Ohio Bobcats (Week 1) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Bobcats (Week 1)

There are always lots of young rising coaches coming from the lower levels who would be interested in any P5 job. IF Dino isn’t the guy here I think you still go the rising offensive mind route, just maybe look for someone who has a bit more experience as a program builder.
Sean Lewis maybe?

There's obviously no guarantee; but, I would go with the Illini template. Maybe a former SEC head coach that didn't manage to stick, with some NFL experience. Background in the Northeast would be nice(i.e. no wandering eye for the Midwest, or South, or West Coast. My mind goes to Joe Moorhead or Doug Marrone...
Love Joe

And another thread turns into a keep/fire Dino thread. Can we just add in Rutgers sucks, Joe’s fat and Kadary was better to make it all inclusive?
Agree with one of those, but won’t state which one for the record.

LOL. Amazing how many people actually want I hold 2020 against the coach.

Personally I will give him credit for keeping his team eligible to play in all of the scheduled games in 2020, even if they had to convince a fullback to play guard to prevent having to forfeit games. There are plenty of programs that weren’t able to accomplish that task.

Regarding a buyout, paying anything to a coach not to coach is too much.

All of the negativity before this team has even played a game is comical.

This team is young. Be patient.

last year never happened in my eyes but 1 bowl year out of 5 if no bowl this year is tough to keep hm

I agree.

- Unless there is a complete implosion, DB isn’t going anywhere right now. The buyout is too much.

- This roster is young. Other than the defensive line, every position group is young and talented.

Unfortunately too many posters here are nothing but hyper critical and negative. They would complain if Cuse hired Nick Saban; he’s too old, he’s too short etc, etc…

I’m not sure there’s anything on this board hyper critical or negative for a coach that has 4 losing seasons out of 5, coming off a 1 win season. I think this board is really pretty tame given the circumstances. Of course there are posters that complain no matter what.

Should the team really be “young” in year 6? This isn’t even year 4 of a rebuild. This is year 6. And nobody can say young and talented in the same sentence coming off a 1 win season. I like the players on the team, I think the coaching staff has failed them to some degree but to call them talented at this point. We have to see it before really proclaiming that. Everyone has been saying since DB got here he’s improved recruiting and talent. Same thing the Shafer apologists said. At some point that has to show up on the field and in wins.

But this board is pretty tame and forgiving I think for what the play on the field has been at times the last 5 seasons. Shafer level decision making, game plans and execution.

LOL. Amazing how many people actually want I hold 2020 against the coach.

Personally I will give him credit for keeping his team eligible to play in all of the scheduled games in 2020, even if they had to convince a fullback to play guard to prevent having to forfeit games. There are plenty of programs that weren’t able to accomplish that task.

Regarding a buyout, paying anything to a coach not to coach is too much.

All of the negativity before this team has even played a game is comical.

This team is young. Be patient.
So Dino didn't hire his son-in-law's father to coach and recruit the most important position on a football team? Even though he was a high school coach with no experience in college, P5, or quarterbacks.

Bobcat fan here, logging in to share some information and to learn some stuff about the Orange before the week one match up. I think the key to this game for the Bobcats is just to settle in. In the first quarter, If there are no major self-inflicted wounds and Ohio can adjust to ACC physicality, then It will be a competitive game. Ohio has a very talented on the OL, especially the interior offensive line, and they have a LT transfer from Virginia Tech who is 6'7", 375. Ohio probably has the best overall RB room in the MAC so the running game is formidible, when considering the RBs and OL. The number one RB De'Montre Tuggle is a Sunday prospect. He is also a talented kick off returner.
Syracuse was 1-10 last year but they really showed some nice moments at times. I didnt watch all of their games but first QTR and 1/2 against Notre Dame in 2020 was pretty darn good, until some self-inflicted stuff made it easier for ND. Taj Harris is obviously a game-changer but a few other guys stood out. I am a big fan of your FB, Chris Elmore- 265? pounds! He is fantastic and scary. And LB Mikel Jones, boy, you got one there. Anyone else you guys see standing out in Athens in week one?
Welcome! My sister went to OU, and I’m from Southwestern Ohio. In fact, im wearing an OU shirt and a Syracuse hat right now. All that said, and with due respect, I hope we beat you guys on Saturday.

How is OU dealing with Solich’s departure?

Greatly looking forward to a bowl season, to stop the vultures from circling.
Yep. And we will have one because for the first time in 3 years we have both adequate talent and depth.

DFB has proven he is a good coach at EI, BG and here the first 3 years.

DFB also proved he had growing pains relative to building a program. This is evidenced by the black hole he ignored at QB/OL rooms for depth purposes. I think he also realized the asst coaching stakes are a bit higher at P5 (witness upgrades at 6-7 positions including both coordinators).

If we look at the current 2 deep talent and depth and also look at the coaching staff pedigree, I think we have everything in place to get back where DFB has lived during 75% of his HC career, which is 8-10 wins.

That’s my bet unless we have extraordinary injuries, in which case I still expect a bowl game.

Who‘s game? Alsacs ? Double or nothing?

Yep. And we will have one because for the first time in 3 years we have both adequate talent and depth.

DFB also proved he had growing pains relative to building a program. This is evidenced by the black hole he ignored at QB/OL rooms for depth purposes. I think he also realized the asst coaching stakes are a bit higher at P5 (witness upgrades at 6-7 positions including both coordinators).

If we look at the current 2 deep talent and depth and also look at the coaching staff pedigree, I think we have everything in place to get back where DFB has lived during 75% of his HC career, which is 8-10 wins.

That’s my bet unless we have extraordinary injuries, in which case I still expect a bowl game.

My big concern is the D-Line. A P5 program should have 3 McKinley Williams on the roster, right now we don't even have one. If this season fails, it will be because we are dominated at that point of attack. In a perfect world, we should have 3-6 horses like Josh and McKinley to rotate. Kingsley Jonathan as a pass rushing linebacker.

My big concern is the D-Line. A P5 program should have 3 McKinley Williams on the roster, right now we don't even have one. If this season fails, it will be because we are dominated at that point of attack. In a perfect world, we should have 3-6 horses like Josh and McKinley to rotate. Kingsley Jonathan as a pass rushing linebacker.
I totally agree; when we finish in the bottom 3 in conference recruiting every year, we will likely finish in the bottom quarter of the conference unless we have some extremely unique coaching schemes.

If you're going 8+ wins then I'd certainly take your bet.

I totally agree; when we finish in the bottom 3 in conference recruiting every year, we will likely finish in the bottom quarter of the conference unless we have some extremely unique coaching schemes.
6 ACC teams put more players in the NFL last year than we did (including Trill)

I think that is more indicative of the staffs ability to identify and develop talent than deciding which of the bottom 10 schools had the best 3 stars.

I don’t even know the bet.
I think averaging one bowl season every 3 years coached so shouldn’t be a lot to ask. To keep your job.
What is the deal?

Bowl game is the bet.
I don’t want to bet against us not getting to a bowl.

That isn’t what I am about.
We can make the tournament and not be a high seed and atleast we made the tournament.
Not going 6-6 is unacceptable this year.