No matter what I am proud of Mike Hopkins rotation this first half | Syracusefan.com

No matter what I am proud of Mike Hopkins rotation this first half

Alsacs

Living Legend
He is rotating players and not just giving minutes to people.
I am glad Kaleb is getting a chance to play.

Eh, thought it sucked as always of late. Why we go away from that works just to get TC back in the game is baffling. The guard rotations are stupid. I'm not even saying KJ was playing all that special...but we were scoring, and weren't taking a hit on defense.

With that being said, so nobody freaks out, had no issue with Cooney's PT in the second half - when he's playing well, and/or the team is playing well, but all means, keep him in! May have gone back to KJ or FH in the second half when we extended the lead, probably to give G a breather, but I can understand Hop's reluctance. Just wish that applied to everyone else in regard to PT...

Just seems unlikely that the best man for the job would just happen to be the long time assistant coach. It could be. Just seems unlikely.

orangefan13 said:
Hop enjoys coaching, and its fun to watch him coach.

He was ripping his jacket off 10 mins in. Another time I thought he was gonna get a T. Assts had to pull him back and the ref told him twice to sit down.

He was ripping his jacket off 10 mins in. Another time I thought he was gonna get a T. Assts had to pull him back and the ref told him twice to sit down.

That's interesting. It was very hard to see he was that into it by watching on tv.

iommi said:
That's interesting. It was very hard to see he was that into it by watching on tv.

He doesn't jump nor flail arms like JB does, so it may not be as noticeable on TV. He did try doing a JB impersonation ripping his jacket off, but his arms got stuck in it.

He doesn't jump nor flail arms like JB does, so it may not be as noticeable on TV. He did try doing a JB impersonation ripping his jacket off, but his arms got stuck in it.
He did rip it off but then handed it to someone behind the bench who immediately carried it into the locker room.

Just seems unlikely that the best man for the job would just happen to be the long time assistant coach. It could be. Just seems unlikely.

Worked out ok with Michigan St and Tom Izzo. Izzo had about a 16 years as an assistant ( about 12 at MSU) and no head coaching experience.

Worked out ok with Michigan St and Tom Izzo. Izzo had about a 16 years as an assistant ( about 12 at MSU) and no head coaching experience.

Similar circumstances, in that Judd Heathcote (sp?) was a legend too.

Yeah, but Izzo is the second coming of John Wooden, so no way Hop could be as successful. :rolleyes:

orangedave said:
He did rip it off but then handed it to someone behind the bench who immediately carried it into the locker room.

Yea, he did get it off but tried to do it all in one violent motion...and failed. Lol.

Yeah, but Izzo is the second coming of John Wooden, so no way Hop could be as successful. :rolleyes:

Not sure I get the sarcasm here, Pete. Wooden may have a gazillion titles but Izzo IS one of the best in the business.

Agreed. I love Hopkins, and I'm appreciative of all of his contributions to the program over decades. But this is an elite caliber job. Maybe not the right gig for an unproven head coach.

Again, nothing against Hop. Like you, I simply question whether he will be the best / top candidate for the job when it eventually opens up. It's a moot point, but I'm 100% in agreement with your post.

Not sure I get the sarcasm here, Pete. Wooden may have a gazillion titles but Izzo IS one of the best in the business.

I know he is. But he started off with no head coaching experience either. The implication made here by another poster was that Hop may not be the right guy even though he is the 'heir'. I call BS on that. Give the man some time.

Yeah, I don't have an issue so much with the rotations except for Howard. As I was watching the game, I said out loud to my son, WHERE IS FRANK the TANK???? Why not give him more minutes in a game like this. Again, I thought things were fine for the most part (from a coaching standpoint - from one couch potato to a coach), but I would like to see more Frank and even a little more Kaleb in games like these because we could need them moving forward. I've liked what I've seen from Frank so far in limited minutes and would like to see more!

Seems like Howard is only used for the pressing lineup by either JB or Hop.

I think if Boeheim wants Hopkins as coach, the fans should want Hopkins as coach. Boeheim cares about the program more than anyone and is in best position to determine who the best coach for his program is after he leaves.

Agreed. I love Hopkins, and I'm appreciative of all of his contributions to the program over decades. But this is an elite caliber job. Maybe not the right gig for an unproven head coach.

Again, nothing against Hop. Like you, I simply question whether he will be the best / top candidate for the job when it eventually opens up. It's a moot point, but I'm 100% in agreement with your post.
I'd rather gamble with him than an unknown. We already know he can recruit and he's about as well thought of in coaching as can be.

Seems like Howard is only used for the pressing lineup by either JB or Hop.

I think if Boeheim wants Hopkins as coach, the fans should want Hopkins as coach. Boeheim cares about the program more than anyone and is in best position to determine who the best coach for his program is after he leaves.

I hear ya' but that isn't how it works as you well know. Just because Coach B plays zone 100% of the time doesn't mean that we (as fans) have to accept and support that approach. I absolutely support the program and am a guy that looks for optimism any way I can get it, however, that doesn't mean that I have to drink the cool-aide when it tastes a bit sour. My thought on the whole matter, for what it's worth, is that when Hopkins is the head coach, he will feel more latitude to do what feels is right rather than now which is doing what Boeheim thinks is right. While I don't thing their styles will be that much different, I anticipate Hopkins taking more risks and mixing it up more (which isn't unlike what Boeheim did earlier in his career).

I'd rather gamble with him than an unknown. We already know he can recruit and he's about as well thought of in coaching as can be.

There is a lot of truth to this. It's harder to make a good hire than people want to admit. Just because we are a desirable program doesn't mean that we would make a hire that works out just because we did a full search...would we even pay market? I am ok giving Hop a shot, but the leash has to be fairly short. Two full years and reevaluate.

It's interesting; I would like to think that JB would hand Hop a program that is in good shape. Unfortunately, he has two and is working on a third mediocre to bad year in a row. Next year is promising, but I'm sure JB will want to hang on to coach that team so that he doesn't go out on a bad note....and there is no guarantee that that team will be great.

Totally nit picking here, but an established coach wouldn't be an "unknown." It would be somebody with a track record of success commensurate with being qualified to interview for an elite job. To me, that's even less of a gamble than going with an unproven coach.

Totally nit picking here, but an established coach wouldn't be an "unknown." It would be somebody with a track record of success commensurate with being qualified to interview for an elite job. To me, that's even less of a gamble than going with an unproven coach.
curious RF... you seem to be not too on board right now with Hop as the next coach, whereas you were fully on board before - am I correct here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom