Offensive line | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Offensive line

Again, 4-2-5 is base personnel against typical spread sets and offenses. Anytime opponent has 10 personnel on the field, you want to be in a nickel (5 db) set. We ran base nickel under Shafer with a converted wide receiver penciled in as a linebacker (D. Davis). Nothing new here guys, just nomenclature.
I agree it's nomenclature, but I like having 3 legit. LB's in the game, even if the 3d basically functions as a DB. If you have the luxury of guys like Shy and Richards that can run, hit and cover, why not? I'm not sold on Armstrong. He has experience and this staff is conservative about playing new guys. OTOH ... I wouldn't be surprised this fall (or a few games into the season) to see TR at the Mike, Shy at SAM and one of the January studs at Will. There's A LOT of talent in the pipeline at LB and talent has a way of finding the field.

Agree that the linebacking prospects have some promise with Shy, Armstrong, T. Richards as the front runners for the bulk of the playing time/snaps. Nice mix of experience and athleticism.

Back to the offensive line, have enjoyed all of the different spellings of Carlos Vettorello’s last name;-). Sounds like there is some confidence that he’s in the mix, smaller than a typical tackle, right? Listed at 6’4 280, obviously would expect him to put on some weight. Would be great if he is a surprise, early playing time OLine mainstay (given that we thought we lost “that guy” in his fellow Michigan product Sampson).

Question: is Patrick Davis primarily a guard or tackle?

What’s the buzz for each of these tackle prospects:

Mike Clark- I remember being very impressed with his HS highlights. Seemed to move well for a taller lineman.

Qadir White- how has his body transformation gone, 6 months in?

Vettorello- was he consistently running with the second team?

Patrick Davis

Are there realistic other options on the roster (presuming that Servais moves out to one of the Tackle spots given the reports of his acclimation there last spring)?

Fun to speculate, obviously lots of time for the cream to rise!
I think P.Davis is supposed to be a Tackle. Body shape looks a little more like a guard, at the moment, but plenty of time to fix that.

Pics show Q repping at Guard.

Was Clark's name on the 2 deep for Tackles this year?

Shifting Servais to Tackle will move the teams best center to the edge, with the possibility of softening the middle just a touch.

Then there is Vet, Froumy, Tisdale, Bergeron. Tisdale with the most experience, but only 2 months to learn the system.

Makes sense the staff would like an experienced grad Tackle. It could keep Servais at C, and the strongest line, while giving more time for the under belly. But as you say, still plenty of time for the cream to rise.

I think P.Davis is supposed to be a Tackle. Body shape looks a little more like a guard, at the moment, but plenty of time to fix that.

Shifting Servais to Tackle will move the teams best center to the edge, with the possibility of softening the middle just a touch.

Then there is Vet, Froumy, Tisdale, Bergeron. Tisdale with the most experience, but only 2 months to learn the system.

Makes sense the staff would like an experienced grad Tackle. It could keep Servais at C, and the strongest line, while giving more time for the under belly. But as you say, still plenty of time for the cream to rise.
Almost positive they was servais out there as in spring practice I heard he killed it. It was at rt but it’s not a big switch to lt.

Clark started last spring practice with the first unit at RT, but didn't hang onto the role.

He'll be a fourth year junior this year -- will be interesting to see if he can somehow crack the two deep. Now or never.

Right now, it looks like we'll be entering spring practice with the two Davises and Heckel penciled in to fill our three open slots. If Heckel starts, then I'd expect Servais to move.

Clark started last spring practice with the first unit at RT, but didn't hang onto the role.

He'll be a fourth year junior this year -- will be interesting to see if he can somehow crack the two deep. Now or never.

Right now, it looks like we'll be entering spring practice with the two Davises and Heckel penciled in to fill our three open slots. If Heckel starts, then I'd expect Servais to move.
I think Clark got hurt and then the addition of Koda slid Servais back inside.

If I remember correctly, center is Heckel's "natural" position so moving Servais to tackle might not weaken the C position.

not sure which is better having a solid C and have issues at tackle or a solid tackle and issues at center?

Somethings you can help with more at center, but if its getting blown up the offense will not function..

still in this offense you need to control the edge rush and Servais might have NFL tackle skills, he will not be an NFL center.

no doubt we see spring ball try alot of things.

Servais killed it at RT in the spring. While he may be the best option at Tackle, have to think he's also the best Center.

Game experience is a factor, and we have no meaningful tackle snaps.

If Clark was injured, I don't recall him regaining a 2T spot, but we all know the depth chart isnt always quite right.

Without a grad transfer, my guess would be :
LT Servais
LG D Davis
C Heckel
RG Adams
RT ?

With a grad, Servais back to C, or RT. Heckel to LG, with D.Davis spelling the G position like Heckel did this year. Again, questions at Tackle, but more depth, and a little more comfortable.

Here is to hoping Q has turned into a gym junkie. P.Davis from what I have read is a mauler. I like him at Guard if so. We need our backs getting to the second level, one mauler in the middle of our line helps that objective paired with a decent returning Heckel. If we can get Heckel back healthy and Servais out at tackle, then there is some good potential there. Hopefully our Juco learns fast.

Again our line this past season was good, relative to the prior season but we have a ways to go I think before we view that as a team strength. I am pretty excited about our oline coach being in year 2. Hopefully we start seeing his influence on line development even more than this past season.

Heard D Davis was a Mauler. Be great if P.Davis was too. With limited media, it's all a guess.

Only a few line clips from CWB practice. Only ones since August. Think these are P.Davis/Froumy with #13 at QB. No idea on RB.

Bailey's second one

Steve Infanti on Twitter

Sucks we can't watch them all.

Last edited:
Servais killed it at RT in the spring. While he may be the best option at Tackle, have to think he's also the best Center.

Game experience is a factor, and we have no meaningful tackle snaps.

If Clark was injured, I don't recall him regaining a 2T spot, but we all know the depth chart isnt always quite right.

Without a grad transfer, my guess would be :
LT Servais
LG D Davis
C Heckel
RG Adams
RT ?

With a grad, Servais back to C, or RT. Heckel to LG, with D.Davis spelling the G position like Heckel did this year. Again, questions at Tackle, but more depth, and a little more comfortable.

I think the four you listed are locks for the pre-spring depth chart. RT will be battle between P. Davis, Froumy, Vet, and Clark. I think the depth chart will be Davis or Vet at RT to start the spring and that will continue into summer Tisdale coming in the summer hurts his ability to contribute right away — he’s not Koda with SEC starts under his belt. We probably won’t have a locked in starter there until Week 1. My prediction: Vet so long as he can add 20 pounds. True freshman don’t make the two deep for no reason.

The two big questions on this roster are obviously on the offensive line (If Servais stays at center, then just tackle) and at linebacker. To be perfectly honest, I am not all that apprehensive about either unit. Out of the Davis's, Tisdale, Vettorello and Clark I tend to think we will find two guys who can complement the three solid pieces we have in there already. Both of the Davis boys are absolutely massive, and Dakotah did apparently get some first team reps in the spring at right guard. As for linebacker, we have proven that a JUCO guy can come in and succeed after a year in the system with Guthrie, and Lakiem Williams may prove similar. Between Williams, Richards and Armstrong, not to mention the 3 stud freshmen, we can find 2 guys to plug in alongside Shy.

I think the four you listed are locks for the pre-spring depth chart. RT will be battle between P. Davis, Froumy, Vet, and Clark. I think the depth chart will be Davis or Vet at RT to start the spring and that will continue into summer Tisdale coming in the summer hurts his ability to contribute right away — he’s not Koda with SEC starts under his belt. We probably won’t have a locked in starter there until Week 1. My prediction: Vet so long as he can add 20 pounds. True freshman don’t make the two deep for no reason.
Yepp. Even though I think Servais will be a very good Tackle, I'd expect some growing pains if he shifts outside, and Heckel takes over C. That scenario only leaves Adams with game experience at his position.

A grad transfer OT could put 4 guys at a position of experience. No transfer, and I think they'll be fine, but it may take a few games for cohesion.

You could argue Tisdale with experience, but I'm referring to P5 competition, with 40k more watching

Last edited:
In 2 years, tackle should be a strength. Potential of Servais, Clark, Tisdale, White, P.Davis, Froumy, Bergeron, if the PWO comes along, and new recruits. Generally, I prefer the luxury of having guards that can also play tackle(feet) over a straight up guard - with some notable exceptions. (Larry Allen :-o, etc..)

Yepp. Even though I think Servais will be a very good Tackle, I'd expect some growing pains if he shifts outside, and Heckel takes over C. That scenario only leaves Adams with game experience at his position.

A grad transfer OT could put 4 guys at a position of experience. No transfer, and I think they'll be fine, but it may take a few games for cohesion.

You could argue Tisdale with experience, but I'm referring to P5 competition, with 40k more watching
Because of his mobility, I wouldn't be surprised to see Adams moved to OT.

Personally, I thought that Guthrie was fantastic. And Whitner squeezed every drop of production out of his undersized frame. The performance of this group really took off when Shy began getting run after the Pitt game [as pointed out in numerous posts above].

I think we're going to miss Guthrie.

Agreed.

By the end of the season Ryan Guthrie was a force.

LT Servals LG D. Davis C Heckel RG P. Davis RT Adams
Carlos V. first off the bench.
I like that lineup too. No doubt Adams has strong potential at RT with his quick feet. Pretty solid options with Clark, Vet, Duerig, White and Tisdale to rotate in ... that's a huge line and excellent depth even without a GT.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom