Official John Wallace appreciation thread | Syracusefan.com

Official John Wallace appreciation thread

Raggs

Walk On
After reading the Boneyard meltdown on how the suspension will affect recruiting it made me remember how much we owe to John Wallace. We were going on probation and he still came to Syracuse. I doubt any top recruit would do that today. We owe him for keeping the program alive and getting us to the championship game. Without him, you have to wonder if the program would be where it is today. Article below from a couple years ago that shows his love for the orange. Thanks John!

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2009/10/former_syracuse_star_john_wall.html

1996 was a great year, very much because of JDubs. I always liked Otis Hill too. In '97 I always thought he was our best player, not Todd Burgan, despite what the media said.

A flat-out savior. Wallace is on the short list of most important figures in program history, just after guys like Boeheim, Bing, and Pearl.

After reading the Boneyard meltdown on how the suspension will affect recruiting it made me remember how much we owe to John Wallace. We were going on probation and he still came to Syracuse. I doubt any top recruit would do that today. We owe him for keeping the program alive and getting us to the championship game. Without him, you have to wonder if the program would be where it is today. Article below from a couple years ago that shows his love for the orange. Thanks John!

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2009/10/former_syracuse_star_john_wall.html

Here, here. On top of that, think of how lucky we are that Lawrence Moten--essentially, an unheralded recruit, ended up being an impact player who finished his career as the Big East Conference's all-time leading scorer. Without those two, who knows what depths the program might have sunk to?

Instead, we weathered the spectre of probation that hung over our program and cost us recruits like Jalen Rose, Donyell Marshall, etc. Recruiting dropped off for several seasons after that--especially until Troy Weaver came along. But players like John John and Moten were highly instrumental in helping the program tread water in what might have been an insurmountable scandal at other programs.

And John consistently shows up at SU games... both at home and on the road. I have no idea what he is doing now, but he is aways there for SU when it counts.

Somewhat off topic, but what ever happened to his son? Wasn't he a pretty good player in high school, supposedly?

Or am I thinking of his little brother...?

Somewhat off topic, but what ever happened to his son? Wasn't he a pretty good player in high school, supposedly?

Or am I thinking of his little brother...?

His little brother was a big scorer in the Rochester area--may have even broken John's scoring records at Greece-Athena. My recollection was that he suffered at least one and possible multiple catastrophic knee injuries, and ended up playing at a lower level.

And I'll always remember the dunk against Kentucky when he caught the ball at about the elbow, took a dribble, launched from about 10 feet out and pounded it with two hands. So awesome.

JW is my favorite player ever. I have a picture of him hanging in my office.
1996 is the year I met my wife and she had never watched a college basketball game prior to meeting me. As the season, and especially the tournament, wore on, she discovered what I die hard fan I was, but also discovered what a great game college basketball is. By the time the Sweet 16 rolled around, she had become a Syracuse fan. Now, she didn't really know any of the names of our players yet, but she knew #44 was a great player. When she couldn't remember his name, she referred to him as the "Big Black Man." We still refer to John, very lovingly, as The Big Black Man. Is that even PC? I don't know, but in our house, that is who he is.

Here, here. On top of that, think of how lucky we are that Lawrence Moten--essentially, an unheralded recruit, ended up being an impact player who finished his career as the Big East Conference's all-time leading scorer. Without those two, who knows what depths the program might have sunk to?

Instead, we weathered the spectre of probation that hung over our program and cost us recruits like Jalen Rose, Donyell Marshall, etc. Recruiting dropped off for several seasons after that--especially until Troy Weaver came along. But players like John John and Moten were highly instrumental in helping the program tread water in what might have been an insurmountable scandal at other programs.
Great point RF! A lot of people justifiably bring up John Wallace but Moten played a huge part also. You pretty much said it perfectly so I won't add any more than that.

AbsoluteWarrior, this guy bleeds orange, showing up to games as posted above (as does DC). Most fond memories were the georgia and kansas game in 96' and how he carried us to the title game. Such consistent play.

A flat-out savior. Wallace is on the short list of most important figures in program history, just after guys like Boeheim, Bing, and Pearl.

Wow... where is the over board button? Come on now, man. Seriously? I have a lot of love for JW, but "on the short list of most important figures in program history, just after guys like Boeheim, Bing, and Pearl". Oh my goodness, if you're not being sarcastic, wow.

Wow... where is the over board button? Come on now, man. Seriously? I have a lot of love for JW, but "on the short list of most important figures in program history, just after guys like Boeheim, Bing, and Pearl". Oh my goodness, if you're not being sarcastic, wow.
Honestly, how many people can you legitimately put ahead of J-Dub on that list?

Boeheim
Bing
Pearl
Sherm
DC
Carmelo

...and wouldn't you have to put John next, almost? In terms of his impact on the court and his amazing contribution in terms of daring to go to a program teetering on the edge has to put him up there in terms of importance to the history of the program.

Honestly, how many people can you legitimately put ahead of J-Dub on that list?

Boeheim
Bing
Pearl
Sherm
DC
Carmelo

...and wouldn't you have to put John next, almost? In terms of his impact on the court and his amazing contribution in terms of daring to go to a program teetering on the edge has to put him up there in terms of importance to the history of the program.

And I'd have him ahead of Sherm; after only the other five guys.

well as of now Omar Calhoun is still heading to UConn next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom