Now that the dust has settled | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Now that the dust has settled

You aren't looking hard enough. We will be a different team as the season unfolds. We still need to beat CMU and MD to get to 3-0.
Really? In the reg season? They have to win every game outside our big 4 games.

They read this board and figured that people predicting 40+ point stompings knew what they were talking about.

Hell I wish I had a dollar for every time I read ... well we can get to 3-0 and then that ND game and then you never know ... everyone and I mean everyone had a 3-0 start out there for the most part. I'm guilty of it too ... very easy to look past Nova when everyone is saying we over schedule and lets get some more FCS types in here ... well we got what we wanted.

Hell I wish I had a dollar for every time I read ... well we can get to 3-0 and then that ND game and then you never know ... everyone and I mean everyone had a 3-0 start out there for the most part. I'm guilty of it too ... very easy to look past Nova when everyone is saying we over schedule and lets get some more FCS types in here ... well we got what we wanted.
Look I like being positive about our programs but you never know against ND? I might close my eyes for that game.

I'm actually thankful that Nova was our 1st game or else it almost certainly would have been a loss. At least by scheduling an inferior team talent wise we can get a W.

Personally I felt we would roll against Nova and CMU since we are far more talented. Maryland on the other hand I have been extremely worried about from the start. They will have just as much, if not more talent then us, and unless we improve drastically from Friday we will not win. I'd bet there's a good chance we open up as an underdog in that game.

Look I like being positive about our programs but you never know against ND? I might close my eyes for that game.

If you read this board that was stated literally a 100 times before the season started ... at least. Many felt we would go 3-0 and have a shot against ND. Not saying this is the case now but preseason that was said often.

If you read this board that was stated literally a 100 times before the season started ... at least. Many felt we would go 3-0 and have a shot against ND. Not saying this is the case now but preseason that was said often.
No, I know...I was just, sort of, mocking the point, now that we've seen both teams play.

I think villanova is a better team than rice getter a better sense of nd in the next 2 games

Step off the ledge. Let the season play out a few games before making blanket assessments about the team and coaching staff. It was one game and a very strange one at that. Of course I am not oblivious to the issues from last nights game. I was there and we look real slow without a lot of big hitters. Offensively, its the same song and dance. We didnt stretch the field and its harder to run without a legit deep passing game. The OL obviosly had issues although much could be attributed to key injuries. Some people are just going way to far with the sky is falling assessments. We havent immediately dropped below our peer schools because of last night. Btw, getting the win while in the jaws of a loss was huge and can't be understated. We can still go 3-0 and this game will be forgotten nationally if it hasn't already been forgotten today with all the underdogs hanging in games including FCS teams.

In my reality being at the game with my two sons (ages 9 and 7) who don't understand fully that Villanova is a level below SU, it was an unbelievable game to watch and they are hooked for good now. The excitement in the Dome was pretty electric at times. I couldnt wrap my brain around how we won until the ride home. I know a loss would've been crippling to the season. We got two weeks and our starting QB back to fix it and move on. As Al Davis is often quoted as saying, "Just win baby. "
Your opening statement sounds like a lyric to a Third Eye Blind song lol

Pitt pummels Deleware, another good FCS program, 62-0. That is how you take care of business. Pitt was my sleeper pick to win the Coastal.
And 2 years ago Pitt lost to Youngstown State... what's the point? Syracuse played awful, led the entire game, played without their starting QB for more than half the game, gave up a punt return TD, and still won the game. It was ugly, no doubt, but I think many of the comments are way over the top.

My guess is that if Hunt stays in the game we would have seen a much different result, but we'll never know now will we.

Seriously? Let me refresh your memory...
Nova was driving and had the ball on our 15, 2nd down & 7, with SU clinging to a 7-0 lead. Nova had to call a TO. When play resumed, Bullough obviously didn't like the defensive scheme or personnel based on what the Wildcats showed us, and called a TO to make the necessary adjustments. It was a big play - why wouldn't you use one of your TOs in that situation?
And for the record, on the ensuing play Robertson threw an incomplete pass., and then Nova missed a FG.

3rd and 9, all the same I suppose but they had to use a timeout because our guys couldn't figure out who was supposed to be guarding who. They came out in a little bit of a different formation but the exact same personnel (4wr, 1 RB and had 2 WR on both sides instead of trips). Wasn't like they had completely different personnel on the field. Secondly, they called the timeout because the players weren't sure who they were supposed to be guarding and we were pointing everywhere. Schafer reluctantly used the timeout because of this disorganization and because the slot guy on the left side of the formation was completely uncovered. So we use a timeout coming out of a timeout due to player confusion. We come out of the timeout with the exact same formation we went into the timeout with but only flipped. And on the ensuing play, Roberson threw and incompletion to a guy wide open running a slant who just dropped it without any contact right off his chest.

3rd and 9, all the same I suppose but they had to use a timeout because our guys couldn't figure out who was supposed to be guarding who. They came out in a little bit of a different formation but the exact same personnel (4wr, 1 RB and had 2 WR on both sides instead of trips). Wasn't like they had completely different personnel on the field. Secondly, they called the timeout because the players weren't sure who they were supposed to be guarding and we were pointing everywhere. Schafer reluctantly used the timeout because of this disorganization and because the slot guy on the left side of the formation was completely uncovered. So we use a timeout coming out of a timeout due to player confusion. We come out of the timeout with the exact same formation we went into the timeout with but only flipped. And on the ensuing play, Roberson threw and incompletion to a guy wide open running a slant who just dropped it without any contact right off his chest.

Sorry, I'm not buying it. Nova obviously came out of their TO with a look we weren't expecting or lined-up properly for. It happens in the NFL all the time. The DC tries to anticipate what the opposing team is going to do, but they can't be right all the time. Spending a TO deep in your own territory with the opposing team driving is preferable to giving up a long play (or TD). As it turned out, we ended the half taking 2 to the locker room and losing them. I view it as a TO well invested.

I wish we were playing tomorrow just to change the conversation. It's been unbearable.

People must think last season was a mirage and that the coaches forgot how to coach and the players forgot how to play.

Nova last season was better than Tulane, Rutgers, UCONN, and Virginia. It was a disappointing performance - but the ship will be righted. I trust Shafer and Hunt.

I wish we were playing tomorrow just to change the conversation. It's been unbearable.

People must think last season was a mirage and that the coaches forgot how to coach and the players forgot how to play.

Nova last season was better than Tulane, Rutgers, UCONN, and Virginia. It was a disappointing performance - but the ship will be righted. I trust Shafer and Hunt.

Such is the instant gratification, what have you done for me lately society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom