Not a Great Coaching Job By JB Tonight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not a Great Coaching Job By JB Tonight

I'm actually stunned G didn't heat check a three. He was feeling it.

I agree I wanted to see him advance the ball and pull up for a 3. I didn't like going for the two and then needing to get the ball back in the flow of that game.

He seemed to phone this one in, especially down the stretch. As someone else said in the chat, he looked almost disinterested. Odd.
weird, i thought it was almost a JB special. gbinije makes 7 turnovers and we cant buy a three but only lose by 5. very winnable.

I'm actually stunned G didn't heat check a three. He was feeling it.
He looked up and saw no one between him and the bucket but Paige, so he took his chance. If UNC had more dudes back I think he would have pulled up from deep.

love ya iommi, but this thread is What material
Totally agree. Spend way too much time on this forum criticizing JB when we need to recognize how far this team has gone with a 9 game suspension and only 9 scholarship players. Someone above said it best about tonight's game - took #8 team in country, at home on senior night down to the wire.

I know we got a steal and a breakaway layup out of the half court trap, but there were a few defensive possessions that were begging for us to switch things up and go man. You have to pressure the ball. I know we will never go man, but we obviously practice it, so would it kill JB to break it out a few times? It's amazing that JB is so rigid that he won't even consider it. It's almost like playing man to man would make JB's world crumble.

JB: "We had it set up for him to look for a three in transition. I think he felt he had to get all the way, then we take a time out and we foul and we have a chance to come back. You have to use your best judgement there and he thought he could get to the basket."
see that tells me there was some confusion between what JB wanted and what G actually did. Tough situation at end , time running out and down 3. But yes G made a good move. Could go either way between 2 or 3 but i agree w JB that a 3 should have been set up, and i bet JB did during to TO w 40 secs left. But G decided otherwise. Tough situation down 3 that late. This game actually gave me more hope that we could knock off a 1 seed in 2nd (i guess 3rd) round. Go Cuse!

see that tells me there was some confusion between what JB wanted and what G actually did. Tough situation at end , time running out and down 3. But yes G made a good move. Could go either way between 2 or 3 but i agree w JB that a 3 should have been set up, and i bet JB did during to TO w 40 secs left. But G decided otherwise. Tough situation down 3 that late. This game actually gave me more hope that we could knock off a 1 seed in 2nd (i guess 3rd) round. Go Cuse!

I heard they are going back to calling the traditional first round games, the first round and the play-in games as such too. Not sure if it's true but that's what I heard.

The half court jump trap that JB called was awesome. But you can't run that too often...its sense of surprise is its greatest advantage.

When he calls it, the guards trap and everyone else overplays towards the trap.

The play is to beat it over the top toward the basket ...which isn't hard to do avian ST or small front line if you know it's coming.

JB has great sense of when to call it.

Wait till 7'2" is back there.

I'm the culprit who made the JB looks disinterested comment in the chatroom. I based it on the comparative lack of animation JB showed during the game. The TV shots that I saw JB seemed much calmer than usual.

Didn't mean it as a criticism of his coaching ability or style.

The half court jump trap that JB called was awesome. But you can't run that too often...its sense of surprise is its greatest advantage.

When he calls it, the guards trap and everyone else overplays towards the trap.

The play is to beat it over the top toward the basket ...which isn't hard to do avian ST or small front line if you know it's coming.

JB has great sense of when to call it.

Wait till 7'2" is back there.
The final defensive stop was outstanding imo. Put the trap on , backed it off then put it back on, etc. Wound up w missed jumper. That was fun to watch

JB ordinarily likes to keep going so the opponent doesn't get a chance to set their defense.

I'm the culprit who made the JB looks disinterested comment in the chatroom. I based it on the comparative lack of animation JB showed during the game. The TV shots that I saw JB seemed much calmer than usual.

Didn't mean it as a criticism of his coaching ability or style.

Okay, great. Now at least you guys know who inspired this awful thread. And yes, I admit my initial post sucks. I was pissed that we flittered away another close game and really didn't know what to post, so I rolled with this drivel.

Mea culpa.:eek:

He looked up and saw no one between him and the bucket but Paige, so he took his chance. If UNC had more dudes back I think he would have pulled up from deep.

He should have anyway. Even if he missed, he follows the shot and would have had a great chance at cleaning up his own miss. He's way taller than Paige as well.

iommi said:
I know we got a steal and a breakaway layup out of the half court trap, but there were a few defensive possessions that were begging for us to switch things up and go man. You have to pressure the ball. I know we will never go man, but we obviously practice it, so would it kill JB to break it out a few times? It's amazing that JB is so rigid that he won't even consider it. It's almost like playing man to man would make JB's world crumble.
We wouldn't be able to play man against UNC. They have too many weapons.

Boeheim's got a history of letting not giving the defense a chance to get set and letting the players play - when he trusts his players.

He's demanded timeouts in similar situations pretty often this year (and the past four years).

He seemed to phone this one in, especially down the stretch. As someone else said in the chat, he looked almost disinterested. Odd.

JB should have punched that one ref in the mouth who was making off the offensive foul calls. What an a hole.

Yeah, right. 13 point dog, on the road, senior night, team,coming off a,list fighting for a 1 seed, and we have a chance to tie with 10 seconds to go. Bad coaching. :bat:

I'm stunned that there are still SU fans who think going man-to-man is even a remote possibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom