Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

I have no idea where anyone falls on the offer scale. I do know from looking at the offer list that SU has offered over 140 2015s. Of course some of those are...yeah, right, everyone else is offering so we might as well too.. kind of offers. I also don't know why we are Cullens only offer but obviously the staff sees something they like. They seem to have a pretty good eye for talent and good luck with kids other schools are hesitant on offering..Thomas, Erv, or Estime who half the folks on here never thought would make it. I will differ to their better judgment.

5.11 206 4.9 40 explains alot.

1. john brewer‏@bambrewer May 3
  2. To top it off they weighed him at 205 when he was 215 3 weeks ago at rivals and 215 at the doctor last week... Not sure what happened there
    2. Power ball wasn't even close a 27 was a real disappointment considering in workouts last week he was throw 37 and 38 all day long
    2. 37 inch vertical was ok would have liked to have seen a 38 he has done a lot of work on this since he jumped 37 last year
john brewer‏@bambrewer May 3
  1. Long delay on flight to Dallas last night hurt shy today at sparq ran a slow 40 4.9 off about 4/10's stiff back hurt em

I hope you don't mind Mr. Brewer. No one is safe around me.;)

Mr. Brewer are you planning on any visits to Syracuse?
I don't mind at all... A lot of people knew shy and I were in Dallas and we considered scratching his numbers but after thinking about it we decided to let it be. It is what it is. As I described his numbers are much better than the results of that particular day. Yes we are going to be there for a camp shy wants to attend on June 21 st

BmyTjV0IIAAJvdb.jpg:large

I think they look great...nice shade of Orange.

The 4.9 40 was a 40 yard dash the 4.53 20 was a 5 10 5 cone drill

How's his acceleration and lateral mobility?

I personally loathe 40 times as I find them a useless measure aka if you're running 40 yards on defense something went terribly wrong.

How's his acceleration and lateral mobility?

I personally loathe 40 times as I find them a useless measure aka if you're running 40 yards on defense something went terribly wrong.
It makes all the deference in the world when running "away" or "after an opponent on the field. The game is all about speed. To quote the late George Young "The NFL is nothing if not speed" Because of that he didn't even give David Walker a second thought and a player like Deelone Carter is now without a team. Its conjecture how long Jerome Smith stays on the team before he is cut. Now understand I hope the guy has a great career to watch and celebrate as a former Orange star. Reality says that he will remain a great player in our hearts but not last too long at Atlanta.

It makes all the deference in the world when running "away" or "after an opponent on the field. The game is all about speed. To quote the late George Young "The NFL is nothing if not speed" Because of that he didn't even give David Walker a second thought and a player like Deelone Carter is now without a team. Its conjecture how long Jerome Smith stays on the team before he is cut. Now understand I hope the guy has a great career to watch and celebrate as a former Orange star. Reality says that he will remain a great player in our hearts but not last too long at Atlanta.

Both example are running backs which need break away speed. I think the point IO was making is that you don't really need break away speed on d so much. You need to be quick and be able to read the play and take angles. It's not all about 40 times for LBs. I think that was the point that was trying to be made

He has a 1.7 10 yard split and his 4.53 is way off his normal time... Around 4.25... Check out his highlight video for the eye test.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1187271/highlights/67474375

Was sold after the first 2 minutes, he gets after it. He's a more muscular Dyshawn Davis whom, if you're unfamiliar with, has some highlights up on youtube and will be entering his senior season @ Syracuse this year.

Some other recent SU linebackers that had great seasons are Doug Hogue, Derrell Smith, and Marquis Spruill. All similar aggressive styles but sadly not as many highlights on youtube. Regardless, we play a defense that is fun for linebackers to operate in.

Last edited:
That's exactly what shy is looking for in a college he lives to hunt quarter backs and blow up tight ends. When college coaches see him they can't get knee his size. He is only 16. During his bc visit they were saying he is bigger than Kevin Pierre Louis .

Thanks for the encouraging words.

That's exactly what shy is looking for in a college he lives to hunt quarter backs and blow up tight ends. When college coaches see him they can't get knee his size. He is only 16. During his bc visit they were saying he is bigger than Kevin Pierre Louis .

Is he more interested in playing OLB or MLB? Not sure if he has time/enjoys watching old film but our Wagner game last year was utter domination or our NC State game would be a good watch for a defensive player to see vs a more athletic opponent. Just forward through some of our offensive struggles in that game.

He will play anywhere they want he has had time at both plus safety and d end... He just loves the game. His sophomore year he was more of a cover middle player but last year the teams stopped sending anyone to the middle so he did a lot of blitzing. He would probably had a lot more sacks from outside but he calls their defense from the middle. I'm sure size will judge where he plays college

Both example are running backs which need break away speed. I think the point IO was making is that you don't really need break away speed on d so much. You need to be quick and be able to read the play and take angles. It's not all about 40 times for LBs. I think that was the point that was trying to be made

LB's need to opporate in a 15-20 yard radius, less than that most plays, so acceleration and lateral mobility are the key. If this young gent runs a a 4.25 in the cone drill he can move even @ 4.53 he's only .13 off CJ Mosley's combine time... as a 16 year old!

Here's some numbers for comparison sake:

Mosley NFL combine 6'3 234 4.4 20 shuttle 38.0 inch vert 21 years old
Cullen Nike combine 6'0 206 4.53 20 shuttle 36.8 inch vert 16 years old

Yeah he was working out at velocity the week before his cone drill was 4.25 that day and he said he was feeling slow... That 4.53 in Dallas was done with him falling down on the second turn. He was running much faster in the weeks leading up to Dallas... It was a shame he was tight... I shoulda flown in a couple days early instead of landing 10 hours before the combine on a delayed flight. He was so mad.