Okay the Tampa 2 doesn't work but neither does the Shafer D | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Okay the Tampa 2 doesn't work but neither does the Shafer D

Give me a break. espn just showed it: 10 tds on 59 offensive plays. and again, we killed the TOP. this defensive performance was historically bad. game 12. so throw learning curve out the window . talent is a problem , yes, but not 76 points the problem .

Talent and depth and injuries and the fact that Pitt has a great offense. We get it, you don't like the Tampa 2, but it was successful at times this season. Let's judge it next year when we have more depth and hopefully fewer injuries.

Aren't we down a few key players (Mr. Clark, anyone?) And aren't most of our defensive starters young? Isn't HCDB recruiting his ki D of defenders?

I think we need a step back from the edge of the cliff. Take a deep breath and look at the whole picture before making any rash decision. The single most important step in succeeding is staying the course. HCDB has a blue print t for success and he needs the time to implement it. 12 games is not sufficient.

Lol, you guys are hot stuff , so a dtackle, one i really love and think is great, was the difference today ? ots scheme boys, its ok, this isn't a knock on dino, but sometimes you cant bring all of your friends to the big leagues when you make it .

Talent and depth and injuries and the fact that Pitt has a great offense. We get it, you don't like the Tampa 2, but it was successful at times this season. Let's judge it next year when we have more depth and hopefully fewer injuries.

Lol, ok, thats convenient , lets do that. btw, no key injuries on the defensive side this year. guys , i love dino and think he will be great. questioning the D is not saying i want him out. the t2 is experimental at this level . it might hold toledo to 37 when you need it, but this is a whole new ballgame . 10 tds, 59 plays .

Lol, you guys are hot stuff , so a dtackle, one i really love and think is great, was the difference today ? ots scheme boys, its ok, this isn't a knock on dino, but sometimes you cant bring all of your friends to the big leagues when you make it .

Ok, if you were trying to "knock" Dino (and his staff, and his previous success as a HC), what would it sound like?

Ok, if you were trying to "knock" Dino (and his staff, and his previous success as a HC), what would it sound like?

I love dino, his style, offense, and most of his staff. i think he will be great here for a long time. thing us, you cant always bring all of your buddies with you when you make it to the bigs. we actually saw that with Shafer and he was hammered for it. the t2 is at best , experimental at this level. questioning ward is no hit on dino or our future, but rather making sure we have all the right tools in place

I get that you are not are not "attacking" or "bashing" the D or HCDB. The point is that the pices are not yet in place and complaining about it is premature. Additionally, it does nothing to advance the cause. We have faced the issues (more importantly, HCDB and staff have faced the issues, identified players to fill the needs and are going after them). We have realized that depth is an issue. We know the D is not as daunting as it once was. However, in the big picture, pieces are coming together.

As to teh scheme itself, what scheme would you run with undersized underclassmen? Serious question. You and others have not proffered a better solution or pla, only stated this is not working. This in spite of the fact that the D has worked in several games where teh O was the issue. Today, the D faced a very good O in Pitt and acknowledging the personnel losses one can easily conclude that the scheme may work, but requires experience, size and speed. The kids played well in spite of the negatives. The scheme has worked in several games. Also, the T2 is the basis of the defense and is tailored to HCDB's plans. Let's get more if HCDB's ideal players in the system and see what it does before condemning it.

Ish88888 said:
Give me a break. espn just showed it: 10 tds on 59 offensive plays. and again, we killed the TOP. this defensive performance was historically bad. game 12. so throw learning curve out the window . talent is a problem , yes, but not 76 points the problem .

Sometimes you just run into a buzzaaw. Happened today. I am confident it will improve

I get that you are not are not "attacking" or "bashing" the D or HCDB. The point is that the pices are not yet in place and complaining about it is premature. Additionally, it does nothing to advance the cause. We have faced the issues (more importantly, HCDB and staff have faced the issues, identified players to fill the needs and are going after them). We have realized that depth is an issue. We know the D is not as daunting as it once was. However, in the big picture, pieces are coming together.

As to teh scheme itself, what scheme would you run with undersized underclassmen? Serious question. You and others have not proffered a better solution or pla, only stated this is not working. This in spite of the fact that the D has worked in several games where teh O was the issue. Today, the D faced a very good O in Pitt and acknowledging the personnel losses one can easily conclude that the scheme may work, but requires experience, size and speed. The kids played well in spite of the negatives. The scheme has worked in several games. Also, the T2 is the basis of the defense and is tailored to HCDB's plans. Let's get more if HCDB's ideal players in the system and see what it does before condemning it.

You arent getting what i am saying. the TAMPA 2 scheme is not a college defense and has never had success at this level . i am routing like crazy for it bc i love dino and want all of his staff to stay in place . that said, today was embarrassing and crazy. 10 yds in 59 plays. please digest that. minus the vtech game and the kumbaya that happened there, we have been gashed all year. no pass rush, no coverage . no tackling .

You arent getting what i am saying. the TAMPA 2 scheme is not a college defense and has never had success at this level . i am routing like crazy for it bc i love dino and want all of his staff to stay in place . that said, today was embarrassing and crazy. 10 yds in 59 plays. please digest that. minus the vtech game and the kumbaya that happened there, we have been gashed all year. no pass rush, no coverage . no tackling .

Isn't much of the lack of pass rush, coverage and tackling due to a lack of experience, bigger/faster kids (which HCDB is recruiting) and injuries to the experienced players? Serious question.

The defense broke all sorts of league and team records and it is not in a good way either. I thought this team this year had better talent than what the results showed.

Gave up 501.1 yards per game this year

Last edited:
Ish88888 has every right to be disappointed in the defense. There's truths to both arguments. Yes, we don't have all the players and depth for this scheme, yes the players are still thinking on the field, yes we are undersize and young. The defense will be better next year but I also have concerns. ACC is a big step for Ward. Can him and the defensive coaches make adjustments when needed? It can't all fall on the players. The coaches have to make calls to put those players in the best position to make a play. I thought we weren't prepared for their multiple shifts. We looked confused out there. We weren't ready for their tempo, we were mis aligned and not set on a lot of plays. We didn't adjust to some of the same plays they ran and had big plays on. We have to bring better players in and the coaches have to do a better job preparing them. I was disgusted with the defense but at the same time it was a enjoyable game to watch on offense. I thought the team showed incredible grit

they ran the same sweep play twice in a row and the same guy ran to the wrong spot both times.. they then ran it 2-3 more times and we blew it up. and to say we had no key injuiries on D is really not paying attention. we lost 3 of the 4 starting dbs and 2-3 of the 2 deep on the dline. only in the LB played most of the year somewhat injury free.

Ish88888 has every right to be disappointed in the defense. There's truths to both arguments. Yes, we don't have all the players and depth for this scheme, yes the players are still thinking on the field, yes we are undersize and young. The defense will be better next year but I also have concerns. ACC is a big step for Ward. Can him and the defensive coaches make adjustments when needed? It can't all fall on the players. The coaches have to make calls to put those players in the best position to make a play. I thought we weren't prepared for their multiple shifts. We looked confused out there. We weren't ready for their tempo, we were mis aligned and not set on a lot of plays. We didn't adjust to some of the same plays they ran and had big plays on. We have to bring better players in and the coaches have to do a better job preparing them. I was disgusted with the defense but at the same time it was a enjoyable game to watch on offense. I thought the team showed incredible grit
Your somebody who I think is objective so good post.
Can you say if you agree with the announcers that Pittsburgh was running the same D that Scott Shafer runs with his overload blitz schemes. They sent a lot if blitzes this game and Mahoney threw the hot guy a lot.

Can you say if you agree with the announcers that Pittsburgh was running the same D that Scott Shafer runs with his overload blitz schemes. They sent a lot if blitzes this game and Mahoney threw the hot guy a lot.
Shafer and Narduzzi's defenses are different but have some similarities. They both are cover 4 heavy, both bring exotic pressures, the differences is Narduzzi doesnt blitz as much as Shafer and Shafer doesn't play a lot of press man. Narduzzi's scheme relies on the safeties staying in the box and playing the run. Thats allows 9 defenders on run and puts the corner on a island. Narduzzi scheme is more simple. Thats the beauty of it. Players know what they are doing and they play fast because of it.

It will be news to Shafer that he had a defense in that game today. What adjustments did he make as the game went on. Scott Shafer is a very good d-coordinator. There really is no debating that. And the farce that we watched this year on defense is not something one can defend with any credibility. Guys running free all over the field. The numbers speak for themselves. We were horrible this year before this game . No amount of spin can change that. We will never know what Shafer would have done with that Pitt defense because he didn't coach Pitt today. We need better players, for sure. We also need a scheme that actually works. Let's put it this way, if Ward was replaced before the season with any d coordinator in d-1, would we have been worse off for it?

It will be news to Shafer that he had a defense in that game today. What adjustments did he make as the game went on. Scott Shafer is a very good d-coordinator. There really is no debating that. And the farce that we watched this year on defense is not something one can defend with any credibility. Guys running free all over the field. The numbers speak for themselves. We were horrible this year before this game . No amount of spin can change that. We will never know what Shafer would have done with that Pitt defense because he didn't coach Pitt today. We need better players, for sure. We also need a scheme that actually works. Let's put it this way, if Ward was replaced before the season with any d coordinator in d-1, would we have been worse off for it?
Our defenses in 2014 and 2015 were not good with this supposed very good D coordinator as HC.
Shafer's D were never really good they were just average playing low Big East schedules. Honestly I don't care about your statement because I know what your doing and I won't respond. I could respond with a Next President cheap shot but I won't.

Shafer's system is basically the same as Narduzzi if you watched the entire game you would have heard the announcers say they talked with Zack Mahoney and he was confident going into this game because the film showed this D was very similar to Shafer's system and he practiced in that system last year.

Again , i love dino, but shafer gave up 17 to that same offense last year . i didnt want to go there , you did.

Again , i love dino, but shafer gave up 17 to that same offense last year . i didnt want to go there , you did.
to Ward's credit Pitt's offense is nothing like last year. Canada did a tremendous job with his scheme and play calling. Pitt fans are ecstatic about him. They are all afraid he's leaving for a bigger job.

edit : Pitt beat two teams that could be in the final 4.

Last edited:
Our defenses in 2014 and 2015 were not good with this supposed very good D coordinator as HC.
Shafer's D were never really good they were just average playing low Big East schedules. Honestly I don't care about your statement because I know what your doing and I won't respond. I could respond with a Next President cheap shot but I won't.

Shafer's system is basically the same as Narduzzi if you watched the entire game you would have heard the announcers say they talked with Zack Mahoney and he was confident going into this game because the film showed this D was very similar to Shafer's system and he practiced in that system last year.
What are you talking about? Grow up. I'm talking football here. Shafer wasn't coaching Pitt today no matter how many times you want to spout nonsense about announcers saying that Narduzzi was running a defense to similar to what Shafer ran. So every time a team plays 2-3 zone it's like JB is coaching them in hoop? It's meaningless. Shafers defense never got abused the way our defense was abused on a regular basis. As for the election, you were wrong on every part of it all year. hillary at least won the popular vote by 2 million. What were you right about?

Last edited by a moderator:
to Ward's credit Pitt's offense is nothing like last year. Canada did a tremendous job with his scheme and play calling. Pitt fans are ecstatic about him. They are all afraid he's leaving for a bigger job.

edit : Pitt beat two teams that could be in the final 4.

Very good point!:)

Its not talent basically same defense last year never got lit up like this.
People are all in on Babers. I hope they are right. I am a fan as well. But his defense, the Tampa two, will not work here and let's face it, it was a disaster this year. Almost couldn't have been worse. How could it have been?

how does that take any heat off of Ward? We gave up over 70 pts. Nothing changes that. Have we fallen that far that we spin giving up 70 + pts as a good sign?

Agree, that was my original point . the t2 is supposed to be bend , no break. we broke aaaallll day. 11 tds, 59 plays . think about that. unprecedented . sadly, overshadowed a great day by Zach and aet.

Agree, that was my original point . the t2 is supposed to be bend , no break. we broke aaaallll day. 11 tds, 59 plays . think about that. unprecedented . sadly, overshadowed a great day by Zach and aet.
No one says his offense won't here because it is obvious it will. But people feel the need to knock Shafer in an attempt to defend Babers. It's ridiculous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom