Ohio Bobcats (Week 1) | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Bobcats (Week 1)

He makes a lot less money there. They have few fans and almost no chance to become a serious contender. Syracuse offers all of those things to the right coach.

Let’s be clear. Still hanging our hat on the Clemson win is what loser programs do. Comparing DB to another coach with a better record and saying, “well they haven’t beat Clemson” is a loser mentality. Let’s go to bowls and have winning seasons. That Clemson win was nice. So was Grobs win against ND. Nobody is still hanging their hat on that win.

I don't know if your name indicates that you're a dad of an SU player. If you are, thanks for joining us. I'm also not sure how long you've followed SU football. Maybe it's longer than the 4+ months you've been on the board. If it isn't, I'd ask that you be careful when asking us, many of which are life long diehard fans, to be patient. We've been patient while getting out teeth kicked in for the better part of 15+ years. If we hadn't been, we wouldn't be here right now.

SU DAD x 2 = my moniker indicates I am the father of two current students at Syracuse.

Am I not allowed to post here if I'm not a lifelong diehard fan or a parent of a player?

Ok, I'll "be careful."

I've been following college football for more than 45 years. Coached HS and JC for almost 12 years. I am a fan of the game and the process.

Never followed SU football closely until my daughter applied and we visited in the fall of 2018. I found this board after a second child decided to attend SU last spring. I am not a lifelong diehard fan. Which might actually allow me to be a little objective. But I get it. You don't want objectivity. You want to storm the Dome and hang the coach in effigy if the team doesn't meet your expectations. Good luck with that.

Disappointment usually comes when your expectations don't match reality. As I look at this roster roster with 65 freshmen and redshirt-freshman, and only 10 seniors (including 7 RS-Sr), as well as a two-deep depth chart (that came out today) that includes only has 6 seniors in the 47 position players listed, I know I will temper my expectations.

47 position players listed in the two-deep depth chart today; 6 seniors, 8 juniors, 12 sophomores and 21 AARP card carrying freshman.

I will be patient. You do you.

Last edited:
A+ trolling.

This is a master class.
Dave Clawson is a very successful coach who has built strong programs at many levels. I don't rally understand what you and others here have against him. When ever I watch Wake play, I am impressed by how hard they play and how well coached they are.

So every thread is going to turn in to a how long will Dino last? Can we just keep this discussion in one thread for the year. We need only three threads apparently one for Rutgers sucks, one for the uniforms suck and one for Dino sucks.
As for the actual game against Ohio I watched the condescended version of their games from last year. A few things really stood out.
#24 Tuggle is the real deal. Everything they do on offense is based on the run game. They really struggled to throw the ball in throwing situations. Cox seems to be their main receiving threat. Hopefully Williams shuts him down. We have to stop the run early in drives. Their line is physical and seems to wear people down. They have a good offense and know what they want to do.
Ohio defense is much less impressive. They play a lot of Cover3 and Cover 4. I don’t know if the deep sideline pass will be available very often. The middle of field is open. Hopefully Harris and Benson can take advantage.
I don’t think this is going to be an easy game but Syracuse can win. Have to be physical in our run game. I would like to see around 20-25 pass attempts. We need to keep our defense fresh and we should win.
Hard to say game 1 is a must win, but I think we can all agree it kinda is.

SU DAD x 2 = my moniker indicates I am the father of two current students at Syracuse.

Am I not allowed to post here if I'm not a lifelong diehard fan or a parent of a player?

Ok, I'll "be careful."

I've been following college football for more than 45 years. Coached HS and JC for almost 12 years. I am a fan of the game and the process.

Never followed SU football closely until my daughter applied and we visited in the fall of 2018. I found this board after a second child decided to attend SU last spring. I am not a lifelong diehard fan. Which might actually allow me to be a little objective. But I get it. You don't want objectivity. You want to storm the Dome and hang the coach in effigy if the team doesn't meet your expectations. Good luck with that.

Disappointment usually comes when your expectations don't match reality. As I look at this roster roster with 65 freshmen and redshirt-freshman, and only 10 seniors (including 7 RS-Sr), as well as a two-deep depth chart (that came out today) that includes only has 6 seniors in the 47 position players listed, I know I will temper my expectations.

47 position players listed in the two-deep depth chart today; 6 seniors, 8 juniors, 12 sophomores and 21 AARP card carrying freshman.

I never said you weren't allowed to post (not sure where you took that from). But telling people to be patient that have been patient since the time your daughter was in kindergarten is misplaced. You've been patient for all of 3 years. Most on here have had to be patient through 4 coaching regimes.

I'm rooting for Dino. I want success, and I hope it's with him. I'm just suggesting that you have some perspective when telling people what to do that have been following SU football for decades on numerous iterations of this board while you've followed for 3 years and been on the board for 4 months.

He makes a lot less money there. They have few fans and almost no chance to become a serious contender. Syracuse offers all of those things to the right coach.

He got a big pay bump and is under contract there til 2026. If he leaves it won't be to here.

Dave Clawson is a very successful coach who has built strong programs at many levels. I don't rally understand what you and others here have against him. When ever I watch Wake play, I am impressed by how hard they play and how well coached they are.
1. He’s boring
2. He’s a dork
3. All that is besides the point. He’s not moving laterally to Syracuse from Wake.

I never said you weren't allowed to post (not sure where you took that from). But telling people to be patient that have been patient since the time your daughter was in kindergarten is misplaced. You've been patient for all of 3 years. Most on here have had to be patient through 4 coaching regimes.

I'm rooting for Dino. I want success, and I hope it's with him. I'm just suggesting that you have some perspective when telling people what to do that have been following SU football for decades on numerous iterations of this board while you've followed for 3 years and been on the board for 4 months.
I’ve been a fan for 30 years and have been making the case for patience this year.

You’re both right of course. Team deserves patience, HC maybe a little less - and fans are angsty cause we’re coming of a 1 win season

1. He’s boring
2. He’s a dork
3. All that is besides the point. He’s not moving laterally to Syracuse from Wake.
You really need to stop saying it's a lateral move, Syracuse's ceiling is way higher than Wake's.

You really need to stop saying it's a lateral move, Syracuse's ceiling is way higher than Wake's.
And our ceiling is way higher than Dave Clawson. The last two decades have really beaten down some fans into having such sad aspirations of mediocrity.

Ok, I'll "be careful."

I am about as pro-patient as they come, but I have one issue with your roster analysis that GoSU96 did a good job highlighting earlier this summer.

All the Soph and half of the Fr are actually Jr and So. Every single player except the true 2020 frosh (like Ellis and Duce) are a year older than the roster indicates. We are loaded with players on year 3-6 on the 2 deep.

I’ll try to find Go’s post on it… but we have good depth and experience at almost every position (except CB where we have 3 talented players, 2 with experience but no depth behind them)

What is your prognostication for a record for this year? Just curious given you don’t have orange colored glasses or 20 years of negativity baked in haha

EDIT: actually Go underestimated the roster experience and Scooch did the breakdown by year. See below

I figured it'd be interesting to categorize it by the year each player is going into this season. So, for example, redshirt senior McKinley Williams will be in his 6th year starting this summer camp, due to his pre-2020 redshirt season and his bonus year of eligibility due to COVID...

6th year: 4
5th year: 12
4th year: 13
3rd year: 23
1st year or 2nd year: 33

This paints the experience level of the team in a somewhat different light. More than one-third of the roster (34%) is going into their 4th, 5th or 6th year in the program. Another 27% is going into the 3rd year.

That means 61% of the roster has at least 2+ full seasons of practice under their belt, which makes them at least nominally upperclassmen, in a traditional sense.

Last edited:
Sooooo I haven't kept up with this thread but tried to read the last few pages to grab a little insight into this week's game. I have a couple of questions.

When did Clawson coach at Ohio?

Do we have assistants leaving for Ohio?

Do some people think Ohio is around LSU in regards to talent level so we shouldn't be scheduling them?

Sorry very confused, hard to relate the last 3 pages or so to this weekend's game. Hoping someone can connect the dots.

*sarcasm face*

Starting to feel like this is Dino's Akron. Sure Ohio is a bit better than the Zips were in 2007 or 2008 or whenever that fiasco was. MTSU still hasn't gone away. Losing to a mac school with a first year HC? It was unforgivable for Gerg. This isn't just a must win to get the ball rolling, this is a must win for Dino to save face. We lose this game and we don't get 30k for Rutgers. They might announce more but it will be a sea of open metal and bad reverb in the ears for 4 hours.