Not so good | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not so good

No excuse for the amount of regression. There is an awful lot of papering over real problems. Pugh and Lemon didn't play vs NW last year and SU went for 596 yds last year.

Here is the receiving box score from the first game last year.
Syracuse

No.YdsTDLong
BROYLD, Ashton 4 28 0 9
SALES, Marcus 12 129 1 41
GULLEY, Prince-Tyson 7 46 0 11
KOBENA, Jeremiah 4 79 2 50
CLARK, Christopher 3 28 1 20
SMITH, Jerome 2 39 0 34
CUTLER, Carl 3 25 0 11
WALES, Beckett 6 49 0 17
WEST, Jarrod 4 59 0 33

Everyone but Sales and Carl Cutler played yesterday. Lemon didn't play in that game and yet Nassib managed to throw for 482 yds. Same running backs played in that game as this one.

Meh. Call it what you want. We end up at the same point: They need to get it together to match the very good D. And as you mentioned in another post shortly afterwords - NW defense looked pretty bad against Cal, and we took advantage of them last year. PSU D will finish in the top half of the B1G.

Let's see how the numbers compare in the next game - I'd bet the "amount of regression" is far less than what you think. And the reason will be the PSU D + 1st year OC/1st year QB in 1st game. I think Smith is going for 100 in this game.

Well...

It shouldn't surprise anyone, but Go's really setting the stage for more Marrone Man Crushing. Really funny how Marrone was given EVERY benefit of the doubt by Go, but Go expected a rock fight this weekend, got the rock fight he was looking for, and is taking the opportunity to voice how horrible said rock fight wise and how that reflects on our new OC.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

It's easy to see agendas where none exist when that's all you know.

One thing I have to admit, it was Chip that forecast a rock fight, I agreed with him, because I had been thinking the same thing, and said it would be a puntapalozza and first team to 20 wins.

Sure I was expecting a step back, who wouldn't with the opponent and the transition, but that performance way under performed expectations and the talent on the team.

Here's the point, they aren't starting from ground zero. I'm not expecting last years performance, because that would be unreasonable. I'm expecting 24pts a game on average, which is 6 less than last year. I don't think we sniff 40pts in a game this year and see more scores in the teens and low 20's then over 30.

Unlike you, I like to assess things based on reality and the totality of circumstances, not agendas. I don't want McDonald to fail, but I don't dub him a can't miss because he likes to use twitter. I believe in substance over style, unlike people who would rather see flashy losses than solid, if somewhat boring, wins.

Allen was much like a true freshman when it came to knowing what to expect from his receivers and they him. Yes, he has more experience but these guys have to work out their patterns when a defense is playing X Y or Z. This was more of a Hunt strength mostly because he's been there for 3 years now working with these guys. There is no doubt in my mind this offense is going to start clicking but it's just a matter of how soon.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

It's easy to see agendas where none exist when that's all you know.

One thing I have to admit, it was Chip that forecast a rock fight, I agreed with him, because I had been thinking the same thing, and said it would be a puntapalozza and first team to 20 wins.

Sure I was expecting a step back, who wouldn't with the opponent and the transition, but that performance way under performed expectations and the talent on the team.

Here's the point, they aren't starting from ground zero. I'm not expecting last years performance, because that would be unreasonable. I'm expecting 24pts a game on average, which is 6 less than last year. I don't think we sniff 40pts in a game this year and see more scores in the teens and low 20's then over 30.

Unlike you, I like to assess things based on reality and the totality of circumstances, not agendas. I don't want McDonald to fail, but I don't dub him a can't miss because he likes to use twitter. I believe in substance over style, unlike people who would rather see flashy losses than solid, if somewhat boring, wins.
If you like boring no flash offense, that's what he gave you

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If you like boring no flash offense, that's what he gave you

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I guess that's what the cool kids are into these days.

I'm not taking it to the extreme that kcsu and the guy you are addressing are, they have a track record for being over the top wrong, but there was a major issue from a coaching perspective.

I'm not buying the new, new, new, inexperienced argument or lack of talent.

Now Nwestern's defense last year vs PSU the other day is much different, I conceed that but...

OL, Hickey, Trudo, and Sweet Lou played their first games ever last year vs Nwestern. Three OL with zero gamesnaps. The same can't be said of Foy or Robinson, who both played last year. Pugh didn't play

Skill positions, as I noted above the only players unavailable for this game that were for the opener last year, Sales, David Stevens and Cutler. That's it. Lemon didn't play in that game.

I get Nassib vs Allen, but Allen is not a true freshmen, he's a fifth year senior, he has been coached at the highest levels, and he has all the physical attributes you want in a QB.

Saturday saw the lowest per play average (3.5) since Robinson was shown the door, second lowest net (1.9) and third lowest gross (3.16) yards per carry, 2nd lowest completion percentage (43.2).

This is not a complete rebuild on offense, but it was a complete regression to one of three worst performances since Robinson left.

Well, that's on you. Because the fact of the matter is that the talent [especially on offense] has been overstated and overvalued by many this off season.

You also overestimate the experiential factor. Sure, having game experience is better than not having it, but it is a far less important factor than talent. Foy isn't the same caliber of talent as Hickey. It doesn't matter how much experience he gains, he won't be as good of a player. Doesn't mean that he won't eventually become serviceable--maybe even better than that. But right now, he isn't nearly as productive of a lineman. Ditto Robinson compared to Chibane last year. Net result, there is an issue with the line being able to open holes and pick up the blitz.

I'm also really tired about hearing about all of the WR talent. We might have guys who are better athletes in some objective sense, but right now there isn't a WR who comes close to being as productive as either Lemon or Sales last season. We have a bunch of guys who are either completely inexperienced or don't have what it takes to be difference makers. I'd like to think that West can step up and be above average, that Kobena can be dynamic, that Cornelius can grow into a legitimate #1, that Estime will be a poor man's Tavon Austin, etc. But right now it looks like the entire unit is subpar. Lots of numbers, short on production.

And great--"Allen has all of the physical attributes you want in a QB." Awesome. That didn't prevent him from completing less than 50% of his passes, and sailing several balls 10 yards out of bounds over open WR's heads. Again, you overstate the experience factor. Not a bad thing, but it doesn't trump ability. Allen's a fifth year senior, same as Nassib last year, and yet it is very unlikely that he'll come anywhere close to replicating Nassib's senior year production. It is highly questionable whether he even has the chops to be a difference maker.

And we need him to be much better than he was on Saturday to have any chance of running a successful offense this season.

Talent produces on game day.

Reactions: 007
Well...

It shouldn't surprise anyone, but Go's really setting the stage for more Marrone Man Crushing. Really funny how Marrone was given EVERY benefit of the doubt by Go, but Go expected a rock fight this weekend, got the rock fight he was looking for, and is taking the opportunity to voice how horrible said rock fight wise and how that reflects on our new OC.

notsureifserious.jpg

same guys who think the giants can win without linebackers- think this wasnt a bad first game-

for the complete idiots who claim i am calling for his head- i said im not- but i dont expect morons to understand what ive posted
If that's what u took from that discussion a few weeks ago, and based on what I read here today, I'm going to ask you nicely...

Please go back to the Syracuse.com board.

Thank you.

If that's what u took from that discussion a few weeks ago, and based on what I read here today, I'm going to ask you nicely...

Please go back to the Syracuse.com board.

Thank you.
nope-

Well, that's on you. Because the fact of the matter is that the talent [especially on offense] has been overstated and overvalued by many this off season.

You also overestimate the experiential factor. Sure, having game experience is better than not having it, but it is a far less important factor than talent. Foy isn't the same caliber of talent as Hickey. It doesn't matter how much experience he gains, he won't be as good of a player. Doesn't mean that he won't eventually become serviceable--maybe even better than that. But right now, he isn't nearly as productive of a lineman. Ditto Robinson compared to Chibane last year. Net result, there is an issue with the line being able to open holes and pick up the blitz.

I'm also really tired about hearing about all of the WR talent. We might have guys who are better athletes in some objective sense, but right now there isn't a WR who comes close to being as productive as either Lemon or Sales last season. We have a bunch of guys who are either completely inexperienced or don't have what it takes to be difference makers. I'd like to think that West can step up and be above average, that Kobena can be dynamic, that Cornelius can grow into a legitimate #1, that Estime will be a poor man's Tavon Austin, etc. But right now it looks like the entire unit is subpar. Lots of numbers, short on production.

And great--"Allen has all of the physical attributes you want in a QB." Awesome. That didn't prevent him from completing less than 50% of his passes, and sailing several balls 10 yards out of bounds over open WR's heads. Again, you overstate the experience factor. Not a bad thing, but it doesn't trump ability. Allen's a fifth year senior, same as Nassib last year, and yet it is very unlikely that he'll come anywhere close to replicating Nassib's senior year production. It is highly questionable whether he even has the chops to be a difference maker.

And we need him to be much better than he was on Saturday to have any chance of running a successful offense this season.

Talent produces on game day.

I'm not overestimating anything. I've been pretty clear that I wasn't expecting them to pick up where they left off. But it's a long way from falling back to the middle of the pack vs what they showed Saturday.

same guys who think the giants can win without linebackers- think this wasnt a bad first game-

for the complete idiots who claim i am calling for his head- i said im not- but i dont expect morons to understand what ive posted

Can we at least agree that folks who disagree on this board are not necessarily idiots and morons? I think that would be a good way to maintain a reasonable discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom