Class of 2023 - OL Christy Nkanu (CA) Grad Portal from Southern Utah / Committed to Washington State | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 OL Christy Nkanu (CA) Grad Portal from Southern Utah / Committed to Washington State

1D446D93-DF7B-414C-824F-BD59A7CF6E01.gif

Wonder if we are loosing any more OL or commits?
Seems likely.

This guy was first team All WAC. It looks Iike he played OT at Southern Utah.

Offers from Toledo, UMass and Washington State.

So this guy is built to come in and play day 1. Big dude. So it’s unlikely he is a backfill for Jackson (if Jackson flips) as Jackson was not going to be starting coming in. This is maybe just a net addition of a starting caliber player maybe?

Shrader’s comments pointed to this.
Inquiring minds want to know...

Have we struck out on recruiting legit OL prospects? Do we have systemic problems developing OL in our program?

Have we struck out on recruiting legit OL prospects? Do we have systemic problems developing OL in our program?
I'd say we do.

Who are our NFL OL past ten years?

Pugh, Tiller (JUCO). That's it. And they were 2012 and 2013.

And going back 20 years, add Ryan Durand (09), Ojinnaka (06), Adam Terry and Kevin Sampson (05).

Our OL development is horrible.

Out of this group Bergeron will get drafted. Davis might get a camp invite. Vett and Bleich (injury history), no chance.

So one guy in ten years and seven over twenty is just not getting it done.

Seems likely.

This guy was first team All WAC. It looks Iike he played OT at Southern Utah.

Offers from Toledo, UMass and Washington State.

He had an official at Arizona last weekend.

If Vetterorello is moving on, that would be 4 multi-year starters moving on. Other that Bliech the core is Ellis and the two Cruz’s. Makes sense to bring in older guys to provide size and experience.

We are losing some experienced OL and they need to be replaced. More will be gone after next year. I think some of the young OL in the program were not good fits for what Coach Schmidt is looking for at this position. Most were identified and selected by Coach Cav.

We really need an infusion of players, the next wave, to replace them.

At center, it was clear we needed to bring in someone who could make an impact immediately. That means bring in a frosh HS AA, a JUCO stud or a solid grad transfer.

Same thing at tackle. There is an opening for next year and no clear guy ready to take that spot. Not good depth here, especially after 2 young OTs just left. So we appear to be bringing in two experienced OTs to address this.

I believe Nkanu has two years of eligibility left, which makes him more attractive than a typical grad transfer. I like that he is from Montreal. We really need to be paying more attention to Canada. So happy the staff has realized how important NJ is for us. If they can focus a bit more on Canada too, it will really help us. There is a lot of P5 talent coming out of there and we are not getting our share of it.

OLine recruiting has been a train wreck. Around 30% success rate.

In the last few years we’ve brought in - listed recruiting weights - Barclay 245, Petry 265, Magnunson 240, Hoeh 259, Kauhi 265…then Schuster 280 bailed. None of them is pushing the 2 deep. Hoeh is so light we made him a fullback. The only kid who’s come in lower than 280 who might sniff pT is Joe Cruz. So weight is one thing, then there’s just the non contributors who’ve been in the program forever like Red and Tisdale.

NKanu looks like he’s in the two deep as soon as he steps on campus.

Last edited:
I would not list Red and Tisdale in the same category. Tisdale (Juco) started 10 games in 2020 and 5 in 2021. He wasn't great, but he contributed. Red was a highly rated recruit, and I don't think we know what happened (injuries? over-rated? can't get to 300lbs?).
Hoeh and Kauhi have a chance -- too soon to write their stories after 2 years.

If we land Nkanu (a likely starter), to go with Reed (C) and More (grad transfer OT), the OL in 2023 has a chance to be better than average for us, even with the loss of Bergeron.

I would not list Red and Tisdale in the same category. Tisdale (Juco) started 10 games in 2020 and 5 in 2021. He wasn't great, but he contributed. Red was a highly rated recruit, and I don't think we know what happened (injuries? over-rated? can't get to 300lbs?).
Hoeh and Kauhi have a chance -- too soon to write their stories after 2 years.

If we land Nkanu (a likely starter), to go with Reed (C) and More (grad transfer OT), the OL in 2023 has a chance to be better than average for us, even with the loss of Bergeron.

Nah..Tisdale played because the Covid season we had no one else. We could have had games canceled for being under the lineman threshold. He filled in for injuries again last year and this year didn’t leave the bench while the OLine still struggled with health.

The writing is on the wall for every kid on the team who didn’t crack the two deep last year. When we were missing 3 starters the backup line was Bradford, IIoao, and Cruz while we moved Vet and Davis around. We have 5 in the fold and I believe we’ll still bring in 2 more. My guess is 4/5 upperclassman in 2 jucos and 2 or 3 transfers. Looking at 7 or 8 offensive lineman. This means besides the lack of depth they don’t think any of the backups on the roster are going to step up next season and contribute. They need kids who can step right in and play.

Last edited:
Nah..Tisdale played because the Covid season we had no one else. We could have had games canceled for being under the lineman threshold. He filled in for injuries again last year and this year didn’t leave the bench while the OLine still struggled with health.

The writing is on the wall for every kid on the team who didn’t crack the two deep last year. When we were missing 3 starters the backup line was Bradford, IIoao, and Cruz while we moved Vet and Davis around. We have 5 in the fold and I believe we’ll still bring in 2 more. My guess is 4/5 upperclassman in 2 jucos and 2 or 3 transfers. Looking at 7 or 8 offensive lineman. This means besides the lack of depth they don’t think any of the backups on the roster are going to step up next season and contribute. They need kids who can step right in and play.
Nah to you. While Tisdale started many games, Red never played. So not even close to the same.
Pretty obvious that we needed immediate help for 2023. No debate there.
I think some on the roster including Joe Cruz and Bradford can contribute.
But we are likely to see E Cruz, Ellis, Reed, Bleich and More across the front, or possibly Nkano if we land him. And then we have younger backups who have a chance in 2024.
There will be exceptions (Bergeron and Ellis played as true frosh) but generally we want 4th and 5th years in the OL.

Nah to you. While Tisdale started many games, Red never played. So not even close to the same.
Pretty obvious that we needed immediate help for 2023. No debate there.
I think some on the roster including Joe Cruz and Bradford can contribute.
But we are likely to see E Cruz, Ellis, Reed, Bleich and More across the front, or possibly Nkano if we land him. And then we have younger backups who have a chance in 2024.
There will be exceptions (Bergeron and Ellis played as true frosh) but generally we want 4th and 5th years in the OL.

Joe Cruz was on the two deep as a true frosh. Not good for the other kids. Like I said, writing on the wall for them.

Can’t see Bleich playing next year. Vett has yet to declare his intentions. I guess neither has Bleich.

Given starters are Cruz at LT, Ellis at LG. IIoao/JRon at Center. RG Bradford or Lysander. RT More or Lysander and/or another grad transfer at RT or possibly Vett. My guess any new upper class transfer is in the two deep.

Joe Cruz was on the two deep as a true frosh. Not good for the other kids. Like I said, writing on the wall for them.

Can’t see Bleich playing next year. Vett has yet to declare his intentions. I guess neither has Bleich.

Given starters are Cruz at LT, Ellis at LG. IIoao/JRon at Center. RG Bradford or Lysander. RT More or Lysander and/or another grad transfer at RT or possibly Vett. My guess any new upper class transfer is in the two deep.
Bleich already said he's coming back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom