OK, is Cooney the golden child, or the whipping boy? | Syracusefan.com

OK, is Cooney the golden child, or the whipping boy?

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Polarizing player, yeah?

The Cuckoo for Cooney group says that some fans have already anointed Cooney as the team whipping boy.

The Cooney Complainers (not my best work here) acknowledge that he's still a pretty huge question mark when it comes to shooting, despite how much others believe he'll improve and despite what Gerard said about him.

What is Cooney?

He's already had a big head made of him, of course expectations would be high.

image.jpg

Yes, there was a lot of talk a year or so ago about him filling the shoes of Gerry and Andy. Pretty high expectations if you ask me. Can he get there? Possibly.

I am somewhat concerned about his erratic shooting at times. Furthermore, we certainly need some kind of deep threats to hopefully open up the interior for our bigs.

However, he plays suburb defense (in my opinion), is getting more comfortable in driving the lane and has been making some sweet dishes. If he continues to do these, I can probably live with a 30% three point average (although I sure hope it will be higher).

Yes, there was a lot of talk a year or so ago about him filling the shoes of Gerry and Andy. Pretty high expectations if you ask me. Can he get there? Possibly.

I am somewhat concerned about his erratic shooting at times. Furthermore, we certainly need some kind of deep threats to hopefully open up the interior for our bigs.

However, he plays suburb defense (in my opinion), is getting more comfortable in driving the lane and has been making some sweet dishes. If he continues to do these, I can probably live with a 30% three point average (although I sure hope it will be higher).

That's stereotyping. Just because Cooney's from Delaware doesn't mean he doesn't have any inner city game in him.;)

Way too early to tell but if he's not shooting above .300 before the ACC, this place is going to be crazy!

Cooney is in for a beating. He is in the unfortunate role of starting in the worst 2g rotation SU has put out there in a decade.

JB saw it coming but it was too late, 2 other program rejects were not the answer. It looks like JB did find him a good young one but doesn't have the stones to develop him.

If Igor is right and JB is boeheiming BJ in order to pay back the redshirt, then I don't think we will see much more of BJ. According to igor, JB would not want to showcase the obvious, and the stat differential is already hard to ignore.

i've heard tell the kid can shoot. JUST SHOW ME! rather drink hotdog water than watch his highlight reel .

Cooney is in for a beating. He is in the unfortunate role of starting in the worst 2g rotation SU has put out there in a decade.

JB saw it coming but it was too late, 2 other program rejects were not the answer. It looks like JB did find him a good young one but doesn't have the stones to develop him.

If Igor is right and JB is boeheiming BJ in order to pay back the redshirt, then I don't think we will see much more of BJ. According to igor, JB would not want to showcase the obvious, and the stat differential is already hard to ignore.
Pretty harsh judgement when you haven't seen a single meaningful game(s). With that attitude, you might as well not bother to watch any games this year. It will be more than you can handle if TC does well or even if he doesn't do well.

Call me crazy, but I think he's the type of player who we should wait to see play more than 11 minutes per game, much of which came late in games and early in the season, before we decide what type of player he will be.

This is the least fun post you've made. Ever.

Personally I think JB is 68 years old and would give his right nut for a second NC! I don't believe he would sit a guy for and second never mind a year!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Looks like Igor has an apprentice

Review_DarthSidiousTVC_stillC.JPG

This was written with tongue in cheek, right? I sure hope so.

No offense, but posts like this suggest you don't have a clue what you're talking about, Sarge.

Which I know from your posting history isn't the case.

What is Cooney?

He's one of our players, and an integral cog in our rotation this year. Our "fans" should probably quit choosing sides and actively rooting for / against him, and root for not just him but ALL of our players to do well so that the team excels and maximizes its potential.

Call me crazy, but I think he's the type of player who we should wait to see play more than 11 minutes per game, much of which came late in games and early in the season, before we decide what type of player he will be.

AIRBALL AIRBALL. just saying. that was no illusion. no final coutdown.

on a personal note worst backcourt i can recall was coach mike hopkins and michael edwards.
(floorburn and chickenhead).

Of course.

This thread was started for the sole purpose of breathing life into this tired argument.

I watched every game that was televised last year. I saw TC make some good plays and some bad ones. Extrapolating from that "total body of work" with any kind of accuracy is an exercise in futility.

What I didn't see is marked improvement during the season or a greater willingness of JAB to use TC in critical situations when he had an alternative. Which, of course, means nothing. All that matters is how much TC improves from the end of last season to the beginning of next season. If he makes a great leap, he'll be a positive contributor. If he makes little improvement, he'll be just what he was last year.

Way too early to tell but if he's not shooting above .300 before the ACC, this place is going to be crazy!

If he can't better 30% from three, he's going to be a "4 minute starter" and BJ is going to see a lot of time this year, just like his dad predicted. It's all about needing a shooter to open up the floor for us this year.

AIRBALL AIRBALL. just saying. that was no illusion. no final coutdown.

on a personal note worst backcourt i can recall was coach mike hopkins and michael edwards.
(floorburn and chickenhead).

Yeah, the number of airballs is alarming for a guy with a reputation for being a good shooter. Streaky shooter is sounding more like it - but so was Gerry when you get right down to it. His percentage wasn't that great but he sure did hit the important ones at the end of games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom