NY Post jumping on the UAlbany bandwagon | Syracusefan.com

NY Post jumping on the UAlbany bandwagon

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Hopefully Desko has read this article and in particular this quote: “I absolutely love Coach Marr,” said Stone Sims, a senior from San Clemente, Calif. “He’s the main reason I came here. There’s no lacrosse at this level in California and decided to experience Upstate New York.”

https://nypost.com/2018/03/27/unbeaten-albany-lacrosse-feels-special-season-has-just-begun/

Marr has done a great job at Albany espcially when you consider the fact that most of the guys he has who are starters and even the stars like Fields didn't have many other high end offers besides Albany. I have mentioend this before but while Albany has done a great job it really hasn't come at the expense of SU in recruiting. Outside of Nanticoke and maybe 1 or 2 others I can't think of a guy both teams recruited/offered and Albany beat out SU. Fields, Ierlan (mistake for sure), Patterson, Colarusso, the Eccles never ending family,Stone Sims, Reh etc none of these guys had SU offers or really other high end D1 offers to be honest. Fields and Ierlans only major D1 offers were Albany I believe though Ierlan did visit SU and a couple of other schools. Marr has done a great job turning kids no one else really wanted it to all-american types. The question now is really two fold - 1. Can he keep it going and 2. Can a major program lure him away.

Id say probably not on #2 unless Hopkins came calling. As for #1 I think thats a little more debatable. His recruiting has amped up big time especially with natives and in CNY (Albany has two LSMs coming out of the area the Caz and Liverpool kid over the next few years both good players) but I would pump the brakes a little bit. Albany right now has a very good Senior class and a legend at the X in Ierlan. They lose a ton to graduation this year and while Ierlan is unbelievable its unlikely he will be able to maintain this dominance all 4 year as just about every elite faceoff guy has broken down from over use by their senior year. They bring in another good class next year but over the next 2 years there losing a lot of key players to graduation especially this year.

Pumping the brakes is something many of the locals around here are having a hard time doing. They have done great things but zero FF's. If they don't get there this year that's a problem for them.

Marr has done a great job at Albany espcially when you consider the fact that most of the guys he has who are starters and even the stars like Fields didn't have many other high end offers besides Albany. I have mentioend this before but while Albany has done a great job it really hasn't come at the expense of SU in recruiting. Outside of Nanticoke and maybe 1 or 2 others I can't think of a guy both teams recruited/offered and Albany beat out SU. Fields, Ierlan (mistake for sure), Patterson, Colarusso, the Eccles never ending family,Stone Sims, Reh etc none of these guys had SU offers or really other high end D1 offers to be honest. Fields and Ierlans only major D1 offers were Albany I believe though Ierlan did visit SU and a couple of other schools. Marr has done a great job turning kids no one else really wanted it to all-american types. The question now is really two fold - 1. Can he keep it going and 2. Can a major program lure him away.

Id say probably not on #2 unless Hopkins came calling. As for #1 I think thats a little more debatable. His recruiting has amped up big time especially with natives and in CNY (Albany has two LSMs coming out of the area the Caz and Liverpool kid over the next few years both good players) but I would pump the brakes a little bit. Albany right now has a very good Senior class and a legend at the X in Ierlan. They lose a ton to graduation this year and while Ierlan is unbelievable its unlikely he will be able to maintain this dominance all 4 year as just about every elite faceoff guy has broken down from over use by their senior year. They bring in another good class next year but over the next 2 years there losing a lot of key players to graduation especially this year.

Pumping the brakes is something many of the locals around here are having a hard time doing. They have done great things but zero FF's. If they don't get there this year that's a problem for them.

Syracuse's lack of post-season success the last 5+ years is well documented, trust me the natives are restless.

Syracuse's lack of post-season success the last 5+ years is well documented, trust me the natives are restless.
The Staats kid would really be a badlly-needed recruiting boost. Not because we're not getting other good kids (we are). But to restore us with the native american recruits. We should be dominant with OCC. With all the parity in LAX these days, I hate hearing that we're getting outworked by Marr for upstate NY recruits. That should never happen.

The Staats kid would really be a badlly-needed recruiting boost. Not because we're not getting other good kids (we are). But to restore us with the native american recruits. We should be dominant with OCC. With all the parity in LAX these days, I hate hearing that we're getting outworked by Marr for upstate NY recruits. That should never happen.

Marr's in deep with the native players currently no doubt but he's not getting all of them. SU has the Bomberry's, Lauder, and had another native player who decommitted for Loyola last year. They have Owen Hill coming in next year as well who is a native player. SU's recruiting class this year and next are dame good classes but young players take time to acclimate to D1 especially high end D1. Your seeing this year how slowly but surely the lights coming on for guys like Dordevic, Curry, Kennedy, Dami etc etc. Staats would be a huge get because he is a once a decade type of talent. I think it would probably help with Native players as well but its alwasy going to be difficult to recruit Native players with Albany and Denver around. SU has done a good job mining OCC but they have been down the past few years with high end talent this current soph class though definitely has multiple D1 guys.

What it proves to me Jeremy is that Marr and his staff are excellent at identifying talent and excellent at developing that talent.

They lose like 10 players including Caloruso but they return a bunch of talent that's also getting good experience.

Could not see him leaving. He's been at UAlbany for almost 20 years and now has a great thing going at a NY State school. Built a program. What could be better and why start over? Hopkins maybe but I'm not sure he'd follow Petro (his friend and teammate) and at age 52 or so when his kid is gone? He's from NY (Yorktown), his entire family is in NY. His kid still comes home on breaks etc.

The lax community out here is behind him 100%, actually amazing to see. Kids want to play there.

Last edited:

Those are two interesting questions.

Can a major program lure him away? I think you hit the nail on the head with Hopkins being one of two jobs he would seriously consider - the other being Maryland (but Tillman isn't going anywhere). Marr seems like a different kind of dude - I don't think he's motivated by money and he seems to really love his players and his program. Probably a moot point for now as he has a daughter on the UAlbany woman's lacrosse team who is only a sophomore so I don't see him leaving anytime soon.

The recruiting question is more interesting. Take Fields for example - it's true he had no other D1 offers when he committed (2012), but that was in the days of early when he was an undersized high school sophomore. By the time he was rewriting the HS scoring record as a junior/senior the big time programs had already filled their spots (that's how Rob Pannell ended up at Cornell). I think Marr's great strength as a coach is being able to identify and develop young talent - he's among the best in the business. So I think where he will be challenged in years to come is not being able to go after those overlooked kids until junior year when more schools are likely to be in the mix. The one thing he's proved is that you can provide your program with a solid base by bringing in a lot of Upstate NY kids. Even with all the kids leaving for prep schools, the talent level in NY is still among the best.

I meant Albany's lack of post season success. Tough being a SU lax fan in and around Albany these days.

OMG! Rupert found out about lacrosse? Will wonders ever cease?

On 02/16/2019 Albany will fall to 2-16 all time vs Cuse and Marr's landing could be rough. They better reach FF this year because we return to prominence rather quickly

I meant Albany's lack of post season success. Tough being a SU lax fan in and around Albany these days.

Sorry I read your post quickly and got confused. Couldn't agree more about Albany's lack of post-season success, they have blown some really good opportunties especially that Lyle Thompson Jr. year team. Albany's lack of defense and a faceoff guy I think really hurt them in the Thompsons years and the first season after. If they don't at least reach the finals this year I think that would be a crushing blow.

New recruiting strategy for SU's staff: attend more camps and tournaments and hs lax games, take notes, compare notes with Marr's staff, and when there is some difference of opinion defer to UA's evaluations and recruit whomever they are recruiting.

OK, maybe not entirely fair to Desko and staff but our guys have made some spectacularly bad recruiting decisions in the last 5 or 6 years.

And if Syracuse University would lower its' tuition from $45,000 to $10,000 for an in-state resident, that would really be helpful.

Yep. I wonder how many recruiting “misses” have been SU not able to compete on a cost level regardless of percent scholarship offered.

I don’t see Marr leaving Albany. He’s got a leg up on competition due to cheaper tuition and doesn’t have as strict admissions standards as an Ivy or JHU.

On 02/16/2019 Albany will fall to 2-16 all time vs Cuse and Marr's landing could be rough. They better reach FF this year because we return to prominence rather quickly

Unless it happens in May, 2018...

The Orange are not the same team they were early in the season. They are making vast dtrides and if the defense continues improvement, Albany may have already peaked.