No Bowl Game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

No Bowl Game

If our star player skips a NON PLAYOFF bowl game, how do you feel?

• Happy for him

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Angry with him

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • It sucks, but I understand

Votes: 63 58.3%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The players are getting smart and starting to follow the money. Once they get organized the whole college sports set up is going to change. You can't have every other institution involved chase and protect their financial interests and expect the modern player not to do the same. The bowl opt out is going to happen more and more.

Pretty much right.
Good then I'll stop caring when a coach decides after their frosh year to cut their scholly and give it to someone better. Up until now i found it appaling, but ya know what? I dont really give a f about the kids if this is their attitude.

The players are getting smart and starting to follow the money. Once they get organized the whole college sports set up is going to change. You can't have every other institution involved chase and protect their financial interests and expect the modern player not to do the same. The bowl opt out is going to happen more and more.
What to stop them for opting out of game 12, 11, 10? Or like I said as soon as they are eliminated from the playoffs after 2 losses. Team goes 0-2, best kids say f'it i'm going pro anyway. Houston? We have a problem.

Good then I'll stop caring when a coach decides after their frosh year to cut their scholly and give it to someone better. Up until now i found it appaling, but ya know what? I dont really give a f about the kids if this is their attitude.
Your attitude is why they have theirs. Two way street.

Speaking in generalities, you don't get to yell at them, tell them they suck, etc, and expect them to love you like a puppy.

Leaving a year early is one thing. Leaving before the season is over is another thing. All I ask is that the player completes the entire season. If you're ok with a player leaving 12 games into a 13 game season, are you also ok with him leaving 7 games into it?

I'm okay with them leaving whenever they want, just as you and I can leave our job whenever we want.

In fact, kids leave school early all the time. Didn't USC have their backup QB leave mid-season with intentions on transferring?

What to stop them for opting out of game 12, 11, 10? Or like I said as soon as they are eliminated from the playoffs after 2 losses. Team goes 0-2, best kids say f'it i'm going pro anyway. Houston? We have a problem.
I agree, we the fans and the university athletic departments have a problem...one that is coming at them like a freight train. I hope a solution is ready.

Another example of the play-offs fundamentally changing college football.

And I for one don't really like it.

It forces the fan - and the players - to focus on a few teams to the exclusion of many others and to the exclusion of some great bowl games.

There was a time when SI devoted its College Football Issue to every team in Division I college football. Every conference and every independent was reviewed.

Now all we get to read about are the top 25 teams.

And frankly it gets boring reading about Ohio State and Alabama and the like.

In the short term the play offs are fun. But in the long term it will reduce fan interest in my opinion.
The playoffs don't change the fact that guys could have sat out of meaningless bowl games in the past, I don't think they thought of it. in the past, most bowl games didn't have national title implications.

I would not be surprised to see the star players in the near future sitting out an entire year after two seasons of college football. Fournette & McCaffrey could have sat out this season, stayed healthy, saved the wear and tear on the body and trained for the Combine.

I think this just speaks to the craziness that is the pure money grab by the NCAA - there are SOOOO many bowls. As an SU fan - yes I want them to get to 6 wins to go to one.

However, I'd like the see the NCAA just move to an 8 team playoff and then have maybe 10 more bowls? Teams who make the bowls can have UNLIMITED practices until their bowl game, schools with 5 wins can have 10 extra practices, 4 wins can have 8 extra, 3 wins can have 6, 0-2 wins can have 3.

That's essentially what we all wanted - 6 wins to get to a bowl but to GUARANTEE 15 extra practices. I like my model better with obvious bias :rolleyes:;)

I'm okay with them leaving whenever they want, just as you and I can leave our job whenever we want.

In fact, kids leave school early all the time. Didn't USC have their backup QB leave mid-season with intentions on transferring?

Can you come into work at 9am and leave at 2pm if you feel like it? Or are you expected to work the entire day, just as your colleagues are?

A kid transferring out is not the same as a kid leaving early because he is working on his personal draft stock. And it wouldn't make sense for a kid who has been granted his release to transfer to continue to play until the end of the season.

I would not be surprised to see the star players in the near future sitting out an entire year after two seasons of college football. Fournette & McCaffrey could have sat out this season, stayed healthy, saved the wear and tear on the body and trained for the Combine.

That might happen. If a can't-miss, blue-chip kid comes into college and has an monster freshman season, he can just sit out his sophomore year to get ready for the draft.

And it's going to expand from blue chip stud types to anyone who overvalues themselves. Not gonna be good.

Imagine a Lamar Jackson doing it. And he has to play college football next year no matter what.

That will be one nuclear moment.

Then wait until the fans of, say, LSU, see something like this and determine that they don't feel the game is important enough to travel to. 35,000 purple and gold becomes 15,000 at the game.

Boom.

That might happen. If a can't-miss, blue-chip kid comes into college and has an monster freshman season, he can just sit out his sophomore year to get ready for the draft.

Already kind of happened with Mike Williams of USC.

At least we'll get a look at LSU's running back for next year haha. Kid has to be so pumped.

What if we were 6-6, 7-5 and in the pinstripe or another comparable bowl and AET didn't want to chance it? Is that what you are asking? And if this has been already suggested I apologize, I have not reviewed the entire thread.

What if we were 6-6, 7-5 and in the pinstripe or another comparable bowl and AET didn't want to chance it? Is that what you are asking? And if this has been already suggested I apologize, I have not reviewed the entire thread.

With all due respect to AET...he's not close to the level of national recognition of the two players involved nor will he get picked in the first round.

Any big bowl games/all star bowl game will help AET.
Neither of the RBs here need the help. They will be 1st rounders.

With all due respect to AET...he's not close to the level of national recognition of the two players involved nor will he get picked in the first round.

Oh, I agree, LF, and CC have plenty on tape for scouts. A bowl game could be a showcase for AET after a breakout year. With good workouts I truly believe AET could sniff the second round with the right team's timing of needs.

I don't like it, its bad for college football and the bowl games, If I invested a lot of money into a bowl game, I would not be happy that fournette or a mccaffery wasn't playing.

A Baylor RB has joined the party.

This sounds like BS from Mr. Linwood

Stewart MandelVerified account‏@slmandel
Shock Linwood got benched late in the season for "attitude issues" and is not exactly a Fournette/McCaffrey-level prospect.

I noticed that Mandel and others are jumping on the "he's not that same level of prospect".

I think that misses the point.

It can start a trend where each kid starts doing their own risk/reward of where am I projected, and can the bowl game elevate that, or will an injury derail it.

I noticed that Mandel and others are jumping on the "he's not that same level of prospect".

It can start a trend where each kid starts doing their own risk/reward of where am I projected, and can the bowl game elevate that, or will an injury derail it.

Good point...Absolutely agree that will happen.

Can you come into work at 9am and leave at 2pm if you feel like it? Or are you expected to work the entire day, just as your colleagues are?

A kid transferring out is not the same as a kid leaving early because he is working on his personal draft stock. And it wouldn't make sense for a kid who has been granted his release to transfer to continue to play until the end of the season.

I don't see a difference.

Ya know, surprised this hasn't been an issue sooner. These second tier bowl games are glorified exhibition games, a vaca for the coaches and players. Yes, am extra month of practices for player development but in the end for the big boys that had bigger aspirations, its just a vaca.

I think this just speaks to the craziness that is the pure money grab by the NCAA - there are SOOOO many bowls. As an SU fan - yes I want them to get to 6 wins to go to one.

However, I'd like the see the NCAA just move to an 8 team playoff and then have maybe 10 more bowls? Teams who make the bowls can have UNLIMITED practices until their bowl game, schools with 5 wins can have 10 extra practices, 4 wins can have 8 extra, 3 wins can have 6, 0-2 wins can have 3.

That's essentially what we all wanted - 6 wins to get to a bowl but to GUARANTEE 15 extra practices. I like my model better with obvious bias :rolleyes:;)

This is a pet peeve of mine. It's not 15 days, it's 30 hours.