Not even mad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not even mad

Problem is we need a new defensive philosophy. The three point shot is continuing to increase as the go-to weapon in college and pro ball. The zone will continue to get shredded as these young kids are comfortable shooting out to 25 feet.

Plus we are going to be smaller/guard dominant next year. Doesn’t exactly fit the ideal zone.

It's not just the three point shot..its the inability to rebound out of it. Even when opposition misses, they have a near even shot at the rebound and a new possession. that KILLS you with such a long shot clock in college.

the only way we seem to stop teams is if they turn it over. if they miss a bunch, they just get the ball back. the only way our D is effective is if we literally prevent the other team from taking a shot..once the shot is up, only bad things happen.

Was initially bummed that the season is over but now I’m just sitting here like...

C2933590-010D-4276-9E86-F7E4C4E3CB22.gif

Same coach. We play this same offense and same defense and have no big time recruits coming in.

I'm not sure what's different.
Same coach. We play this same offense and same defense and have no big time recruits coming in.

I'm not sure what's different.
What the Hell?

The 10’-13’ glory years ain’t coming back, my friend. Not under this coach.

Have to see, you may be right. I just don't think JB would go out like this but he's been stubborn.

Have to see, you may be right. I just don't think JB would go out like this but he's been stubborn.
If they can land some size and talented size in 2020, with guards we have now and coming in, then JBs last two years should be very good for us as fans

I also wasn't really mad at all. I'm mad at the season overall and frustrated by everything that transpired over the last 12 months to go from what looked like a great shot at a top 10-15 team and a deep run to this... But coming into tonight I had low expectations for the weekend, and even before the news about Frank low expectations for the tourney overall, so this outcome didn't hurt that much.

It's not like we were a team with a great chance to make a deep run that blew it against a much weaker opponent. We were a middle of the pack tourney team that had to beat another middle of the pack tourney team then hope to go on a Cinderella run through some top seeds. Can't expect that to work out every time you're in that spot.

I am more frustrated that a significant portion of our fanbase doesn’t get our HC needs to make changes but they don’t care.
We are the easiest team in the nation team to prepare for. Teams we have an athletic advantage over mid majors it’s harder to beat us.
If you have athletes just tell them to try hard on defense and give an effort you can slow down our offense. We are 1 on 1 basketball in the halfcourt with little to zero post presence.
On offense get the ball to the middle of the zone and you will get an open shot on that possession.

Interested to see how Oshae rebounds from this sophomore slump. It’s Elijah’s team now imo, and Oshae’s gotta reclaim the promise he showed freshman year.

Sidibe and Marek have a long way to go, a long way. I hope we see Sidibe 100% eventually. I hope Marek gains weight this offseason, not doing so last year was inexcusable and cost us on the boards imo.

Carey and Buddy had valuable learning experiences. Carey’s gotta improve the handle and soak up whatever experience he can in practice, I hope they’re intense. Buddy just needs to condition and improve that quickness and explosiveness on defense. Learn to shoot of the dribble or on the move.

Potentially rough year next year but I’m excited for the new blood.

I feel same way. Watching the game I actually had no emotion for most of it which is crazy. Then just like that, there was 3 minutes left. Didn’t even realize it. Then it ended. Fitting actually.
I actually fell asleep during a game for the first time in my life! I wasn't very emotionally invested in the outcome once I knew Frank was out. It has just been one of those seasons. I had some good times with friends at games, though! CuseTroop and friends.

"You're not going to win many games when the other team is shooting like that."

Baylor was "shooting like that" because our guards were either out of position or slow to rotate which gave the Bears got open looks all night. This, coupled with the quick shots that the Baylor guards were able to get off sent us home.

The veterans never improved and the defense got worse.

Hughes was a solid addition.

Buddy will get killed for tonight,but he’s probably been the biggest positive of the season.

Looking forward to new blood.
Unfortunately we’re not getting new blood where we need it most.

Teams have learned how to get quality looks from the 3 pt line against this zone. There's gonna have to be an adjustment or tweak to the zone to figure this out.

Our guys just can't cover the 3 consistently and it seems obvious they are getting worn out running at the shooter all game long. The team was tired at the end of the game ... you could tell by how most shots were coming up short

If you can't make a tweak to the zone to better account for the 3 (without sacrificing a lot inside), then some real hard questions are going to have to be answered this offseason

This is all not to mention that North Carolina has learned to shred our zone

Jimmy Boeheim didn't even seem like he wanted to be there at halftime. His responses to the reporter interview outside the locker room couldn't be less inspired or snarky

Okay, now I am pretty mad. Wasn't last night but the more I think about that game...

What a joke of a game. Haha. It couldn't have been more classic!

The game has evolved and changed. League is flush with 3 point shooters. 100 percent zone is obsolete. Lose too many rebounds also. They just shoot over zone.

It's not just the three point shot..its the inability to rebound out of it. Even when opposition misses, they have a near even shot at the rebound and a new possession. that KILLS you with such a long shot clock in college.

the only way we seem to stop teams is if they turn it over. if they miss a bunch, they just get the ball back. the only way our D is effective is if we literally prevent the other team from taking a shot..once the shot is up, only bad things happen.

I hear you, those are the weaknesses of the zone, but we are consistently top 20 in the country in defensive efficiency even with our mediocre teams. The problem over the past 5 years hasn’t been defense, it’s been our offense.

I hear you, those are the weaknesses of the zone, but we are consistently top 20 in the country in defensive efficiency even with our mediocre teams. The problem over the past 5 years hasn’t been defense, it’s been our offense.

The offense is due to recruiting for our defense though. This whole program is built around playing zone. Top Recruits know if they come here, we aren’t getting them ready for the NBA, they are playing zone for a year. It’s just not working at this point with the current structure.

I was thinking about this last night in the aftermath. I am not mad at the players or coaches, they did not tank the game. If I am mad, it is with myself for my expectations. In the end, I think am just disappointed. Syracuse exiting the tournament means the amount I care about and follow the tournament takes a big hit.

The offense is due to recruiting for our defense though. This whole program is built around playing zone. Top Recruits know if they come here, we aren’t getting them ready for the NBA, they are playing zone for a year. It’s just not working at this point with the current structure.

Agree, JB has over rotated in that direction. I just don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with the zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom