Okay the Tampa 2 doesn't work but neither does the Shafer D | Syracusefan.com

Okay the Tampa 2 doesn't work but neither does the Shafer D

Alsacs

Living Legend
The Pitt D is the Narduzzi/Shafer D. Zack Mahoney just lead the Orange down for the 55th point.

You can convince Ward should be fired but we can't run the Shafer D either.

Either Ward and Babers need to do some soul searching in the offense, or we need to have a coordinator who will put secondary players at least in a position to succeed

This was not a Shafer defense, in any sense of the word
You didn't watch the game then. The freaking announcers said Narduzzi is running the Shafer D that is why Mahoney may know to play against it. I guess you didn't notice all the overload blitzes Pitt was running just like we used to run.

If you don't think that was the Shafer D you are being a blind supporter. It was the Shafer D.

Either Ward and Babers need to do some soul searching in the offense, or we need to have a coordinator who will put secondary players at least in a position to succeed
How is a player supposed to be in a position to succeed when they cannot get there effectively.

Today is not the day to defend ward and hammer the shafer D. Shafer never gave up 60+, or 60+ in the same season. This Pitt offense isnt high powered. our offense played great, ran a ton of plays and actually won the TOP essily. In my 30 years of watching college football, I have NEVER seen a college defense get gashed like this. never . tired of the talent argument . yes, we need more depth and bigger safeties but this was Game 12 boys and they should know the sceme by now. this scheme has never worked at the p5 level . our defense is stationary at the snap. of we are gonna gashed it better be gambling with a blitz and that isnt happening either . today was embarrassing .

Today is not the day to defend ward and hammer the shafer D. Shafer never gave up 60+, or 60+ in the same season. This Pitt offense isnt high powered. our offense played great, ran a ton of plays and actually won the TOP essily. In my 30 years of watching college football, I have NEVER seen a college defense get gashed like this. never . tired of the talent argument . yes, we need more depth and bigger safeties but this was Game 12 boys and they should know the sceme by now. this scheme has never worked at the p5 level . our defense is stationary at the snap. of we are gonna gashed it better be gambling with a blitz and that isnt happening either . today was embarrassing .
Um you are wrong. Pitt scored 43 on Clemson, 45 on Penn State, 70 on Duke, 45 on Georgia Tech. 36 on Virginia Tech, 34 on North Carolina.

If they aren't a high powered offense to you no offense is high powered. They are a top 3 offense in the ACC.

Uh, Pitts offense put up 40+ on Clemson. What the hell are you talking about? Pitt has a damn good offense.

The Pitt D is the Narduzzi/Shafer D. Zack Mahoney just lead the Orange down for the 55th point.

You can convince Ward should be fired but we can't run the Shafer D either.
Let me assist you...

You can convince that Ward should be fired but we can't run the Bullough D either...

I am pretty sure people keep confusing a Shafer D with a Bullough D. People so easily forget when Shafer was HC he explicitly stated on multiple occasions he DOES NOT interfere with his assistant coaches. All of Shafer's Defenses were top 30 iirc and none of Bullough's were. Maybe you could say he SHOULD HAVE interfered with the D (I would agree) but he explicitly said it was Bullough's D and not his.

With Shafer as the Defensive coordinator with and Babers as the CEO/offensive mastermind, we would have a hell of a combination.

Um you are wrong. Pitt scored 43 on Clemson, 45 on Penn State, 70 on Duke, 45 on Georgia Tech. 36 on Virginia Tech, 34 on North Carolina.

If they aren't a high powered offense to you no offense is high powered. They are a top 3 offense in the ACC.

They had the ball for 24:00 and had >600 yds of offense think about that. we had 38 first downs to their 20. for a defense that schematically is supposed to keep the action in front , they are doing the opposite , in a historical fashion . today is NOT the day to defend anything being done on the defensive side of the ball. and yes pitt scored some points this year, but nothing close to 76 in 24 minutes.

Uh, Pitts offense put up 40+ on Clemson. What the hell are you talking about? Pitt has a damn good offense.

Not 76 points in 24:00 good . give me a break. the offense had an epic day and the defense was historically bad.

Not 76 points in 24:00 good . give me a break. the offense had an epic day and the defense was historically bad.
It's entirely possible that the defense was historically bad because the offense had an epic day. By the fourth quarter they were exhausted and there was nobody left to swap in. Just take a breath and take this game for what it is.

It's entirely possible that the defense was historically bad because the offense had an epic day. By the fourth quarter they were exhausted and there was nobody left to swap in. Just take a breath and take this game for what it is.

You are missing the point. the offense put up big points AND held onto the ball . we had the ball for over 35:00, ran about 30-40 more plays than them. there is NO EXCUSE for the defense. they were not on the field that much. we got gashed for huge plays all day.

Aren't we down a few key players (Mr. Clark, anyone?) And aren't most of our defensive starters young? Isn't HCDB recruiting his ki D of defenders?

I think we need a step back from the edge of the cliff. Take a deep breath and look at the whole picture before making any rash decision. The single most important step in succeeding is staying the course. HCDB has a blue print t for success and he needs the time to implement it. 12 games is not sufficient.

Let me assist you...

You can convince that Ward should be fired but we can't run the Bullough D either...

I am pretty sure people keep confusing a Shafer D with a Bullough D. People so easily forget when Shafer was HC he explicitly stated on multiple occasions he DOES NOT interfere with his assistant coaches. All of Shafer's Defenses were top 30 iirc and none of Bullough's were. Maybe you could say he SHOULD HAVE interfered with the D (I would agree) but he explicitly said it was Bullough's D and not his.

With Shafer as the Defensive coordinator with and Babers as the CEO/offensive mastermind, we would have a hell of a combination.

No. He hired Bullough because he runs the same D. It was a Shafer D.

Alsacs said:
The Pitt D is the Narduzzi/Shafer D. Zack Mahoney just lead the Orange down for the 55th point. You can convince Ward should be fired but we can't run the Shafer D either.

Lets make that decision when we have the right pieces in place. Talent wins and once we get more of it, we will be fine.

You are missing the point. the offense put up big points AND held onto the ball . we had the ball for over 35:00, ran about 30-40 more plays than them. there is NO EXCUSE for the defense. they were not on the field that much. we got gashed for huge plays all day.

That's why we had the ball so much.

The D didn't need more than just a couple of stops. Just two less "gashes for huge plays" and it's a tie ball game.

You're right in that there is no defending the D. But with a clicking O you don't need dominance. You need slightly better D and or luck.

Lets make that decision when we have the right pieces in place. Talent wins and once we get more of it, we will be fine.

Give me a break. espn just showed it: 10 tds on 59 offensive plays. and again, we killed the TOP. this defensive performance was historically bad. game 12. so throw learning curve out the window . talent is a problem , yes, but not 76 points the problem .

Fellas, its ok to bash the D. bashing the D is not bashing Dino or saying dino might not stay. just saying this scheme is experimental at the p5 level . it worked for dino and ward in the minors, in a conference that was 100 yds of basketball scoring , different ballgame now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom