Ok State's Mike Gundy: Stop investing in facilities. Invest in NIL instead. | Syracusefan.com

Ok State's Mike Gundy: Stop investing in facilities. Invest in NIL instead.

NYCCuse826

Starter

The arms race was about facilities at one point with schools spending tens of millions for bells and whistles. Now, coaches are explicitly telling donors to stop earmarking money for fancy locker rooms and weight rooms, but donate to their collectives. Syracuse needs the facilities, but seeing this shows how much ground they need to make up on multiple fronts.

20231010_190906.jpg

What's interesting is that Gundy doesn't chastise talent for leaving for a better economic opportunity.

20231010_190908.jpg

The arms race was about facilities at one point with schools spending tens of millions for bells and whistles. Now, coaches are explicitly telling donors to stop earmarking money for fancy locker rooms and weight rooms, but donate to their collectives. Syracuse needs the facilities, but seeing this shows how much ground they need to make up on multiple fronts.

View attachment 232091

What's interesting is that Gundy doesn't chastise talent for leaving for a better economic opportunity.

View attachment 232092
Good on Gundy for explaining his grievances and not just sulking and complaining

It makes sense.

The facilities arms race became a complete joke years ago. Once you have the state-of-the-art weight room, training facilities, recovery facilities, etc., what the hell else do you need? The answer, of course, was wasting money on nonsense like having PS5's for every kid at their locker.

If we're going to piss money away, might as well just give it to the athletes that make everyone else richer.

Good on Gundy for explaining his grievances and not just sulking and complaining

Would be a little tougher for Dino to take that stand, I assume he wants to keep the paychecks coming in. Lally is in progress right now and they're still trying to raise more $ to finish it (I think?).

We were a little late to the game with the football facility, and time will tell if it wasn't the best use of resources given the timing of the biggest shift in the history of college sports.

But yeah, if you're a player, I'm sure you like the nice facility, but also think wouldn't it be better if the money spent to build it was in my bank account instead?

Would be a little tougher for Dino to take that stand, I assume he wants to keep the paychecks coming in. Lally is in progress right now and they're still trying to raise more $ to finish it (I think?).

We were a little late to the game with the football facility, and time will tell if it wasn't the best use of resources given the timing of the biggest shift in the history of college sports.

But yeah, if you're a player, I'm sure you like the nice facility, but also think wouldn't it be better if the money spent to build it was in my bank account instead?
Unfortunately Lally isn’t about video game consoles but some basics we were behind in. In creating it and a new football weight training facility, we simultaneously improve things for all our other athletes too (eg the current football weight facility can be repurposed for other sports vs the makeshift area in Manley). I think the school hasn’t done the best job explaining the true purpose (I get why they don’t advertise our issues). Once I saw it first hand, I understood the dilemma better. Unfortunately we have to spend that money to catch up Vs telling folks to support collectives. Only so many dollars. The real issues began in the 90s and 00s. Hard to catch up.

View attachment 232091

View attachment 232092
It’s so SU to finally get in the facilities arms race 30 years after it started only to miss the boat on the start of the NIL arms race.

If Onondaga and surrounding counties could just find a way to add an NIL tax, we wouldn’t be complaining about Dino’s coaching abilities anymore. The state charged taxpayers to finance the bills new stadium and the bills are privately owned. So why can’t SU get its fair share of tax revenue?

If Onondaga and surrounding counties could just find a way to add an NIL tax, we wouldn’t be complaining about Dino’s coaching abilities anymore. The state charged taxpayers to finance the bills new stadium and the bills are privately owned. So why can’t SU get its fair share of tax revenue?

You want to give tax dollars to a "tax-exempt" private university?

I think the average man in the street who already hates everything about SU will be thrilled.

Unfortunately Lally isn’t about video game consoles but some basics we were behind in. In creating it and a new football weight training facility, we simultaneously improve things for all our other athletes too (eg the current football weight facility can be repurposed for other sports vs the makeshift area in Manley). I think the school hasn’t done the best job explaining the true purpose (I get why they don’t advertise our issues). Once I saw it first hand, I understood the dilemma better. Unfortunately we have to spend that money to catch up Vs telling folks to support collectives. Only so many dollars. The real issues began in the 90s and 00s. Hard to catch up.
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. This is so on point. Lally is like 30 years behind and is really only playing catch up in an arms race we have been losing badly all thst time (shocker I know). We now need to add (immensely) NIL to this, which means more cash needed in an already cash starved situation. Hard to catch up as you said, couldn't be more accurate in the present. Tall task, that.

I think the average man in the street who already hates everything about SU will be thrilled.
Well Hochul is giving half a billion $$$ to a billionaire for a stadium so it seems fair. She is an alum after all. lol.

Very good explanation. And you have to remember, Gundy is a guy who had Boone Pickens to help him out with facilities, so he's talking from a different position than SU has been in.

I think you’re being nice when you say a little late. As recent as 2012 we had HS level facilities. We seem to be a little late on everything. This stuff starts at the top and i don’t mean Wildhack. For this you need the entire University to be in and we certainly don’t have that.

Absolutely F no.

I didn’t say it would be popular but SU can cite a private billionaire’s astronomical subsidy as a precedent. What does SU have to lose? Haters will always hate.

View attachment 232091

View attachment 232092
Is that the university’s call or the boosters making the donations? Thought universities were supposed to be out of NIL.

I think you’re being nice when you say a little late. As recent as 2012 we had HS level facilities. We seem to be a little late on everything. This stuff starts at the top and i don’t mean Wildhack. For this you need the entire University to be in and we certainly don’t have that.

You need big donors to be in.

View attachment 232091

View attachment 232092
He's exactly right
Kids just want money from their grandparents rather than have them waste it on the wrong toys that cost more than the kids value them for

No disrespect but I’ll assume you don’t know what happened.
Admittedly i don’t know for sure what i heard was true or not,

Regardless of him. Tuition is close to what, $80k/yr? I can rattle off famous millionaire alumni one after another. I’m not one to tell anyone how to spend their money, but i just can’t believe we are one of the few P5 programs that can’t find donors. I also know being a big time donor you would expect preferential treatment. Can you honestly tell me Syverud is bought in to NIL and what comes along with it?

It makes sense.

The facilities arms race became a complete joke years ago. Once you have the state-of-the-art weight room, training facilities, recovery facilities, etc., what the hell else do you need? The answer, of course, was wasting money on nonsense like having PS5's for every kid at their locker.

If we're going to piss money away, might as well just give it to the athletes that make everyone else richer.
Yes.

It's better this way.