North Carolina Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

North Carolina Gameday...

I wouldn't count on March and Petro being back next year. Everyone talks about rebuilding and changing the culture but this season has been ugly and if Gait doesn't think these coaches are the right fit, he will jettison them now and not wait.
Petro was a good hire and is a good coach. Gait be lost without .Overly intense and demanding but he bleeds for his players and his instruction has helped individuals. Can deny but there were bouts on progress seen. He is going nowhere unless the right HC opportunity presents itself. Expect Gait after a year delegating to become more immersed with offense, how that impacts March unknown.

Trust Cuse will bring in a good fogo or two in offseason. Goalie position will be assessed. Five deep and a few coming in. As far as Cuse shot selection and shooting percentages, many scores were unassisted simply because orchestrators such as Refhuss was gone and Hiltz was out. Be different flow next year with Hiltz returning and Spallina arriving. Expect shooting percentages to rise significantly .

Agree. there is a psychological dynamic to defensive coordination that depends on confidence in the goalie. When a goalie cannot stop at least 50% percent of shots in general and a good portion of shots he should not ordinarily stop, defensemen will react from anxiety, even panic in front of him, no matter talent or skill. Drake's performance last year as opposed to the previous year suffered horribly from his surrender to depression during tough games. Even relatively skilled ds like Kennedy looked awful in that situation. Synergistically, the goalie loses confidence in his ds and chaos results. Hedges become full on dives instead of slides, tough coverage becomes hacks and trips. I think recruiting should start with all out efforts to find the best goalie and FOGO.
I agree with your comments about the "synergies" between defense and goalie. We haven't seen that spark of confidence and take charge authority in the goalies this year that we saw with Porter and Molloy. Unless you are a psychologist, I don't think you can describe Drake as depressed in tough games last year - less confident, head on swivel would be better IMO. I feel bad for the current goalies as they didn't get a solid season under their belts before dealing with the chaos of this season. How good they could be we just don't know as we aren't there at practices. They have had to deal with Gait's constant switching and obvious lack of confidence in them, something which Desko never did. After a season like this, both Gavin and Thompson may not be able to "recover" mentally and a new goalie (McCool or transfer) will be the only options.

Gait's communication skills are very poor in my view. Constantly (directly or indirectly) dissing the talent level of the players, their preparation and their execution has to be hugely demoralizing. Just bringing Gavin in as a transfer sent a clear message to Thompson. Replacing Phaup will be a major requirement!

Frick it, time to say something positive . UNC had everything to play for, Cuse team could have mailed it in after a falling behind by several but didnt. Coming off a deflating loss they battled for sixty minutes on the road only to suffer another loss that could have been a win. Have respect for those who continue to empty their tanks despite the heartbreaks. Two remaining games agaisnt two very good teams that could actually challenge Maryland. Ill continue watching and rooting for these kids especially those in their last year of eligibility who returned in hopes of helping Cuse have a good transitional season. Be at peace knowing your efforts are noticed.

I'm more positive than most and I like what I saw yesterday and previous games this season. Syracuse has been playing with more heart and hustle then we've seen in years ... and the stats prove it. This team never quits. Last year NC blew us out of the Dome 21-9, so the Desko argument from previous posts are mute. We had more shots, FOs, EMO goals, GBs, higher clear percentage and fewer turnovers. It is true the we need some goalie, passing and shot selection work, but gee, look at the potential this team has as we build towards the future. Win or lose, I like what I see.

Gary has been a winner on every level of coaching and playing, and you can tell the losing is foreign to him by watching the post game Press. He will make staff changes if he sees fit. I don't think he's enthrauled with March's coaching.

I wouldn't count on March and Petro being back next year. Everyone talks about rebuilding and changing the culture but this season has been ugly and if Gait doesn't think these coaches are the right fit, he will jettison them now and not wait.

Is this from an informed source or just your personal opinion?

I’d be very surprised if March is let go, just for the simple fact that assistant coaches are hardly ever fired. I’m sure some are but the reasons for their leaving are chalked up to “personnel reasons”, but I’m having a hard time thinking of a single instance when one was straight up fired. Lacrosse is not at the cut throat level of basketball and football. Even when Petro’s fortunes at Hopkins were going down he stuck with his assistants. And side note, but look now, one of them is leading the best offense in the country. I guess another point for “it’s the players not the coaches.”

The offense hasn’t been great but definitely not the main reason that this team isn’t winning. They’ve also dealt with a TON of injuries. Hiltz, Cook, Quinn, Buttermore, Birtwistle and Cordes, all players who have gotten (or would have gotten) starters minutes this season have missed games this year. Not to mention Curry had a giant bag of ice in his shoulder post game that must have carried over from last week. That can’t be easy to work with. Not sure how many coaches could deal with losing their best player and still produced an efficient offense.

Not to mention I don’t think they’ve played a single game this season with a fully healthy starting lineup, and I’m not even taking Hiltz into consideration here.

Is this from an informed source or just your personal opinion?

I’d be very surprised if March is let go, just for the simple fact that assistant coaches are hardly ever fired. I’m sure some are but the reasons for their leaving are chalked up to “personnel reasons”, but I’m having a hard time thinking of a single instance when one was straight up fired. Lacrosse is not at the cut throat level of basketball and football. Even when Petro’s fortunes at Hopkins were going down he stuck with his assistants. And side note, but look now, one of them is leading the best offense in the country. I guess another point for “it’s the players not the coaches.”

The offense hasn’t been great but definitely not the main reason that this team isn’t winning. They’ve also dealt with a TON of injuries. Hiltz, Cook, Quinn, Buttermore, Birtwistle and Cordes, all players who have gotten (or would have gotten) starters minutes this season have missed games this year. Not to mention Curry had a giant bag of ice in his shoulder post game that must have carried over from last week. That can’t be easy to work with. Not sure how many coaches could deal with losing their best player and still produced an efficient offense.

Not to mention I don’t think they’ve played a single game this season with a fully healthy starting lineup, and I’m not even taking Hiltz into consideration here.
Just my own opinion. It would be logical if Gait wasn't happy with coaches and wants to hit the ground running in the new Spallina era. Injuries have been brutal this year no question but the inconsistencies and sloppiness are on the coaches IMO.

just to mention unc believe had 19 shots on goal n only cuse had 5 saves seems to me defense didn’t play to to poorly but goalie play just has been nonexistent. Truely think a decent goalie even with all injuries and what not there’s few games we win with a goalie who can least make 10saves or more in game which not sure any of our goalies made that many by themselves or maby one game vs lower opponent but either way if goalie can’t make more then 5 saves game no matter how good defense plays don’t see team winning much .

Petro was a good hire and is a good coach. Gait be lost without .Overly intense and demanding but he bleeds for his players and his instruction has helped individuals. Can deny but there were bouts on progress seen. He is going nowhere unless the right HC opportunity presents itself. Expect Gait after a year delegating to become more immersed with offense, how that impacts March unknown.
I will never see how Petro was an upgrade when his own program he had built for 20 years was in worse shape then SU on all levels.He is a capable coach and he does care yet he will be gone at the first head coaching job that fits his criteria Leland Rogers turned the SU defense around in his first season in 2008 from a punch line in a joke in 2007 to winning the National Championship granted they had major attitude upgrades in goal with Galloway added Sid Smith and helped develop one of the greatest LSM’s in the history of the game in Joel White. Where is this years player development?

I will never see how Petro was an upgrade when his own program he had built for 20 years was in worse shape then SU on all levels.He is a capable coach and he does care yet he will be gone at the first head coaching job that fits his criteria Leland Rogers turned the SU defense around in his first season in 2008 from a punch line in a joke in 2007 to winning the National Championship granted they had major attitude upgrades in goal with Galloway added Sid Smith and helped develop one of the greatest LSM’s in the history of the game in Joel White. Where is this years player development?

You bring up an interesting point that we haven't really talked about ...player and team development,

Did we see any guys come along as the season went on? ..Did the team grow? ..Not sure

...maybe some signs of things shaping after the last two games, or maybe those performances were possible back in February.?

Player and Team development is on coaching ...there is always room for development and growth at all levels and most teams are better in May. Cuse has been pretty strong historically in developing talent.

With all of the injures, it makes both player and team devlopment/chemistry a challenge...

we'll never really know where the growth potential is/was as so many stage things happened over the season starting with Hiltz pre-season in a scrimmage.

The wheels sort of slowly came off after that..

Seems like most of the 4th Q goals we gave up were a result of sliding AJ and did so occasionally where it wasn't a great go.

#12 by the way I thought played really well SSDM.

Freeze frame 13:20, 7:22, 1:05, 21.1 may give you different perspective.
#9 gave us problems dodging round cage, dont slide n he's shooting on cage

7:22 was kickoff by Solomon with return pass back to him. Others were #9

Caccomo picked up Gray well on last and Kennedy already had rreturned to have crease covered after adj. . Gray jump shot was saveable

Caccomo picked up Gray well on last and Kennedy already had rreturned to have crease covered after adj. . Gray jump shot was saveable
On top of that it looks like Olexo was literally an inch away from checking Grays stick during the follow through of the final jump shot. Never good to lose, but I’m glad these Cornell and UNC games haven’t been crucial for playoff contention because then we really would be pulling our hair out.

On top of that it looks like Olexo was literally an inch away from checking Grays stick during the follow through of the final jump shot. Never good to lose, but I’m glad these Cornell and UNC games haven’t been crucial for playoff contention because then we really would be pulling our hair out.

Story of the season unfortunately, to many times SU was just an inch or a second way from a check, or a steal or a goal etc. Good that the team is literally right there on getting over the hump but beyond frustrating.

March maybe, but I can't see Petro going anywhere, especially since GG has been blaming the lack of talent all season.

Season could have been so different. Run scenarios in my head from 6-6 to even 9-3 but it is what it is.
UVA and ND were the only two teams that outclassed Cuse so of course they close with those same two teams who need to win . Be a positive conclusion if Cuse is as competitive in those games as they were agaisnt Maryland, Duke, Cornell and UNC

Syracuse

Adjusted Offensive Efficiency: #18 out of 73 (better than Brown, Penn, Harvard, UNC)

Adjusted Defensive Efficiency: #62 out of 73 (worse than NJIT)

That's the story of your season right there. Streaky and inconsistent offense but one that has been competitive and in fact better than several possible playoff teams. Meanwhile, an unmitigated disaster on defense. No real other way to put it. Denver is the only legit program with a worse D this season. All the other teams below Cuse in this category are nobodies (VMI, Holy Cross, UMass Lowell, Hampton, etc.) Petro inherited a mess on that side of the ball, so he's not entirely to blame, but he has also failed to make any meaningful improvements from last season.

As much as we know D1 lacrosse stats have many issues, I think the defensive efficiency is one that reflects what we are all seeing and intuitively know - Cuse' defense sucks and sucked last year.

Of course, Cuse has had to play some very strong offenses so I think the #62 is too low but even if you assume that the defensive efficiency stat is in the 40s or 50s, Cuse is clearly in the bottom half of D1. Having watched many other teams last year and this year, our D "looks" worse than many mid-tier teams.
The offensive efficiency number almost looks too good but probably reflects the inconsistency - struggling within games but pushing Cornell to OT and almost knocking off UNC.

I'm more positive than most and I like what I saw yesterday and previous games this season. Syracuse has been playing with more heart and hustle then we've seen in years ... and the stats prove it. This team never quits. Last year NC blew us out of the Dome 21-9, so the Desko argument from previous posts are mute. We had more shots, FOs, EMO goals, GBs, higher clear percentage and fewer turnovers. It is true the we need some goalie, passing and shot selection work, but gee, look at the potential this team has as we build towards the future. Win or lose, I like what I see.
My Desko argument is more with a team that makes this effort and keeps it close, I felt like his teams found a way to win these types of games. He seemed to call the right timeouts and set up the right plays on offense. I think about those cardiac Cuse teams. when it happens a ton of times it is not a fluke.

Sure there were blowouts and he likely needed to retire. his recruiting fell off and the staff lost whatever magic they had especially on defense. Last year was a train wreck off the field and it spilled onto it.

My Desko thoughts are reactionary during a game thread. As I tend to block out the bad memories in those moments:) But to say the points are mute are unfair in my opinion. :)

My Desko argument is more with a team that makes this effort and keeps it close, I felt like his teams found a way to win these types of games. He seemed to call the right timeouts and set up the right plays on offense. I think about those cardiac Cuse teams. when it happens a ton of times it is not a fluke.

Sure there were blowouts and he likely needed to retire. his recruiting fell off and the staff lost whatever magic they had especially on defense. Last year was a train wreck off the field and it spilled onto it.

My Desko thoughts are reactionary during a game thread. As I tend to block out the bad memories in those moments:) But to say the points are mute are unfair in my opinion. :)
You raise some excellent points. Please don't misunderstand my comments, I was referencing last season's lackuster performance only. I have been a big Desko supporter and have worked closely with him getting his recruits into my academic programs. I respect all he has done for this program. I'm just disappointed he couldn't have gone out on top. I will miss him.

They'd better open the goalie competition wide open. Defense has been poor but your goalie has to be able to make stops. Gavin's save percentage of .423 is abysmal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom