Class of 2016 - OL Jack Wohlabaugh (OH) Committed to Ohio State/Transferring to Duke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 OL Jack Wohlabaugh (OH) Committed to Ohio State/Transferring to Duke

The ole there is nothing to do in Ohio/Alabama etc doesn't hold water. I loved my time at SU but Central NY isn't exactly Manhattan(NY). OSU are the champs, they have an enrollment of 60,000 students for goodness sakes

The ole there is nothing to do in Ohio/Alabama etc doesn't hold water. I loved my time at SU but Central NY isn't exactly Manhattan(NY). OSU are the champs, they have an enrollment of 60,000 students for goodness sakes

Never said anything about Alabama but from the Ohio perspective have you seen the impacts of football culture there, the effects of economic depression and what lengths the state is going to, to draw new business. The fact is in Ohio they are giving grants to startups to move business there because much of that state is in such a mess ... not just tax breaks but actual cold hard cash. Many of the people in that state don't have much to look forward to ... of course having 60,000 students doesn't hurt either.

Never said anything about Alabama but from the Ohio perspective have you seen the impacts of football culture there, the effects of economic depression and what lengths the state is going to, to draw new business. The fact is in Ohio they are giving grants to startups to move business there because much of that state is in such a mess ... not just tax breaks but actual cold hard cash. Many of the people in that state don't have much to look forward to ... of course having 60,000 students doesn't hurt either.

Yep good point about the economy and its impact as well. I knew they were hurting economically, sounds worse than I had thought

I didn't realize Ohio was so bad. Thanks for clearing that up!

I didn't realize Ohio was so bad. Thanks for clearing that up!

Obviously you aren't thrilled with my post so again here are some more facts:

Cleveland 17% population decrease
Columbus 7% population decrease
Cincinnati 12% population decrease

For example as of 2014, Cincinnati's population is 297,314 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of -12.39 percent.

People are leaving! The state is trying to lure people back in to rebuild what it is losing from an economic perspective ... but again what do facts have to do with anything?

Instead of providing a counterpoint I get the above response ... :bang:

I'm not disputing that Ohio's economy is in bad shape.
I think writing 'Many of the people in that state don't have much to look forward to..' is ridiculous.

I'm not disputing that Ohio's economy is in bad shape.
I think writing 'Many of the people in that state don't have much to look forward to..' is ridiculous.

Well ... sorry I forgot to mention their sparkling weather ... my bad.

You make it sound like the economy in CNY is booming. Btw, most states who give a rat's behind about business give grants to startups (and even established companies). It's good business sense - something NYS has lacked for 40+ years. NYS gives incentives too (Empire zones), there are just too many strings attached to make it worthwhile for most companies. High taxes, union labor and then throw in a ban on fracking that would have provided cheap energy for manufacturing and you have a recipe for a bad business environment. NYS could have a much better economy than the legislators allow.

Football has always been more important in Ohio than in NY. Also, the number of people within a 3 hour driving radius is far higher for OSU than SU. The bulk of NYS population is NYC and LI. You're never getting those people emotionally invested in SU football. And that isn't even getting into the success of the programs.

You make it sound like the economy in CNY is booming. Btw, most states who give a rat's behind about business give grants to startups (and even established companies). It's good business sense - something NYS has lacked for 40+ years. NYS gives incentives too (Empire zones), there are just too many strings attached to make it worthwhile for most companies. High taxes, union labor and then throw in a ban on fracking that would have provided cheap energy for manufacturing and you have a recipe for a bad business environment. NYS could have a much better economy than the legislators allow.

Football has always been more important in Ohio than in NY. Also, the number of people within a 3 hour driving radius is far higher for OSU than SU. The bulk of NYS population is NYC and LI. You're never getting those people emotionally invested in SU football. And that isn't even getting into the success of the programs.

If I actually lived in NY I would actually care ...

I will not argue about the passion for football in OH vs NY ... in OH they seem to take it to an extreme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steubenville_High_School_rape_case

Still doesn't bode well the state is suffering from a double digit percent decline in population ... that is a significant drop and one that does not bode well for the state.

I was hoping SU would at least be able to court him for awhile. Committing to tOSU so earlier pretty much eliminates that, unless Urban decides that he can do better and recruit over him (which I don't see happening in this case).

Like father like son his dad Dave Wohlabaugh, played 92.93.94 for cuse

and in the nfl for 5 or so years. i was 8 when he played at cuse. he was excellent.

Obviously you aren't thrilled with my post so again here are some more facts:

Cleveland 17% population decrease
Columbus 7% population decrease
Cincinnati 12% population decrease

For example as of 2014, Cincinnati's population is 297,314 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of -12.39 percent.

People are leaving! The state is trying to lure people back in to rebuild what it is losing from an economic perspective ... but again what do facts have to do with anything?

Instead of providing a counterpoint I get the above response ... :bang:

Umm...not sure where you are getting your data as it looks way off for Columbus. There is plenty to do in Columbus. The economy is pretty good here. Much better than the rest of the state.
View attachment 40995

Ohio's population is spread throughout the state with many major cities. Columbus, the capital, has the highest population with 787,000 residents, followed by Cleveland (396,800), Cincinnati (296,900), Toledo (287,000) and Akron (199,000).

Interestingly, the cities are wildly different when it comes to demographics and growth. While Columbus is growing rapidly, at a rate of 10% every decade, Cleveland by comparison is losing people at an alarming rate. In 1950, more than 900,000 people lived in Cleveland, and it’s population is declining at a rate similar to decaying cities like Detroit.

Last edited:
Ringostar57 said:
One kid gets upgrade to 4 another gets downgraded to 3. The star game coming to a city near you.

What's amazing is that our on field performance pretty much aligns with our star ratings.

What's amazing is that our on field performance pretty much aligns with our star ratings.
and for the most part, the amount of kids we send to the NFL.

What is also amazing is that our on field performance aligns with what we spend on coaches salaries.

CuseOnly said:
What is also amazing is that our on field performance aligns with what we spend on coaches salaries.

Donate more. They'll take it.

Donate more. They'll take it.

I don't have Bees Money or I would.

I also don't bring in 85 mil in revenue each year like the athletic department does and squander it on Women's Lax and Volleyball coaches.

I also wouldn't donate where is saw misuse of money in the example above.

CuseOnly said:
I don't have Bees Money or I would. I also don't bring in 85 mil in revenue each year like the athletic department does and squander it on Women's Lax and Volleyball coaches. I also wouldn't donate where is saw misuse of money in the example above.

SU is often in the red regardless of the revenue. And many of these mega contracts that coaches have are partially paid by booster clubs. So you were against the Marrone and Shafer hired I assume?

rrlbees said:

I did some research on this a while back - generally speaking, you're right.

But when Marrone took over we outperformed our recruiting rank (which jives with the common perception that we were better coached in that era). Marrone's failings were in recruiting - when our classes dipped (and now we see the result - though tons of blame could also be attributed to the awful OC hired by Shafer) so did our wins and NFL draftees.

I think our recruiting has been better recently, but our opponents have gotten stronger and our in-game coaching is not appearing to be as good with Marrone (though the jury is out on Lester). Plus, Shafers recruits haven't really been in the system long enough to gauge results (ish, Phillips, D LB are all poised for a breakout year, IMO).

Also - PITT has underperformed their ranking, Duke over, and BC over as well.

All of that being said, I'm not sure that you're wrong in your take at all.

SU is often in the red regardless of the revenue. And many of these mega contracts that coaches have are partially paid by booster clubs. So you were against the Marrone and Shafer hired I assume?

I was not against either of them, I was actually for both and I like both of them for different reasons. I understand not paying a HC a lot until they are proven (Shafer/Marrone), my issue is not looking for a big name proven coach when you have the opportunity because you want to cheap out.

I don't want Shafer fired, I want him successful...but my question would be, what are we going to get if he is fired? Another coordinator that we can pay $1-1.5 mil? That appears to be the pattern and the MO of SU. I would prefer to keep Shafer another 4 years with mediocre results and learning on the job than do that horrible dance again.

If they aren't going to spend the money then they better not fire him. If they are going to spend $4 mil/year on a coach then by all means get rid of him if we don' win 16-18 games over the next 2 years.