No Jalen Carey threads? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No Jalen Carey threads?

He did ok. No more three pointers for him though. Hasn't made one since december

Idk. It's unlikely he forgot how to shoot between last year and this year. It's not a skill that players lose.

He shouldn't run around looking to take 3s or force up contested ones, but I'm okay with him shooting the open ones.

He did great for someone that has been on the bench forever.

We need his skillset next year to play next to Buddy and the other shooters. He just needs to work on being more careful with the ball.

If he transfers, we are in trouble.

I wasnt thrilled with how he answered the question about if he was transferring.

What was it? How did he answer it?

Found the comments in today's DO. He just said he's focusing on next game and not next season.

I will be a bit surprised if he transfers. Position is his next year. A lot of other guys have threatened the same and stuck it out. Plus it makes him another year older as an NBA prospect.

Jalen Carey reflects on diminished playing time after expanded role in SU’s ACC Tournament win

"Carey said he’s not worried about how much he’ll play in the final weeks of Syracuse’s season. He said he’s not caught up in his lessened role or why he’s not on the floor. The team is a projected to make the NCAA Tournament, and he’s happy to be here.

Asked about whether he has considered transferring because of his playing time, he said: “I’m just focused on tomorrow’s game. Hopefully I get in. If my number is called, hopefully I’m ready.”

That's very different than how you spun it. He didn't say anything about next year. He answered it just how you'd want someone in his position to answer it.

He said it himself the tempo kicks up a couple notches when he is in, I think he will be fine once he gets the non con session under his belt next year, we need to run and I will be glad to see a couple mistakes vs walk it up half court that we resort to under Frank. The key to next year is in his hands, he can break down a defender and will have ample shooters to kick it to like he did last night with Eli. Personally I would rather have a high risk player like Scoop used to be, the offense needs it, half court Defences in this league are too good.

He said it himself the tempo kicks up a couple notches when he is in, I think he will be fine once he gets the non con session under his belt next year, we need to run and I will be glad to see a couple mistakes vs walk it up half court that we resort to under Frank. The key to next year is in his hands, he can break down a defender and will have ample shooters to kick it to like he did last night with Eli. Personally I would rather have a high risk player like Scoop used to be, the offense needs it, half court Defences in this league are too good.

Watching Carey next year will be like driving a sports car after years of driving an oldsmobile station wagon. The sheer speed will feel uncomfortable at first, but once you learn how to drive with it, it's going to feel incredible.

He definitely brings a change of pace and I agree, his last four mins or so were much better than his first few mins. the fact that he was up the court and then finished around the rim in an unsettled situation makes him a significantly different player than Frank, who hasn't really done that in four years (not a shot at Frank, just pointing out that they play very differently).

yeah. pushing tempo a bit and not allowing pitt to set up their defense was part of the reason we took off. frank has never pushed the ball in his entire career.

All the shooters we have should be praying he gets the keys, steps up and takes over the PG next year. Those guys should be catching and shooting like target practice once he's breaking fools down.

The defense will come around. He'll get better with TOs.

He had the one fast break which is what he needs to do. He played solid defense - he got sucked in too far a few times, but correctable. What is MUCH more concerning is that he still cannot hold on to the ball in any kind of traffic. That won't cut it next year. Goodine better be ready. Razor thin depth here.

The amount of times he drives into trouble and loses the ball is alarming. He must’ve been able to get away with that in high school.

He still needs to learn both when and how to pick his spots in college.

He is the best pure athlete on the team, and he looked great running the floor and finishing that fast break layup. He’s very active defensively and I think will be very good on that end.

It will come down to improving as a shooter and learning to drive effectively.

yeah. pushing tempo a bit and not allowing pitt to set up their defense was part of the reason we took off. frank has never pushed the ball in his entire career.
And it is not JB either, every time we get a rebound or steal you see JB urging our guys to run but Frank is not comfortable with that. One thing that urks me though is that if we do run we sometimes have everyone run to the 3 pt line. Need one if not two going hard to the basket to draw defenders at the very least and open it up for the trailers, very few go hard to the bucket anymore, MD does but rarely see that from OB. I will be dumbfounded if he transfers, one good hope is that Frank seems to be his mentor and he has lived where JC is right now.

assuming he stays, and I think he will(just a gut feeling of course, what the hell do I know?), I think the trip to Italy this coming summer could be very helpful to his development more than anyone else on the roster.

I know that Buddy's first second half stanza gets a ton of the credit for last night's win, but Carey's minutes was like a full coke rail for this team heading in to halftime. They energy was vastly different literally the second he came in, and it carried over. Juxtapose that to Frank looking the smoothest he has all season and abusing Pitt's small guards in the midrange. That was how it looked in my head coming in to the season. I hope it wasn't a momentary blip last night.

assuming he stays, and I think he will(just a gut feeling of course, what the hell do I know?), I think the trip to Italy this coming summer could be very helpful to his development more than anyone else on the roster.

I know it's gotta be super tough for a blue chip to sit most of a year, and sure, SU basketball may not be held in the same regard as it was 10 years ago (debatable), but I can't imagine the incentive to leave when you have the starting PG role in your hands at a still elite, Nike-darling institution in the best conference with tons of national TV exposure. So you can, what, sit out a year and wind up in the AAC or Big 12 or something?

That's the first I have heard of it: are we doing one of those international trips this summer? If so, that's awesome.

That's the first I have heard of it: are we doing one of those international trips this summer? If so, that's awesome.

Without looking it up, my hunch is that years we do true international trips wind up being strong seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom