Officiating in the ACC | Syracusefan.com

Officiating in the ACC

Orangefan1

All Conference
who is responsible? How does the league hold them more accountable for these calls tha are atrocious. I really feel like we are getting screws in the ACC and not sure Syracuse will ever get a fair shake. The calls going against us are major turning points in the game. It’s really worrisome that they aren’t called out on it

The roughing the passer on 94 was the weirdest thing I ever saw. The pass was a duck that came 10 yards short of the receiver...because the QB got hit as he was releasing the ball. Roughing?

Agree, completely bogus. And, to add salt to the wound, the ensuing play that led to that 65 yard rushing TD, our D lineman was clearly/blatantly being held by their O lineman. Brutal sequence right there. :(:mad:

The roughing the passer on 94 was the weirdest thing I ever saw. The pass was a duck that came 10 yards short of the receiver...because the QB got hit as he was releasing the ball. Roughing?
Was blown away by that call. Cleanly hitting a QB as he releases the ball is roughing?! Even the announcers didn't get it. One said something like "must've been for driving him into the ground". Umm, yeah, that's how (made) tackles usually end up. And, as noted above, the lack of "indisputable" evidence of ED's OOB after the replays showed kinda indisputably his heel was off the ground while the toes were in?

On par with that ridiculous roughing the passer penalty where Alton Robinson would have had to have air brakes in order to hit the FSU quarterback with only half the impact, was the 4th down call near midfield in the fourth where the ball may have been quick snapped to Dungey because Servais recognized that the FSU NT had his HAND NEXT TO THE BALL on 4th and 1 when it was snapped!

How could any referee in the history of football not recognize the overly blatant nuetral zone infraction where the DT had his hand NEXT TO our center on the snap?!? And this was the principle reason that we did not get the extra 1/2 yard push for the 1st down in the first place. Not too surprisingly, there was not too much clamor about that debacle by our illustrious ACC announcing duo. While I believe there are a number of other spurious decisions by the zebras I believe we all observed, the blatant 50 yard run aided by a massive hold after the unsportsmanlike conduct on Alton and the 4th and 1 call we were robbed on would be my #3,#2 and #1.

I almost felt like the fix was in to help FSU in any way possible get qualified for a bowl game before it may be too late...almost (yeah right)

On par with that ridiculous roughing the passer penalty where Alton Robinson would have had to have air brakes in order to hit the FSU quarterback with only half the impact, was the 4th down call near midfield in the fourth where the ball may have been quick snapped to Dungey because Servais recognized that the FSU NT had his HAND NEXT TO THE BALL on 4th and 1 when it was snapped!

How could any referee in the history of football not recognize the overly blatant nuetral zone infraction where the DT had his hand NEXT TO our center on the snap?!? And this was the principle reason that we did not get the extra 1/2 yard push for the 1st down in the first place. Not too surprisingly, there was not too much clamor about that debacle by our illustrious ACC announcing duo. While I believe there are a number of other spurious decisions by the zebras I believe we all observed, the blatant 50 yard run aided by a massive hold after the unsportsmanlike conduct on Alton and the 4th and 1 call we were robbed on would be my #3,#2 and #1.

I almost felt like the fix was in to help FSU in any way possible get qualified for a bowl game before it may be too late...almost (yeah right)
Exact thoughts: the fix is in. We're f...doomed

officiating in all p5 is pretty bad/ after the su game i watched ru-maryland it was horrible there as well. i also watched part of two ivy league games,upenn vs princeton and columbia vs harvard---pretty good reffing in those games though .

officiating in all p5 is pretty bad/ after the su game i watched ru-maryland it was horrible there as well. i also watched part of two ivy league games,upenn vs princeton and columbia vs harvard---pretty good reffing in those games though .
Wildhack needs to step up and start asking the league to review these calls. He needs to put refs on notice. It actually works as the review process can get them demoted or canned.

Wildhack needs to step up and start asking the league to review these calls. He needs to put refs on notice. It actually works as the review process can get them demoted or canned.
Agreed - this should be done if Wildhack is doing is job. Would we know if Wildhack is doing this or not?

Agreed - this should be done if Wildhack is doing is job. Would we know if Wildhack is doing this or not?
commisioners of the leagues need to get together on this. perhaps if there were a pool of refs and not conference related refs it maybe better. nevertheless performance of refs needs more scrutiny. there seems to be more controversial calls this year, and obvious mistakes that should be eligible to be overturned.

After the select few chosen to ref our games does the league right the rules on how to screw Syracuse on each yellow flag?

I'm pretty sure 14 tapes land at the ACC offices from each school at the end of these weeks.

Problem with bad employees in general is finding someone better at the job willing to do it.

Missed facemask on Dungey was worst call but we got some too (no PI call on scoop, the PI they got on their sideline against Butler). Tough game to officiate

Don’t forget the FSU “catch” that clearly was on the ground two different times through the whole motion. That supposedly indisputable catch was decided after it was indisputable that ED had stepped out of bounds.

I’m ok with ED being called out of bounds... IF, they had a camera angle we didn’t. It wouldn’t surprise me if he was. However, if they had the same camera shots we had than they were assuming he was out and that’s very different and not what replay is supposed to be. Regardless of that specific play, some of the other calls/non calls were ridiculous

I can understand missed face masks, as there are bodies flying everywhere and you may not be in position to see it.

I can understand some missed holds to an extent.

I don’t understand how you miss an obvious penalty right by the ball, before anybody is moving.

I don’t understand how you screw up a late hit call that badly. How was “roughing the passer” even a thought there?

And I don’t understand how you still get it wrong after seeing the replay.

And the spots are getting very, very fishy.

Let’s be way ahead of the curve...ROBOT REFS. It’s gotta be a possibility.

I'm pretty sure 14 tapes land at the ACC offices from each school at the end of these weeks.

Problem with bad employees in general is finding someone better at the job willing to do it.

Yep. And the pay for college football officials is not great so finding someone better is a problem. For example, a few articles (SEC officials and NY times) estimate the pay is between $800 and $3000 per game, which may sound a lot for 3 hours, but it isn't something that you can maintain as your primary employment as a football ref (though you can do pretty well as a basketball ref). These missed calls will continue to occur and most can get chalked up as homefield advantage as refs are psychologically influenced by their environment according to data analytics.

I can understand missed face masks, as there are bodies flying everywhere and you may not be in position to see it.

I can understand some missed holds to an extent.

I don’t understand how you miss an obvious penalty right by the ball, before anybody is moving.

I don’t understand how you screw up a late hit call that badly. How was “roughing the passer” even a thought there?

And I don’t understand how you still get it wrong after seeing the replay.

And the spots are getting very, very fishy.

Let’s be way ahead of the curve...ROBOT REFS. It’s gotta be a possibility.

On the roughing the passer, it wasn't late but they called him for driving the QB into the ground. I've seen that call before, but it was wrong in this case. Not like he picked him up and put his full force into dropping him. He just tackled him. The missed offsides just can't happen either.

Last edited:
On the roughing the passer, it wasn't late but they called him for driving the QB into the ground. I've seen that call before, but it was wrong in this case. Not like he picked him up and put his full force into dropping him. He just tacked him. The missed offsides just can't happen either.
Yeah, I've seen it called when the D picks up the QBs legs, but that didn't happen on that hit. QB jumped and payed for it.

Ohh, let’s not also forget at least one specific play early in the game where one of our WR’s dropped a catch by the FSU sideline and the FSU DB hovered over him for quite awhile, stepped back and continued “taunting” him before being pulled away by two coaches. I realize this is football but I thought the NCAA was trying to cut those actions out of the game and I’ve seen that done to our players almost every game

I'm glad someone else saw what I saw and no one in the stadium (announcers included) even mentioned it. The pass was altered because QB was hit while throwing it! How can that be roughing the passer?

We all understand that there are bad calls in all games. Are we really getting screwed more than others? Has anyone systematically looked at all the questionable calls and counted that we got screwed more than the opposition? I think we did yesterday but I also recognize the orange colored glasses I wear.

Florange44