Not even mad | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not even mad

I'm almost relieved that I don't have to be miserable tomorrow. Always a 20% chance Gonzaga could have a terrible shooting night and we could muck it up but not a likely outcome.

I am more frustrated that a significant portion of our fanbase doesn’t get our HC needs to make changes but they don’t care.
We are the easiest team in the nation team to prepare for. Teams we have an athletic advantage over mid majors it’s harder to beat us.
If you have athletes just tell them to try hard on defense and give an effort you can slow down our offense. We are 1 on 1 basketball in the halfcourt with little to zero post presence.
On offense get the ball to the middle of the zone and you will get an open shot on that possession.
Of course the fan base cares. But what are we going to do? JB is JB. It’s irrelevant whether you defend him or criticize him. He is who he is, and he’s only going to change when he wants to. We have no power over the AD. Relentlessly criticizing him just creates an air of negativity around the program and can hurt recruiting—and we have to get better players in here.

Last edited:
Teams have learned how to get quality looks from the 3 pt line against this zone. There's gonna have to be an adjustment or tweak to the zone to figure this out.

Our guys just can't cover the 3 consistently and it seems obvious they are getting worn out running at the shooter all game long. The team was tired at the end of the game ... you could tell by how most shots were coming up short

If you can't make a tweak to the zone to better account for the 3 (without sacrificing a lot inside), then some real hard questions are going to have to be answered this offseason

This is all not to mention that North Carolina has learned to shred our zone

Jimmy Boeheim didn't even seem like he wanted to be there at halftime. His responses to the reporter interview outside the locker room couldn't be less inspired or snarky
Well, we had a top 25 defense all season, so I’m not too worried about the zone, way more the offense. But one of my complaints about the way we played the zone last night: There should have been no collapsing the zone. We should have concentrated on defending the 3 and not worry about the high post . If all those 3s in the first half were contested 2s instead, that’s possibly 10-12 less points. Let them shoot that jumper from the top of the key all day. You have to choose what you’re going to take away. Not having Frank hurt big time. Buddy made some bad rotations that led to 3s and didn’t do much of anything on offense. Buddy and Tyus also would have been more rested—and Frank would’ve given us another shooter on the floor.

Same coach. We play this same offense and same defense and have no big time recruits coming in.

I’m not sure what’s different.

(I wrote this at 12:20 am but forgot to hit the Post Reply button)
Same coach. We play this same offense and same defense and have no big time recruits coming in.

I'm not sure what's different.
What the Hell?

What the Hell?

i-just-want-to-tell-you-good-luck-were-all-counting-on-you.jpg

One thing that continues to puzzle me is what happens to Hughes in the 2nd half? Several times this year he was crazy hot in the 1st half and all but disappears in the 2nd half. At times I would think the other team made halftime adjustments, but every game? Not sure if he does not have stamina or does he not get the ball or what? Building on this, if that is how he plays - good for one half - maybe we should use him as 6th man in the first half and turn him loose in the 2nd half.

One thing that continues to puzzle me is what happens to Hughes in the 2nd half? Several times this year he was crazy hot in the 1st half and all but disappears in the 2nd half. At times I would think the other team made halftime adjustments, but every game? Not sure if he does not have stamina or does he not get the ball or what? Building on this, if that is how he plays - good for one half - maybe we should use him as 6th man in the first half and turn him loose in the 2nd half.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that he runs out of gas. I can’t think of anything else.

Hopefully that’s something he works on and finds a way to improve on over the offseason.

If he does, he could be an 18 ppg on pretty good percentages type guy.

He had 7 points in the 2nd half which is exactly his average over the season for half a game. The difference last night was that he was so hot in the first half. Hard to match 18 points.

Considering how easily he created then made that one highly contested the corner in the 1st half doesn't seem like defensive adjustments should bother him much unless he just goes cold.

how many times do we have to hear this? do something to stop it

Baylor was "shooting like that" because our guards were either out of position or slow to rotate which gave the Bears got open looks all night. This, coupled with the quick shots that the Baylor guards were able to get off sent us home.

Maybe you are aware, maybe you aren't, but I need to clearly state that I was mocking JBs tired rhetoric.

Maybe you are aware, maybe you aren't, but I need to clearly state that I was mocking JBs tired rhetoric.

Then perhaps you are aware that you should have communicated that in your original post.

It was in quotes bud. Carry on

But it was not sourced. I learned that in high school.

The ignore button was made for posters like you.

Yes, understood your sarcasm perfectly, I'm sick of listening to JB over and over again with this excuse, it's no coincidence teams light us up, it's a systemic problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom