OC Rumors | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

OC Rumors

Pointless to install a new offense now. It will take 18 months for us to see the results at the earliest. He doesn't have that kind of time. An up and comer is not coming and not recommended. Give me an old guy who's seen it all.
Not an original thought and it may have already been shot down but Dino takes over as OC and lure Cutcliffe up here for a year or 2 as QB Coach/Co-OC.

Pointless to install a new offense now. It will take 18 months for us to see the results at the earliest. He doesn't have that kind of time. An up and comer is not coming and not recommended. Give me an old guy who's seen it all.

DB said it would take that long just to start getting comfortable with his system. 6 years later and the players still don’t even know the routes or who blocking assignments, the system is so complex. So yeah, we probably aren’t installing a new system.

DB said it would take that long just to start getting comfortable with his system. 6 years later and the players still don’t even know the routes or who blocking assignments, the system is so complex. So yeah, we probably aren’t installing a new system.
Dino has said publically that the offense is "evolving" and will continue to evolve. The new OC will be charged with QB development and implementing a more refined passing game. That will be combined with what they are already doing with the running game.

I don't think the intent to move to a new OC is to bring in a new offense.

Dino has said publically that the offense is "evolving" and will continue to evolve. The new OC will be charged with QB development and implementing a more refined passing game. That will be combined with what they are already doing with the running game.

Think that’s pretty much what I said at the bottom of my post. We aren’t installing a new offense.

Think that’s pretty much what I said at the bottom of my post. We aren’t installing a new offense.
My reply was more about the reason you stated as to why we won't be installing a new offense.

Not an original thought and it may have already been shot down but Dino takes over as OC and lure Cutcliffe up here for a year or 2 as QB Coach/Co-OC.

It would have to depend on whether it was a forced retirement or mutual one. If it was forced, there's an opportunity. But if he is looking for work, he could also probably go somewhere better as a consultant for a little less money and far less agro. I would look for guys who either were OCs in the past and have been bumped down or guys who were pushed out of coaching and are still looking for work. I thought a guy like Sumlin might be perfect but someone on here said he and Babers never overlapped at TAMU so it may be that there's no relationship there.

If you read the profiles of assistant coaches, they typically emphasize the performance of their units (e.g., "finished 2nd in the B10 in rushing defense in 2019") and the notable players they have coached. Both of these resume-builders are not only possible at Syracuse, but given our recent offensive struggles, let's just say there is a LOT of room for us to show improvement. And as someone else pointed out, coaching an All-American (and potential Heisman candidate) would be a nice feather in someone's cap.

You gotta think we have one picked now and just waiting for a bowl game to finish up?
Hopefully after early signing day if it’s someone currently on another staff.

Certainly makes sense to discuss what options are available for filling our OC slot. Stating Dino is a professional procrastinator is the equivalent of click bait. No basis for stating that in any way. If there is I would like to hear facts behind it to support the position. Maybe an announcement comes Monday, maybe the coach has been selected and the coach is playing the bowl because he is not leaving his prior team in a bad spot. Just because a coach bails on their team, doesn't make it the right thing to do. No I am not a Dino fan, I just believe there's a difference between fair criticism and people just being bitchy.
Try him needing multiple TOs many after media TOs because he cant make up his mind. Or not knowing who to start at QB an hour before the game i could go on and obviously we wont agree. Suffice to say i dont think he does well under pressure.

Evolving. Now there's a nice way to put it.

Evolving. Now there's a nice way to put it.
Yeah, not necessarily my term, that's why it's in quotes. But, I do recognize the shift I witnessed this year on offense, and last year on defense. Dino has no choice but to adapt. And I see a man trying to do that.

Whether it will be enough or whether it will be successful is a different debate. Given your repeated comments on his character, I'm not convinced you will ever see the difference.

Try him needing multiple TOs many after media TOs because he cant make up his mind. Or not knowing who to start at QB an hour before the game i could go on and obviously we wont agree. Suffice to say i dont think he does well under pressure.
Needing multiple TOs after media TOs? I recall that happening once. Not knowing who to start an hour before the game? How do you know what he did know or didn't know about his decisions to start or not start players? I will help you, you don't. Both GS and TD shared snaps that week and an article stated at the end of the week he sat both players down and explained his decision. Is it hard to believe that given the poor start with TD and watching Liberty film he decided to pull the trigger finally on a decision? You call Dino things constantly with negative connotations. If you want to say game management has been poor, that's fair. If you want to say communication between the OC and the field has been a problem, absolutely fair. If you want to say Dino has seemingly been inconsistent in his decisions on 4th down, absolutely those are fair. When you say he doesn't have mental capacity that is out of bounds. When you say he is a professional procrastinator and you have no examples it's just not true. Again I am ready for a coaching change, this has nothing to do with liking Dino, this has everything to do with you seemingly having a very personal issue with Dino that goes well beyond fair coaching criticism. You make it personal KCSU and that's why you and I won't agree on your comments.

Yeah, not necessarily my term, that's why it's in quotes. But, I do recognize the shift I witnessed this year on offense, and last year on defense. Dino has no choice but to adapt. And I see a man trying to do that.

Whether it will be enough or whether it will be successful is a different debate. Given your repeated comments on his character, I'm not convinced you will ever see the difference.
After 6 years i need glasses:)
Im hopeful he pulls it out as im sure he is a good person and he runs a clean program.

Why would we do that? Seems like no other program is waiting for bowls to finish or early signing period. They are getting g the coach in place to help their team with recruiting. I was a big DB fan when he was hired. Now I’m just done. I just do not think DB can fix the problems and we will flounder another year until he is replaced. Probably a good reason we do not have an oc in place yet.
Many Coaches don't announce they are leaving until after signing day to keep the class together. Then they leave. Part of the reason for the transfer portal and kids not having to sit a year. Also coaches don't always announce they are leaving before a bowl. They want the kids to focus on the bowl game, not that the coach is leaving and then what may happen.

This.

... It will be late in the cycle when the musical chairs stop and new oc announced. Portal and JC transfers will have have been thinned out, and the hire will not be very inspiring. It's what happens when you extend a struggling HC into a lame duck year 7.

Expecting an FCS journeyman type on the tail end of his career.. Will be right price for what we"re looking to spend year 7 and guy will like swan songing his career at and FBS P5 school, bucket list checked.

Hope I am wrong and we get someone more dynamic, of course.

The Ligashesky hire was a quality hire, but getting a quality OC is significantly more challenging in our scenario methinks.
I think your take is making sense!

Needing multiple TOs after media TOs? I recall that happening once. Not knowing who to start an hour before the game? How do you know what he did know or didn't know about his decisions to start or not start players? I will help you, you don't. Both GS and TD shared snaps that week and an article stated at the end of the week he sat both players down and explained his decision. Is it hard to believe that given the poor start with TD and watching Liberty film he decided to pull the trigger finally on a decision? You call Dino things constantly with negative connotations. If you want to say game management has been poor, that's fair. If you want to say communication between the OC and the field has been a problem, absolutely fair. If you want to say Dino has seemingly been inconsistent in his decisions on 4th down, absolutely those are fair. When you say he doesn't have mental capacity that is out of bounds. When you say he is a professional procrastinator and you have no examples it's just not true. Again I am ready for a coaching change, this has nothing to do with liking Dino, this has everything to do with you seemingly having a very personal issue with Dino that goes well beyond fair coaching criticism. You make it personal KCSU and that's why you and I won't agree on your comments.
Lets start a new thread.

Provide your thoughts on why Dino should be retained.
Why are you behind him vs making a change.
I have my reasons for wanting to replace him.
What are your reasons for wanting to retain him?

Lets start a new thread.

Six years and one winning season. Is there really more to say.

Lets start a new thread.

What the hell is the point of that? He’s being retained. And we all know the reasons why he should have been replaced but that ship has sailed.

What is going to happen now is going to happen. When the OC gets hired, the OC gets hired. We’re all victims of circumstance now. Sitting around here daily and beating a dead horse doesn’t do anyone any good.

Lets start a new thread.

See you don't even read do you KCSU? If you did you would see that I already said I am ready to move on from Dino in my response to you earlier and don't think he should be retained. Further don't change the subject. I made it clear that fair criticism is totally fine and just personal attacks are not.

not a snowballs chance in hell. Cutcliffe would have zero interest in this.

Last edited:
Surprised we haven’t heard any rumors curious if it’s either we have hired someone and they want to wait til after there bowl or we are still searching. This hire is crucial so I’m in no way hating on the wait ……… but darn it things are getting stale around here lol

Surprised we haven’t heard any rumors curious if it’s either we have hired someone and they want to wait til after there bowl or we are still searching. This hire is crucial so I’m in no way hating on the wait ……… but darn it things are getting stale around here lol

We’re waiting for after signing day and after the bowl games out of respect, then hope to have some interviews lined up at the coaches convention. It’s like a job fair, when employers interview everyone who walks in off the street. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom