can’t override state laws.

SU out spends because they are in entirely different worlds when it comes to
their sports programs. When Albany or Colgate become part of the ACC we can
discuss who out spends who. Until then it's apples and oranges.
Yeah and we'll never know what those schools would do if they could draw 30k to a basketball game or get 30 mil per year just for existing in the ACC for TV money.

I'm not thrilled with the AD at all just look at the disgusting decision to move the Pitt game to Yankee Stadium after we watched players narrowly avoid bad ACL injuries on that field a couple months back. Give me the third party wanting to operate independently to land talent vs the AD collective at this point. But we've added Starling and Westry team will be young and with plenty of potential. I also kind of like that Red hasn't been coddled with a transition like every comparable coach who followed a legend has JB even tried to hang on after the last game and couldn't give up the keys. Do more with less and improve the players we have noone will be brand new to NCAA basketball.

I just can't understand our fans pining for the good old days of 2012 when we voluntarily suspended our star 1st round pick center to keep the NCAA happy because he was an ESL student that needed help on his papers or Howard for smoking weed and gifted Scott Drew a first round win he never gets if Buddy isn't on the court for 40 mins not hitting a FG.

To reiterate:

One of the big complaints had previously been that the schools made big $$$ on the backs of the players, so the players should get a cut of that from the school. Schools cannot use those big bucks to pay the players so they are keeping all their revenue for themselves while the burden falls to business and collectives. Not sure how I could be more clear on that.

Joe fan doesn't HAVE to shell out a dime, but he is being asked to. I certainly have been.
Exactly, Dick. For years we were told players should get a share of the big money in CFB. But the new system just requires injecting more money on top of the old money.

Exactly, Dick. For years we were told players should get a share of the big money in CFB. But the new system just requires injecting more money on top of the old money.
Wait the fans are getting screwed? No way, that never happens.

That has nothing do do with what I said.

It seems totally obvious that the school or at least the AD is acting to communicate from the the coaches to the donors which players get how much $$$. The point remains that the school itself doesn’t have to part with their own money to pay the players.
Let the schools pay the players. Complete joke that more of the financial burden should be passed on to donors.

It’s like the Yankees asking fans to donate.

Let the schools pay the players. Complete joke that more of the financial burden should be passed on to donors.

It’s like the Yankees asking fans to donate.
What should the schools pay the players? How much? Determined how? And that automatically makes scholarships taxable benefits. Or do you want to eliminate the scholarship requirements?

NIL made me realize bandwagon fans of college teams have actually been ahead of the curve for years. NIL is like a dream come true for them.

In the future if SU is ever left behind in college athletics I now know what I must do.

NIL made me realize bandwagon fans of college teams have actually been ahead of the curve for years. NIL is like a dream come true for them.
The SEC has always had a high "Crooked Good Ol' Boy Booster" quotient. They already have their infrastructure in place and can plug it right into NIL.

NCAA athletics is about amateur competition and should be about athletes going to school, playing a sport they love in order to get a free education.

Create professional minor league systems that can be a path to the highest professional ranks for those that don't care to receive the education or that think they should be receiving something more than (i) a no cost education, (ii) free room and board, (iii) great paid travel opportunities and (iv) people fawning over their athletic achievements.

This is something that more or less works right in the sport of Baseball. And while we’re at it let’s get a college baseball team on the Hill!! If LeMoyne can do it at a high level in Syracuse weather, then SU should be able to.

Last edited:
What should the schools pay the players? How much? Determined how? And that automatically makes scholarships taxable benefits. Or do you want to eliminate the scholarship requirements?
Yes

Obviously rules need to be put in place but it’s farcical that people can’t accept that these are not ADs but corporations.

Let scholarships be the base. Salary cap. AD fits the bill.

For the college have nots, which we seem to be surprisingly, every off season is chaos.
For this reason, I always thought it would have been ideal for CFB and CBB to D1 into two divisions where the best conferences (for FB that means the Power 5 and a few others, for BB, the Power 5 and other select conferences) form a premier division. The lower division can still have athletic scholarships but they don't have to try to compete with the power schools.

ok kids now transfer at will .god forbid we hold back these talents. BUT.

transfer in conference...they should sit a year still. sorry but that's only fair.
don't like it ? well life sucks for you.

transfer in conference...they should sit a year still. sorry but that's only fair.

Yeah I don't get why that rule went from 2 years to 0.

I'd let kids transfer wherever they want. Every other major sports leagues doesn't make athletes sit out, the NCAA can adjust.

I'd let kids transfer wherever they want. Every other major sports leagues doesn't make athletes sit out, the NCAA can adjust.
so you're saying the NCAA is now professional. sorry not interested.
you tell me the old system was broke. well the new system benefits about 2% of the collegiate athletic base. and totally screws any coach trying to build a roster. pay high or go home is not an equation that will lead to better basketball throughout the nation.in fact all sports will suffer.

Last edited:
so you're saying the NCAA is now professional. sorry not interested.
you tell me the old system was broke. well the new system benefits about 2% of the collegiate athletic base. and totally screws any coach trying to build a roster. pay high or go home is not an equation that will lead to better basketball throughout the nation.in fact all sports will suffer.

A professional league is probably way better than what we have now. Kids will have contracts so they can't leave at will. They also will be less likely to bounce for being a 2nd round NBA draft pick. Even if they are drafted, they can still play for you like Euro kids do.

Less player movement and more kids not going straight to the NBA will bring about a higher quality product. Let's stop the academic farce and have an 18-22 year old league where no schooling is required. Otherwise IMO the sport will die.

And the NCAA has strict roster limits, including limits on the number of scholarships you can grant (so it’s not like you can have similar quality backups waiting in the wings if guys up and leave). The idea is there are consequences both ways……….. from awarding the scholarship and from accepting it.

God forbid anyone be asked to live up to a commitment that they make.

Let's stop the academic farce and have an 18-22 year old league where no schooling is required.
I’m all for it. Have been for years. As long as it’s not operated by universities.

And the NCAA has strict roster limits, including limits on the number of scholarships you can grant (so it’s not like you can have similar quality backups waiting in the wings if guys up and leave). The idea is there are consequences both ways……….. from awarding the scholarship and from accepting it.

God forbid anyone be asked to live up to a commitment that they make.
They play for free (scholarship isn’t the same as pay)and coaches can recruit over them - which is often one of the reasons they transfer. Athletes have a limited amount of time to showcase their skills and make a name for themselves. I have no problem with keeping them from jumping to another school mid-season, but I don’t feel they should have to lose a year of peak time to give coaches more leverage.

I’m all for it. Have been for years. As long as it’s not operated by universities.

Why not have it operated by the universities? You cannot go back to the old times. NIL is here to stay. Even if the NBA sponsored an 18-22 year old league, kids would still pick the college game for exposure.

The only thing the colleges could do is make BBall a non revenue sport. So no $ from tickets and no TV. That will never happen. Really at this point the choices are A. keep things as is, keep the academic farce, slowly have BBall become a niche sport or B. sponsor a non academic BBall league where the sport actually improves. I don't see any other options. I prefer choice B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom