Ok State's Mike Gundy: Stop investing in facilities. Invest in NIL instead. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Ok State's Mike Gundy: Stop investing in facilities. Invest in NIL instead.

And it’s not just Duce and Linton who were poached, but players like Courtney Jackson and Anthony Queeley and some of the developmental offensive linemen who were depth pieces that could contribute a bit in a pinch.

Two different issues though. Jackson and Queeley weren't bought. They knew they weren't in the plans other than being depth pieces and took advantage of player friendly transfer rules. If Dino was really worried about that, then I guess a guy like Queeley should have seen the field a little more. (I wouldn't if I were him).

Even Linton probably realized he wasn't a great fit for the 3-3-5 system as a DE, and went out a found a 4-3 to play in. Maybe he was bought, but how much would someone really spend on him?

Duce and Carter were bought, but we brought in at least 3 DBs, maybe 4? The defensive backfield is one of our actual depth positions (along with LB).

I don't know how much Geer received, but he was the biggest depth blow of anyone who left and might have been bought.

From what I sense, the NIL strategy focuses on retaining the kids doing well/better than expected here and being a player to get the disenfranchised four-star who committed to an all-world program and it didn’t work out.

I expect our recruiting classes to not ever be top 30 good, but I bet we can have top 30 portal classes if that’s a thing.
I know that's the route we want to go but even with that if we do have top stars they're going to get offered a lot more than we can come up with (See last year for ex). Not everyone is Mikel Jones and Sean Tucker.

Absolutely. For what it's worth i'll never (and i'll say never which i never do) spend a dime on NIl for Syracuse. I'll donate, and have donated, to the boosters for facilities that are forever things for all athletes to use but to donate so a kid can buy a ford 150 truck, no thank you.
Buildings get knocked down too you know.

From what I sense, the NIL strategy focuses on retaining the kids doing well/better than expected here and being a player to get the disenfranchised four-star who committed to an all-world program and it didn’t work out.

I expect our recruiting classes to not ever be top 30 good, but I bet we can have top 30 portal classes if that’s a thing.

I might be misremembering but I kinda remember an article or interview last year where John expressed the same thought that he’d like the NIL focus to be on retaining our own players.

Two different issues though. Jackson and Queeley weren't bought. They knew they weren't in the plans other than being depth pieces and took advantage of player friendly transfer rules. If Dino was really worried about that, then I guess a guy like Queeley should have seen the field a little more. (I wouldn't if I were him).

Even Linton probably realized he wasn't a great fit for the 3-3-5 system as a DE, and went out a found a 4-3 to play in. Maybe he was bought, but how much would someone really spend on him?

Duce and Carter were bought, but we brought in at least 3 DBs, maybe 4? The defensive backfield is one of our actual depth positions (along with LB).

I don't know how much Geer received, but he was the biggest depth blow of anyone who left and might have been bought.
Texas Tech has a collective where every student athlete receives $25k. Who knows if he got anything on top of that. I highly doubt we were matching anything there.

If Onondaga and surrounding counties could just find a way to add an NIL tax, we wouldn’t be complaining about Dino’s coaching abilities anymore. The state charged taxpayers to finance the bills new stadium and the bills are privately owned. So why can’t SU get its fair share of tax revenue?

NIL is income. You already tax it. You want to tax it again?

Is that the university’s call or the boosters making the donations? Thought universities were supposed to be out of NIL.

That will be changing soon. Already arguments being made in court.

Texas Tech has a collective where every student athlete receives $25k. Who knows if he got anything on top of that. I highly doubt we were matching anything there.

For a collective to give out that money to every athlete means they have to take in that much in donations. It’s simple math.

I might be misremembering but I kinda remember an article or interview last year where John expressed the same thought that he’d like the NIL focus to be retaining our own players.
Completely agree. It's where we should focus. We didn't beat out other schools for 4 and 5 star recruits before NIL. Why would we try when money is involved too? We need a strong program that allows us to retain our best players.

For a collective to give out that money to every athlete means they have to take in that much in donations. It’s simple math.
Exactly. That's just what every athlete gets, not including what some get on top of that. You said in the other post not to compare us to ND, Mich, etc, which I realize isn't fair although we are on the same level as them, but how about Texas Tech? I know we don't do this for our athletes.

I also confirmed the reason Weitsman was forced to move on. I get the why but I guarantee boosters at other schools do the same exact thing. Sounds like we were just being too cautious.

Depending on the amount of donors with this same thought process, its not too surprising the best players are going elsewhere in both major sports. Not that you're doing anything wrong, just a potential view.
That's fine. I went to SU, donate to the schools and have occasionally donated to the boosters for some of the facilities.

It's ridiculous donating to a gofundme for kids who are getting (CHECKING NOTES) full rides. I'm paying 80k for my son to go to college right now. I'm fine not writing additional checks so we go 8-4 vs 7-5. Is that crazy? If I was worth 1-2b the same scenario btw

So we do pretty well with P5 schools in the NE?
which makes sense because we should be playing against the NE schools in a conf. It's not who we are as a unviersity to underwrite like drunken sailors.

The NIL has just brought this to the forefront. SMU had an NIL for years it was just illegal.

NIL is income. You already tax it. You want to tax it again?
I’m saying let’s tax NY residents to generate NIL funds for NY schools. We’re all paying $100 each in taxes to support the Bills franchise, it’s only consistent that taxes should go towards buying a nice shiny WR and a couple good linemen.

That's fine. I went to SU, donate to the schools and have occasionally donated to the boosters for some of the facilities.

It's ridiculous donating to a gofundme for kids who are getting (CHECKING NOTES) full rides. I'm paying 80k for my son to go to college right now. I'm fine not writing additional checks so we go 8-4 vs 7-5. Is that crazy? If I was worth 1-2b the same scenario btw
Sports doesn’t work on logic. They (the players) drive outsized revenue and PR. Odds are they have the potential to provide much more value to the school than a regular student.

I was having this conversation the other day. The school is doing something to turn off prospective donors especially those who are younger.
Younger people not donating is nothing new. They’re just getting their lives started. When I was in my 20’s I couldn’t afford it and rolled my eyes at getting requests for money. As I’ve aged and become more financially secure my contributions to SU have increased. If people want to see the university do well they will contribute. If they can afford to donate, but don’t then they shouldn’t complain.

Last edited:
Exactly. That's just what every athlete gets, not including what some get on top of that. You said in the other post not to compare us to ND, Mich, etc, which I realize isn't fair although we are on the same level as them, but how about Texas Tech? I know we don't do this for our athletes.

I also confirmed the reason Weitsman was forced to move on. I get the why but I guarantee boosters at other schools do the same exact thing. Sounds like we were just being too cautious.

Who is “we”. TT did that because their collective decided to use $2.5M to give every player $25k for one year.

I might be misremembering but I kinda remember an article or interview last year where John expressed the same thought that he’d like the NIL focus to be on retaining our own players.

Was it a reaction to losing Duce and Carter?

I would think it always has to be a hybrid based on priorities. If we lose a QB to eligibility and don't feel fully confident in what's behind him, then that's a priority higher than losing, say, a Duce or Carter.

We have a lot of needs, so prioritizing isn't easy, but that's why Dino gets paid the big bucks.

Was it a reaction to losing Duce and Carter?

I would think it always has to be a hybrid based on priorities. If we lose a QB to eligibility and don't feel fully confident in what's behind him, then that's a priority higher than losing, say, a Duce or Carter.

We have a lot of needs, so prioritizing isn't easy, but that's why Dino gets paid the big bucks.

I “think” it was before losing those two.

Might be overstated - involved with a lots of fundraising efforts where young hotshots act like they have deep pockets yet very short arms.
I hope this isn't a cheap shot at Justin Pugh.

How many others NE P5 football schools are there? BC and UConn?
Yukon? P5? :p

BCU, yes.

If you want to include NJ then you can add Rutgirls.

If you want to include Pennsylvania then you can add Pitt & PedState.