Not so good | Syracusefan.com

Not so good

GoSU96

Living Legend
I figured it would be a rock fight, and SU had it's chances late to win and that made for a compelling game. That being said a lot of issues.

1. Lack of poise all around. Shafer has got to calm the hell down. Throwing his visor around first five minutes of the game, what the hell is that? There's amped up, and there's out of control.

The whole operation was a mess. The offense shouldn't be on the field begging for a play. When Macky comes off the field signaling What you have a problem.

2. The crying about the WR's is ridiculous. Guys weren't running open last year because they were uber talented, they were schemed open and defenses were in a run/pass bind all year. This years group is still faster, taller, and stronger. Flemming, Clark, Broyld all make great catches. They even made nice plays on those boundry throws, not their fault the QB threw them OOBs.

3. So much for "Cool Kid". Second lowest ypc, second lowest completion %, ninth lowest total yds post Robinson. Three returning OL, all the RB's, 3 of top 5 WR's, TE, this is far from a complete rebuild. And PSU is a tough defense, probably the best SU will play other than FSU all year, but this is mostly on the MacDonald and Lester. And what is with not using Morris more. Love what Prince did last year, but Morris is the only guy on the team that can get to the edge against a team like PSU on a sweep from the TB position. And Flemming on a short side Jet sweep, uh wrong guy for that. Clark, Estime I can see, but Flemming, come on.

4. Allen, tough spot to debut, NFL stadium, away game atmosphere, complete chaos from your coaches, but he needs to keep his head to. He was doing what he could, but he can't show the frustration that he did, he looked like Jeff George at times. The play calling yesterday did not help him. Interested to know if it was Broyld who made the right sight adjustment on that throw to the corner in the end zone, because Broyld ran to a total void in the defense. Allen lobs it to the post it's a TD.

Kid can bring it, and while it can be dangerous, I love how he leads his throws to where guys are going to be instead of where they are. Can lead to big plays, but could also lead to pick sixes. He will have to watch that.

5. Defense, okay performance. PSU is not going to be a great offense all year. Really going to struggle to score. Run defense was very good against a not so good backfield. Pass defense, more of the same from last year. 296 yds, 72% completions against, giving up two long pass scores. I would have hoped for better against a true freshmen in his first start.

All of the above being said people need to calm down. The staff and the QB got thrown in the deep end and didn't handle it so well. There is no reason, from a talent perspective, to expect a regression in the offense back to 2009 and 2010. Pieces are there, it's on the staff to get it done.

There were some very good things to take away. Smith getting two redzone TD's, it took him 13 games to score three TD's last year. I thought Broyld played pretty well. Brandon Reddish had a great game I thought. Four takeaways, two resulting in short fields was a tremendous improvement from last year. I thought specials did some very nice things yesterday, even with the miscues.

Good post.

Yes I agree, WRs were scheme open last year.

Didn't happen yesterday.

And communication issues on offense very frustrating and Shafer emotion not needed in new position as HC.

Agree with most of your observations except for Allen. I expected a lot more. He kept patting his chest to signal the incompletion was on him. His accuracy was really pretty poor. He seemed to go to his first read all too often. I do not see what there was to be impressed about. First game etc etc but really he's the guy and he needs to better than this for a 5th year senior.

Let's hope they all settle down.

P.S. For me I would rather see Shafer throw his visor than stoic Marrone. These kids love him and will play their hearts out for him. Besides, he is letting his coaches coach. He will be fine.

Agree with most of your observations except for Allen. I expected a lot more. He kept patting his chest to signal the incompletion was on him. His accuracy was really pretty poor. He seemed to go to his first read all too often. I do not see what there was to be impressed about. First game etc etc but really he's the guy and he needs to better than this for a 5th year senior.

Let's hope they all settle down.

P.S. For me I would rather see Shafer throw his visor than stoic Marrone. These kids love him and will play their hearts out for him. Besides, he is letting his coaches coach. He will be fine.

Marrone wasn't Tom Landry and the HC needs to be a steadying influence. The kids were fired up, his antics weren't needed. Showing up the refs out of the box doesn't help anyone. You don't fling your visor 10 yds down the sideline.

Marrone wasn't Tom Landry and the HC needs to be a steadying influence. The kids were fired up, his antics weren't needed. Showing up the refs out of the box doesn't help anyone. You don't fling your visor 10 yds down the sideline.
You gonna tell the "Ole Ball Coach" that visor flingin' ain't preferred? I'd take Spurrier in a heartbeat.

I think the big theme was "communication". Allen said his receivers weren't communicating with each other. He didn't seem to be communicating with them. The sidelines didn't seem to be communicating with him. Like he said, it can be fixed. it needs to be. Last year's team communicated very well, down the line. it allowed them to get into a rhythm and wear down the other team because they got so many plays off. That didn't happen yesterday.

Re: The communication problem...This didn't start happening in the 4th quarter this started in the 1st Quarter. The coaches need to see this and get everyone on the same page. How do you do this? You HUDDLE THE F-UP and call a play. The no-huddle worked last year because you had veteran QB and WR's and they were always on the same page. If you are having trouble with players getting on the same page slow the game down and huddle up call a play so everyone knows what they are doing...

I figured it would be a rock fight, and SU had it's chances late to win and that made for a compelling game. That being said a lot of issues.

2. The crying about the WR's is ridiculous. Guys weren't running open last year because they were uber talented, they were schemed open and defenses were in a run/pass bind all year. This years group is still faster, taller, and stronger. Flemming, Clark, Broyld all make great catches. They even made nice plays on those boundry throws, not their fault the QB threw them OOBs.

All of the above being said people need to calm down. The staff and the QB got thrown in the deep end and didn't handle it so well. There is no reason, from a talent perspective, to expect a regression in the offense back to 2009 and 2010. Pieces are there, it's on the staff to get it done.

There were some very good things to take away. Smith getting two redzone TD's, it took him 13 games to score three TD's last year. I thought Broyld played pretty well. Brandon Reddish had a great game I thought. Four takeaways, two resulting in short fields was a tremendous improvement from last year. I thought specials did some very nice things yesterday, even with the miscues.

Not trying to be a , but I think you are way off on #2. Scheme definitely plays a role in productivity, but talent IS by far the determining factor. Lemon and, to a lesser extent, Sales were talented route runners who could create separation and catch the ball. I am not convinced that the current group has playmakers like that, but there is some potential (Flemming, AB, Kobeana) and it is early. Just don't see it as a scheme issue.

Agree with everything in the last 2 paragraphs, especially the Reddish stuff. I think he needs to be on the field more, along with Morgan. I am not a big fan of Anderson's play.

Re: The communication problem...This didn't start happening in the 4th quarter this started in the 1st Quarter. The coaches need to see this and get everyone on the same page. How do you do this? You HUDDLE THE F-UP and call a play. The no-huddle worked last year because you had veteran QB and WR's and they were always on the same page. If you are having trouble with players getting on the same page slow the game down and huddle up call a play so everyone knows what they are doing...

Last year Marrone used a card system with certain symbol for certain plays and it seemed to work pretty well.

Not trying to be a , but I think you are way off on #2. Scheme definitely plays a role in productivity, but talent IS by far the determining factor. Lemon and, to a lesser extent, Sales were talented route runners who could create separation and catch the ball. I am not convinced that the current group has playmakers like that, but there is some potential (Flemming, AB, Kobeana) and it is early. Just don't see it as a scheme issue.

Agree with everything in the last 2 paragraphs, especially the Reddish stuff. I think he needs to be on the field more, along with Morgan. I am not a big fan of Anderson's play.

Are our starting wide-outs, West and Flemming, faster than Lemon and Sales? My image of them is more of big, possession-type receivers.

Are our starting wide-outs, West and Flemming, faster than Lemon and Sales? My image of them is more of big, possession-type receivers.

My guess would be not as fast as Lemon, faster than Sales.

Were our wide receivers "schemed" open vs. Minnesota last year? It took Hackett about 3 or 4 years to figure it out, McDonald is one game in...

Of course, it is more than just speed, but speed is a major factor (picture Robinson running, nearly untouched, past Anderson and Eskridge yesterday). As to your question, I think Lemon is much faster than West. I have not seen enough from Flemming to say for sure.

The other thing is that "possession receivers" usually run great short and intermediate routes, get open, and have great hands.

I was a little disappointed we didn't go back to Broyld on the slant. Was it just not there? One drop can't remove it from the playbook. That might have gone for 6 if he held on, had his guy beat and green in front of him.

If Reddish runs outside (really bizarre play, he literally took the ONLY angle that wouldn't work), and we might have won.

Pretty remarkable considering how lost the offense was most of the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

Your comments on the WR's are spot on, we are in big trouble there from a talent perspective.

Lemon was a lot faster than he's ever gotten credit for on this board.

Wilkes made some nice plays yesterday, the pic was beauty, but the two long pass plays were on him.

not sure about the receivers-
the mass confusion still says to me-its all on the oc- maybe mcdonald spent some time with uncle si down on the farm and let him call in plays

3. 3 of top 5 WR's

While it is true that we return 3 of our top 5 WRs from last season, that statement kind of glosses over the fact that one of the 2 that isn't back set the school single season reception record last season, and the other one finished third in the all-time single season reception list. Oh, and, they also finished in ties for 6th and 10th on the all-time single season TD reception list.

So... yeah. I'm not 100% sure of this, but that production might kinda maybe sorta be a little bit of a big deal, possibly, at least in comparison to saying that 3 of our top 5 are back.

McDonald's up in the booth, correct?

He's got to signal the play down to the sideline, someone has to get the correct personnel in the game for the play that's called, and someone has to tell Allen.

A lot of moving parts.

Maybe GM should be down on the sidelines for a few weeks until the kinks get worked out. Things happen a lot faster in an actual game than they do in practice.

De

1. Lack of poise all around. Shafer has got to calm the hell down. Throwing his visor around first five minutes of the game, what the hell is that? There's amped up, and there's out of control.

The whole operation was a mess. The offense shouldn't be on the field begging for a play. When Macky comes off the field signaling What you have a problem.

3. So much for "Cool Kid". Second lowest ypc, second lowest completion %, ninth lowest total yds post Robinson. Three returning OL, all the RB's, 3 of top 5 WR's, TE, this is far from a complete rebuild. And PSU is a tough defense, probably the best SU will play other than FSU all year, but this is mostly on the MacDonald and Lester. And what is with not using Morris more. Love what Prince did last year, but Morris is the only guy on the team that can get to the edge against a team like PSU on a sweep from the TB position. And Flemming on a short side Jet sweep, uh wrong guy for that. Clark, Estime I can see, but Flemming, come on.

4. Allen, tough spot to debut, NFL stadium, away game atmosphere, complete chaos from your coaches, but he needs to keep his head to. He was doing what he could, but he can't show the frustration that he did, he looked like Jeff George at times. The play calling yesterday did not help him. Interested to know if it was Broyld who made the right sight adjustment on that throw to the corner in the end zone, because Broyld ran to a total void in the defense. Allen lobs it to the post it's a TD.

Kid can bring it, and while it can be dangerous, I love how he leads his throws to where guys are going to be instead of where they are. Can lead to big plays, but could also lead to pick sixes. He will have to watch that.

5. Defense, okay performance. PSU is not going to be a great offense all year. Really going to struggle to score. Run defense was very good against a not so good backfield. Pass defense, more of the same from last year. 296 yds, 72% completions against, giving up two long pass scores. I would have hoped for better against a true freshmen in his first start.

Disagree the defense was better than just ok. In fact a lot better. At least 3 sacks and three turnovers including 2 that were almost taken to the house. They also held PSU to 1-15 on third down. I don't think you could have expected more from them especially considering how poor the offense played.

Lemon was a lot faster than he's ever gotten credit for on this board.

Wilkes made some nice plays yesterday, the pic was beauty, but the two long pass plays were on him.

Dead on about Wilkes . he is s great pre game dancer, but he has been getting best consistently for 4 years. Since we run a ton of zone we need super athletic safeties. At this point with the talent we now have I just don't think he is good enough to start. I would love to see Whigham out there. Wilkes would be s great back up, but having him on the field most of the game could hurt us again.

And our special teams once again look sub par. We need a coach specificslky for ST's. It cost us last year, and doexsnt look much better now. Krautman isn't the answer

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4

This loss was on the McDonald. Pure and simple. Communication was almost as bad as Paridisater in his first year. Play calling had no chance of success and showed no real thinking. I believe many of the up the gut calls were a direct result of McDonald being lost and simply having to call a play. He was sophomoric in his debut. Just because a guy can recruit doesnt mean he has the chops to be an OC. I will give him this year but my sense is he is lost at this point

This loss was on the McDonald. Pure and simple. Communication was almost as bad as Paridisater in his first year. Play calling had no chance of success and showed no real thinking. I believe many of the up the gut calls were a direct result of McDonald being lost and simply having to call a play. He was sophomoric in his debut. Just because a guy can recruit doesnt mean he has the chops to be an OC. I will give him this year but my sense is he is lost at this point

There is nothing "pure and simple" about all the assumptions and inferences you just made.

Let's see what adjustments are made and how things play out over the next few games...

There is nothing "pure and simple" about all the assumptions and inferences you just made.

Let's see what adjustments are made and how things play out over the next few games...

No kidding. There were systemic breakdowns on offense, across the board. In the zeal to throw somebody under the bus, I think that some posters are misunderstanding that both offensive and defensive execution have a lot of moving parts and require lots of things to work properly in tandem. Our OL struggled. Our QB struggled. The WR's struggled. And we weren't able to establish the running game as expected.

It wasn't pretty, and the play calling was disappointing. But pointing just at the OC / play calling is like focusing on the most obvious symptom while missing sight of the the systemic problem through the trees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom