Nova hasn't lost since we played them | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nova hasn't lost since we played them

It's sad we have to take pride in barely escaping at home against an undefeated FCS team.

Pride? Really? Nobody's happy with that game. Fact is they are headed towards the FCS championship game and it adds a little something to the season to watch them. I don't understand you 'Oh my god, not another Nova thread' or 'Oh my god, not another Rutgers thread'. My feeling on it is...'Oh my god, not another 'oh my god' post'. Based on what I saw Sat they could probably beat Wake and I'm guessing they'd beat the hell out of CMU as well. But guess what? Here's another fact. We played like crap. We know it. It wasn't a good game, we get it. Why does it bother you so that we are discussing the possibility that one of our opponents could end up with a very interesting story line?

Hey no disrespect to Nova, but if we are hanging our hat on beating them as a good win they we better re-evaluate ourselves as a program. That game was an absolute disgrace. No reason we shouldn't win that game by 3 td's.

You have to be impressed that they went into William & Mary on homecoming at got the W. I have a lot of William & Mary grad friends (seriously). I've been down there for that homecoming. It can be extremely intimidating to play a game when all of the students and alums stay out in the parking lots tailgating the whole time.

Can't remember the year I went, but right before kickoff, I remember asking "are we actually going in to the game?", only to hear "oh God no, just keep drinking".

Good time nonetheless.

Hey no disrespect to Nova, but if we are hanging our hat on beating them as a good win they we better re-evaluate ourselves as a program. That game was an absolute disgrace. No reason we shouldn't win that game by 3 td's.

Nobody's hanging their hat on it. Fact is the game means nothing at this point, if we get to 6 and go bowling then nobody cares how we played in that game. If we don't then everyone will point to much larger losses as the reason. I just don't get the angst from us talking about them possible going to the FCS championship. They are killing people at their own level. It's interesting because we saw them in front of our own eyes. Nobody's running around after a loss and saying but but but we beat Nova.

Serious question:

If you put Nova in the AAC, where would they finish? Obviously, ECU is above everyone else in that conference, and UCF is good...but after that, who else is finishing ahead of Nova in the standings? Maybe Houston?

I think even in the AAC there lack of scholarships and depth would start to wear them down by about this point in the schedule. Teams like Cincy, Houston, even South Florida would give these guys fits in the second half of the season once injuries and attrition take old. I think SMU, Uconn, Tulsa etc would definitely lose to Nova but over the course of an entire year a D1 schedule would gradually wear them down.

Nobody's hanging their hat on it. Fact is the game means nothing at this point, if we get to 6 and go bowling then nobody cares how we played in that game. If we don't then everyone will point to much larger losses as the reason. I just don't get the angst from us talking about them possible going to the FCS championship. They are killing people at their own level. It's interesting because we saw them in front of our own eyes. Nobody's running around after a loss and saying but but but we beat Nova.

Ok fine we are justifying our pathetic performance against them. Just as bad.

You may not be hanging your hat on it, but I think some people are. I apologize for having an opinion, but I'm not going to point to Villanova's FCS success anymore than I will to our ability to out gain Maryland by 200 yards and still lose by two touchdowns.

If Notre Dame were to have played North Dakota State in the first game of the season and Golson got knocked out of the game , for whatever reason , Notre Dame would lose .

Respectfully, wholeheartedly 100% disagree with this.

Villanova kicked our butts.

The Wildcats deserved that game.

That is a heck of a team - well coached and tough as nails.

Rocco said:
Respectfully, wholeheartedly 100% disagree with this.

They didn't have a good enough kicker to win the game and we had Riley Dixon and the guts to run that play to win - what am I missing.

I was more disgusted when we won on that bad FG vs that Mac team (Toledo?)

anomander said:
Ok fine we are justifying our pathetic performance against them. Just as bad.

They will finish well above Wake in the Sagarin Ratings.

wish fourm could stop talking about this stupid nova game but if we play them 10 times we beat them 7... Therefore we are the better team and also walked away with a win when we played like crap.
We play them 10 times we beat them 10 times. I wish people would stop trying to justify that win into something good. It wasn't. It was pitiful and had much more to do with SU's poor performance than a quality performance by Nova. Losses against FCS schools get coaches fired. Shafer dodged a bullet.

cuseincincy said:
We play them 10 times we beat them 10 times. I wish people would stop trying to justify that win into something good. It wasn't. It was pitiful and had much more to do with SU's poor performance than a quality performance by Nova. Losses against FCS schools get coaches fired. Shafer dodged a bullet.

Only by perception. If we'd lost to Nova it would be akin to losing to Rutgers or Tulane last season. Not good - but the FCS label makes it seem worse than it is.

A win is a win the counts towards bowl eligibility. If you want to give that up because it wasn't pretty enough, then be my guest. I'll take an ugly win over a good loss anyday.

Only by perception. If we'd lost to Nova it would be akin to losing to Rutgers or Tulane last season. Not good - but the FCS label makes it seem worse than it is.

A win is a win the counts towards bowl eligibility. If you want to give that up because it wasn't pretty enough, then be my guest. I'll take an ugly win over a good loss anyday.
No way. Losing to FCs is terrible. We've beaten nova, Cmu and wake...this has been a disaster. Hopefully Saturday is diff.

AZOrange said:
No way. Losing to FCs is terrible. We've beaten nova, Cmu and wake...this has been a disaster. Hopefully Saturday is diff.

I wouldn't call it a disaster. We might be 4-3 now instead of 3-4.

We lost to 4 pretty good teams, two of which are of elite status.

Louisville can play with just about anyone and Maryland is having a good year.

It'll be a disaster if we don't get at least a split against NC State and Duke.

The NC State game is huge.

I wouldn't call it a disaster. We might be 4-3 now instead of 3-4.

We lost to 4 pretty good teams, two of which are of elite status.

Louisville can play with just about anyone and Maryland is having a good year.

It'll be a disaster if we don't get at least a split against NC State and Duke.

The NC State game is huge.
Not being bowl eligible in bcs is a disaster. I can't see a 3-1 finish after Clemson.

AZOrange said:
Not being bowl eligible in bcs is a disaster. I can't see a 3-1 finish after Clemson.

To be honest, neither can I.

But it'll likely be a result of the Maryland loss.

That was the disaster.

We need to schedule better.

They have won every game except one by at least 18 points. I'd love to see them play North Dakota State for the FCS title - I'd definitely tune in for that.
The take away is that we won a game in which we played poorly, in which our starting QB got thrown 0ut, and against a decent team. Our worst was still good enough to win, which is not something to be proud of, but certainly not something to be grossly embarrassed about.

AZOrange said:

It is terrible. But losing in general is terrible. If you go by sagarin, it's like losing to an AAC or bottom p5 like Wake. The perception hit is magnified due to the FCS label.

To be honest, neither can I.

But it'll likely be a result of the Maryland loss.

That was the disaster.

We need to schedule better.
I mean how? They have to play so many conf games...

Is there a ranking on SOS regarding games already played but not future games for 2014? Once SU plays Clemson there HAS to be some kind of credit for playing the teams they have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom