No More 4 Hour Games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

No More 4 Hour Games

I said to my friend Gary yesterday as we sat through yet another 3:10 commercial that when we die they will have to put on our tombstones: Cause of Death: College Football Commercial Breaks. When you are sitting on those hard bleachers it seems interminable.

What a douchebag. Band performances are an essential part of the college football experience. Those kids work just as hard as football players at their craft.
It's funny though as not many people in the building ever stay to see the band.

on how do bands playing during halftime make the game longer? SB being the exception
College football halftimes are 8-10 minutes longer than your NFL halftime. Hence, it drags out the length of the game overall and means fans are trapped at the stadium longer. Most fans don't want to give up an entire Saturday going to a football game. If they can reduce the time of the game, time at halftime, and get the game down to around 3 hours or even just under, the better.

The new rules are a HUGE step into improving the length of games. College football has been unbearable with the length of games, constant reviews, clock stopping on 1st down, ...games lasted forever. The rolling clock is a BIG first step. But there are a few other tweaks they need to make to take the next step.

-Revamp the Instant Replay. Don't let the refs use it as a crutch. Each coach gets 2 challenges, once they use them (even if they are right)...that's it
-Review all "targeting" after the game, if there is a found targeting, player is penalized for the NEXT game
-Shorten halftime to 12 minutes, bands will have to adjust
-Cutting TV commercials is unrealistic because of the money ESPN/FOX pay for the games, but if you can take it from 3:10 to say 2:45 that isn't an unreasonable ask

College football halftimes are 8-10 minutes longer than your NFL halftime. Hence, it drags out the length of the game overall and means fans are trapped at the stadium longer. Most fans don't want to give up an entire Saturday going to a football game. If they can reduce the time of the game, time at halftime, and get the game down to around 3 hours or even just under, the better.

The new rules are a HUGE step into improving the length of games. College football has been unbearable with the length of games, constant reviews, clock stopping on 1st down, ...games lasted forever. The rolling clock is a BIG first step. But there are a few other tweaks they need to make to take the next step.

-Revamp the Instant Replay. Don't let the refs use it as a crutch. Each coach gets 2 challenges, once they use them (even if they are right)...that's it
-Review all "targeting" after the game, if there is a found targeting, player is penalized for the NEXT game
-Cutting TV commercials is unrealistic because of the money ESPN/FOX pay for the games, but if you can take it from 3:10 to say 2:45 that isn't an unreasonable ask

Targeting and replay reviews allow for more commercials.

I’ve never felt “trapped at the stadium.” In fact, I rather enjoy my time there. On game days, the only thing on my agenda is the game. We’re only talking about 6 Saturdays out of 52. The only time I’m concerned about the time of a game is when I’m ready to watch a game on tv and the one before the SU game runs long and cuts into the start of the game I want to watch.

We’re only talking about 6 Saturdays out of 52.
This is why people who schedule weddings on home gamedays are evil. YOU HAVE 46 OTHER SATURDAYS TO CHOOSE FROM. FORTY SIX! Not to mention I can flip a coin at your wedding and tell you whether this event that made me miss a home game will result in a divorce anyway.

“Oh, but the fall is so beautiful for a wedding”

You know what’s more beautiful than your wedding? Watching Cuse run out of the tunnel against Clemson.

You know what’s more enjoyable than your overcooked salmon and mushy asparagus? Every single food item at my tailgate.

But I’m over it.

Last edited:

I agree with every point especially using replay as a crutch. Sadly I agree about the halftime show and state again that the percent of fans who stay in their seats to watch it is very small.

No one cares about the length of games for the people in the stadium. That is 100% about TV.

And as if conference realignment hasn’t killed enough of the tradition in the sport, you jabronis want to kill halftime shows too? JFC. Just watch the NFL.

Lastly, so far the running first down clock has taken almost no time off the game, but has reduced the amount of plays run. It’s the worst possible solution

I agree with every point especially using replay as a crutch. Sadly I agree about the halftime show and state again that the percent of fans who stay in their seats to watch it is very small.
I think that depends on the location of the show.. OSU games seem to get people to watch their halftme show..

And for those 5 people I know who stayed for the entire Colgate (FIXED) game, I heard comments about how long the game seem to last. So the new clock rule does not seem to make a difference. As stated above, reviews and moderate injuries slow the game down the most. And really the Colgate game moved along as well as a game can.

Last edited:
And for those 5 people I know who stayed for the entire Clemson game, I heard comments about how long the game seem to last. So the new clock rule does not seem to make a difference. As stated above, reviews and moderate injuries slow the game down the most. And really the Colgate game moved along as well as a game can.
I don't know the first quarter of the Colgate game seemed to take forever - guy near me claimed it was over 50 minutes.

Less plays and more commercials is not a solution to shortening games. Until replay gets limited nothing will change.

Not stopping the clock after incomplete passes would be a time saver that would make an impact fast.

I don't know the first quarter of the Colgate game seemed to take forever - guy near me claimed it was over 50 minutes.

Less plays and more commercials is not a solution to shortening games. Until replay gets limited nothing will change.

Not stopping the clock after incomplete passes would be a time saver that would make an impact fast.
Injuries and penalties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom