NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NIL has changed me as a college sports fan...and it ain't for the better

It was not to this level and you know that. The unlimited free agency just adds to it. Not a comment on the players. Go ahead and get yours. But I think it’s eventually going to kill the sport as more and more people lose interest. Money dries up real quick when there are no eyeballs.

What wasn’t to this level? Paying players? I’m not sure about that.

I don’t really care about “unlimited free agency” for players. We had that for old white guts in the coaching ranks for years and no one batted an eye. The minute players get even a modicum of empowerment you have people like the OP bemoaning some version of college sports that simply never existed. The good news for them though is that things will probably moderate over time and maybe some guardrails will go up.

It was not to this level and you know that. The unlimited free agency just adds to it. Not a comment on the players. Go ahead and get yours. But I think it’s eventually going to kill the sport as more and more people lose interest. Money dries up real quick when there are no eyeballs.
I think the unlimited transfers is a larger problem than paying kids. Maybe there needs to be contracts I’m not sure, but the freedom to jump whenever is a larger problem. Eliminate the money and that’s still happening.

I think the unlimited transfers is a larger problem than paying kids. Maybe there needs to be contracts I’m not sure, but the freedom to jump whenever is a larger problem. Eliminate the money and that’s still happening.

Yeah it’s the two things together that’s really affecting my interest. As others have said, the roster instability makes it unbelievably difficult to get invested. It used to be that you had a good idea on who the transfer candidates on your roster would be. Now, starters playing every snap or every minute are leaving to go play for another school because they got offered a bigger bag. They have to figure out a fair way to regulate this stuff, because I really don’t think it’s sustainable as currently constructed.

Someone said we're in the middle of a gold rush, and I think that may be true.

Booster money might dry up when they spend millions of dollars just to lose in the first or second round of the tournament. It's really hard to win a NC, and only one team can win each year. Also the numbers are out of control and boosters likely aren't getting a good ROI. And I think fan interest will deteriorate, which will affect ratings and make the games less featured, and make the players less popular and worth less. Although a slump probably would just accelerate the end of the NCAA as we know it as certain programs, like SEC teams, will break away and other programs will get tired of trying to compete with them.

So before it was ok because it was behind closed doors and one didn’t know about. Now it’s all out in the open. Oh no!
You believe this is “out in the open?”

Can't they say you need a semester at your current school to be eligible to play? So if a kid leaves in March and enrolls in August, they won't be eligible until January. That could slow things down a little.

This is just dumping money into a system that has no structure or accountability. It’s a formula for disaster.

Like others said, I don’t care anymore. I attended nearly every game for about 30 years starting in 1987. Would call myself a diehard at the time. Would live and die by wins/losses. They would actually affect my day. Silly thinking back on it.
Fast forward to today and I don’t even know the schedule. And if it’s hard to find what channel the game is on, I don’t even bother. The brand of basketball became unwatchable for me personally. I hope red can suck me back in.

Like others said, I don’t care anymore. I attended nearly every game for about 30 years starting in 1987. Would call myself a diehard at the time. Would live and die by wins/losses. They would actually affect my day. Silly thinking back on it.
Fast forward to today and I don’t even know the schedule. And if it’s hard to find what channel the game is on, I don’t even bother. The brand of basketball became unwatchable for me personally. I hope red can suck me back in.
I’m young, 27. And this off season in particular has just made me numb as ever to all of Syracuse athletics. With guys from
Football going to LSU/OSU. Now the bball debacle …. Idk just not sure we have the right leadership to capitalize and thrive. Simply said im just numb to it all. Seems like we are completely missing the ball.

Reds job is a lot harder today then I thought it was going to be just weeks ago. Something’s gotta give with NCAA providing some sort of leveling out or we are going to be doomed. Pretty bummed out that I wasn’t able to enjoy the golden years of the 90s where both football and bball were legit.

I don’t want to be negative or whine and complain, but I just don’t see us thriving if this pace of NIL continues for the next decade. I fear we are going to be on the wrong side of the inevitable great divide in college sports

I’m young, 27. And this off season in particular has just made me numb as ever to all of Syracuse athletics. With guys from
Football going to LSU/OSU. Now the bball debacle …. Idk just not sure we have the right leadership to capitalize and thrive. Simply said im just numb to it all. Seems like we are completely missing the ball.

Reds job is a lot harder today then I thought it was going to be just weeks ago. Something’s gotta give with NCAA providing some sort of leveling out or we are going to be doomed. Pretty bummed out that I wasn’t able to enjoy the golden years of the 90s where both football and bball were legit.

I don’t want to be negative or whine and complain, but I just don’t see us thriving if this pace of NIL continues for the next decade. I fear we are going to be on the wrong side of the inevitable great divide in college sports
Losing the FB players to 'factory schools' and losing Jesse to a 'peer' makes me depressed. And I don't watch sports to get depressed. I watch politics for that.

Can't they say you need a semester at your current school to be eligible to play? So if a kid leaves in March and enrolls in August, they won't be eligible until January. That could slow things down a little.
Or just go back to you must sit out a year.

Or just go back to you must sit out a year.

Honestly, I don’t get why we can’t have a system that requires transfers to sit out a year unless their coach leaves. If your coach can leave without sitting a year, then so can you. I was also good with the grad transfer rule. You get your degree and you can go where you want.

Losing the FB players to 'factory schools' and losing Jesse to a 'peer' makes me depressed. And I don't watch sports to get depressed. I watch politics for that.
Touché my friend! Can’t agree more. I know before NIL we would lose players here and there but let’s be real… this is going to happen yearly from here on out.

Touché my friend! Can’t agree more. I know before NIL we would lose players here and there but let’s be real… this is going to happen yearly from here on out.
It’s going to happen until the TV people refuse to pay for something nobody is watching.

Yeah it’s the two things together that’s really affecting my interest. As others have said, the roster instability makes it unbelievably difficult to get invested. It used to be that you had a good idea on who the transfer candidates on your roster would be. Now, starters playing every snap or every minute are leaving to go play for another school because they got offered a bigger bag. They have to figure out a fair way to regulate this stuff, because I really don’t think it’s sustainable as currently constructed.
Agreed 100% it’s really not becoming fun anymore. There’s bigger things going on in the world rn than to worry about gladiators.

Question. Regarding NIL, are there requirements for universities to reveal all monies paid to all athletes directly from the University, and also directly from outside sources to their student athletes?

Lastly, are there different requirements for different types of universities? IE public or private.

I will say what I always say when I read things like this: What specific services are these kids providing to earn this money. I want collectives to accurately document what is being required.
Um winning games and providing entertainment to fans while furthering the brand of SU Athletics. I don't get what should be required - it's a business transaction we are paying you to be a good player. Go be that.

Question. Regarding NIL, are there requirements for universities to reveal all monies paid to all athletes directly from the University, and also directly from outside sources to their student athletes?

Lastly, are there different requirements for different types of universities? IE public or private.
Nothing is coming directly from the University. The money comes from the NIL collectives or individual businesses or people. Some states (I believe Texas as an example) require the deals to be public, but most do not.

Um winning games and providing entertainment to fans while furthering the brand of SU Athletics. I don't get what should be required - it's a business transaction we are paying you to be a good player. Go be that.
The money is Name, Image and Likeness. It’s not pay to play. It’s “I give you money because I recognize you as a ‘famous’ person, and that helps me somehow.” It’s all off the field value - at least that’s the only legal application. So what are they being paid to do. Forcing people to answer this question creates at least a modicum of accountability. And that’s the only way to control the system.

This entire model is unsustainable IMO. Its just absolutely ripe for abuse, and the sport will be completely bisected by those schools that do and that schools that dont.
Ehhhh. Some of the numbers thrown around there are just numbers. Fat chance a lot of players will see the final number they are looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom