No More 4 Hour Games | Syracusefan.com

No More 4 Hour Games

anomander

Living Legend
This new rule where the clock doesn't stop on 1st down should really speed up the length of games. No more excuses of wasting an entire afternoon. I'm not sure what I feel? We play 12 games a year. The season seems to fly by anyway. If the game lasts 4 hours I wouldn't want to be doing much else.

I think they expect it to only knock off 10 minutes or less unfortunately. We’ll see. Great change to start though
Really? I would have assumed more. NFL are usually right at 3 hours. That would be a good time.

The crazy part is, fans love the actual product on the field. And based on small sample size from week 0, the new rule reduced the number of plays in a game by 7.9%, while only reducing the length of a game by 1.5%. Networks have to pay these crazy media deals somehow.

Going from watching soccer to football is really tough. So many breaks and commercials. It’s like hockey in person vs baseball in person. A completely different experience.

That said, I’m really looking fwd to EPL mornings flowing right into CFB afternoons lol

the new review policy helped several times last night. they dont need official reviews to fix errors

Someone posted last week that comparing the Week 0 games times to last year there was only a shortening of like 4 minutes total.

Like the ACC expansion it sucks these kids can't reset and get off plays as they mount a comeback.

Maybe get rid of it for the first 3 quarters and then stop it in the 4th. Last 2 minutes isn't enough.

You won't see a drop in total game time until one of two things happen
  • Running clock the entire game.
  • Decrease the commercial time.
Which of the two has a better chance of happening?
why can't they make it like Madden NFL (video game) with accelerated clock when they get to the line?

The crazy part is, fans love the actual product on the field. And based on small sample size from week 0, the new rule reduced the number of plays in a game by 7.9%, while only reducing the length of a game by 1.5%. Networks have to pay these crazy media deals somehow.
I never really mind the length of the games. I like having lots of plays, so teams having 75-85 plays per game is great. What I hate are the long commercial breaks. But I’m realistic enough to know that’s never going to change. Still your stats above suggest this is all addressing the wrong issue.

Felt like yesterday was the longest FCS game of all time. Usually those barely break the 3 hour mark. With all of those running plays it should not have been that long. But thanks to the real issue with game length, it was a longer game than normal. Unacceptable to have all of those commercial breaks and for each to be 2:55. Even worse is the 3:10 breaks for real games.

If NBC can find a way to make money off of EPL and no commercials, why in the heck can't ESPN/FOX figure out how to make money off of 2 min CFB commercial breaks?

The problem was never too many plays (what they are trying to reduce). The problem was going from 2:20 breaks in the old days to 3:10 now AND that we have too many breaks. There is barely any football being played. Reducing the football isn't going to make things better.

Felt like yesterday was the longest FCS game of all time. Usually those barely break the 3 hour mark. With all of those running plays it should not have been that long. But thanks to the real issue with game length, it was a longer game than normal. Unacceptable to have all of those commercial breaks and for each to be 2:55. Even worse is the 3:10 breaks for real games.

If NBC can find a way to make money off of EPL and no commercials, why in the heck can't ESPN/FOX figure out how to make money off of 2 min CFB commercial breaks?

The problem was never too many plays (what they are trying to reduce). The problem was going from 2:20 breaks in the old days to 3:10 now AND that we have too many breaks. There is barely any football being played. Reducing the football isn't going to make things better.
Yup let’s reduce actual game time played so we can add in 2 commercials to pay for these contracts

I couldn’t believe we’re up to those lengths for an FCS game on ESPN +. Insane. It’s brutal.

Just keep reviews to 60 seconds. If you can’t overturn in 60 seconds then move on.

Apropos of nothing…. We’re there zero holding calls either way yesterday?

Prior to this season, the average length of an NFL game was 3 hours and 12 minutes, and the average length of a college football game was 3 hours and 22 minutes.

But somewhere along the way, people somehow decided that NFL games are 3 hours and college games are 4 hours and just ran with those numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom