Class of 2015 - OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 OLB Shyheim (Shy) Cullen (MA) Signed LOI

Yeah he was working out at velocity the week before his cone drill was 4.25 that day and he said he was feeling slow... That 4.53 in Dallas was done with him falling down on the second turn. He was running much faster in the weeks leading up to Dallas... It was a shame he was tight... I shoulda flown in a couple days early instead of landing 10 hours before the combine on a delayed flight. He was so mad.

nice, hopefully he commits to us soon.

Yeah he was working out at velocity the week before his cone drill was 4.25 that day and he said he was feeling slow... That 4.53 in Dallas was done with him falling down on the second turn. He was running much faster in the weeks leading up to Dallas... It was a shame he was tight... I shoulda flown in a couple days early instead of landing 10 hours before the combine on a delayed flight. He was so mad.

Respect for getting him there at all. Not a short trip and can be a logistics nightmare making the rest of life work around it.

Glad to hear he was mad though. Show's got that drive to succeed which is crucial. Hope he/your family decides Syracuse is the best fit but wish you and yours well regardless.

Thank you... I believe he has made up his mind... Just have to convince mom.

He have any idea what he'd like to study yet? That'll be my go to when my sons are deciding IF a scholarship is offered. If tuition is on me it'd be a different ballgame.

kinesiology ... The main reason he is looking at syracuse over the other schools he has talked to

Happy to have you posting here, sir! Hopefully your son chooses Orange. However, wherever he goes, we wish him the best!

kinesiology ... The main reason he is looking at syracuse over the other schools he has talked to

Glad to hear he's already got a direction for studies decided on so early in the process. It'll be important when other schools come calling later in the game trying to sway him. Also gives me a bit of hope as a father that my 13 year old, who can't decide what he wants for dinner most days, will know what he wants to do with himself by the time he hits 16.

I have 9 kids and half of the older ones don't have a clue where they are headed... The other half are going the right way. Shy and my 13 year old are more focused on their future and direction than my 18 and 20 year old have ever thought about being... A big thing for shy also is many schools he has talked to have said the want to offer but are holding off till later when the see grades improve this quarter. Syracuse being the first to say we believe in you goes along way.

Thank you... I believe he has made up his mind... Just have to convince mom.
Good to hear! Thankfully for us Syracuse Fans & Alums, Mom is usually the easiest to convince to go Orange. An excellent education that has served me and many of us here very well in our careers. A head coach in Scott Schafer is a sincere man committed to not only producing quality football players, but educated men of character from his program, and surrounds himself with coaches with the same goals. The Academic Progress Rate that just came out for this past year is the highest it has ever been for Syracuse since the NCAA started it. Good luck to you and Shy, I hope he makes the best decision for him.

GO ORANGE!

Good to hear! Thankfully for us Syracuse Fans & Alums, Mom is usually the easiest to convince to go Orange. An excellent education that has served me and many of us here very well in our careers. A head coach in Scott Schafer is a sincere man committed to not only producing quality football players, but educated men of character from his program, and surrounds himself with coaches with the same goals. The Academic Progress Rate that just came out for this past year is the highest it has ever been for Syracuse since the NCAA started it. Good luck to you and Shy, I hope he makes the best decision for him.

GO ORANGE!
Thank you... So far we like everything we have seen!

I have 9 kids and half of the older ones don't have a clue where they are headed... The other half are going the right way. Shy and my 13 year old are more focused on their future and direction than my 18 and 20 year old have ever thought about being... A big thing for shy also is many schools he has talked to have said the want to offer but are holding off till later when the see grades improve this quarter. Syracuse being the first to say we believe in you goes along way.

Wow 9 kids! No idea how you do it but it's great that you do!

Seems our coaches hold players accountable off the field at a bit higher level than it seems some other schools do. For what it's worth I feel like us fans do as well vs some football factories where fans wouldnt care what a star player did outside the lines as long as they show up on gameday.

That being said it's pretty easy to spot potential in a kid with grade issues that wants to work at it vs kids that have lower grades and are interested in doing only enough to get by. I'd guess the former is the case as it pertains to Shy thus them feeling confidence to offer him.

Appreciate the conversation. Perhaps I'll be on the other side of it in a few years with mine and always appreciate the insight.

Shy works harder at school than any of my kids. We had him tested for a learning disability back in 9 th grade ... The school said he was fine... We thought it was an attitude issue... He was not allowed out he came home sat at the table and only did school work till bed and still struggled. This year while sitting reviewing something he just read and he couldn't answer a question. If I prompted him he knew it all. So we had him tested again and this time they found an issue. He was given an iep for testing ... The kid is night and day. He has all B's this quarter. I only wish we had pushed earlier for more testing... This wouldn't even be an issue now.

Shy works harder at school than any of my kids. We had him tested for a learning disability back in 9 th grade ... The school said he was fine... We thought it was an attitude issue... He was not allowed out he came home sat at the table and only did school work till bed and still struggled. This year while sitting reviewing something he just read and he couldn't answer a question. If I prompted him he knew it all. So we had him tested again and this time they found an issue. He was given an iep for testing ... The kid is night and day. He has all B's this quarter. I only wish we had pushed earlier for more testing... This wouldn't even be an issue now.

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and perhaps he'll be stronger for having gone through it. Probably feels like a weight lifted off his shoulders at this point.

He feels great he came home so excited he has a b in Spanish ... He said it was the first time I understood what he was asking. My wife adopted shy when he was 4 that kid had a very though start... To see where he is now is amazing ... When the movie of his life comes out everybody will be stunned lol

He feels great he came home so excited he has a b in Spanish ... He said it was the first time I understood what he was asking. My wife adopted shy when he was 4 that kid had a very though start... To see where he is now is amazing ... When the movie of his life comes out everybody will be stunned lol

Love it! We have a couple guys recently with some pretty amazing stories if you're interested. Shamarko Thomas who's on the Steelers and Jay Bromley who was just drafted by the Giants among others. Both big time triumph stories and both VERY quickly became fan favorites.

Everyone has their own trials in life but man it feels good to see people overcome. I'm sure even moreso when it's your son.

You and your wife are amazing, raising Shy and EIGHT(!) others. I have two and I feel maxed out all the time! I am really glad things were figured out, now Shy can reach his full potential as a student, and I bet that helps him reach his full potential as an athlete too. It's a shame it wasn't figured out sooner, but now it has been, thank goodness. Speaking for Cuse Nation, we would be proud to have Shy represent us in the classroom and on the field. Best of luck no matter what, but hope he joins the family when you all visit in June!

Thank you. Truth is after 2 it's no harder. In all reality my wife had three and I have three and my wife adopted shy and Liam before we met. We just had our first together 7 weeks ago. Shy is a great kid ,hard working , caring ... I could go on and on.

Hell you forgot John Raymon ... his story makes the Blind Side seem like Mike Oher had it easy.

Those were some great stories there. Those kids saw a future they could have and put there whole being into it. Some day when shy is ready to tell his story you folks will put his story up there with those . All I can say is it's amazing he is where he is.

Hell you forgot John Raymon ... his story makes the Blind Side seem like Mike Oher had it easy.

I just found a story about this student you were referencing. I shared it with my wife... I think convincing her this is a place for shy just got easier. It is a shame kids are put through things like this and it is amazing when they come out the other side as better people. Many kids would never be able to over come pasts like that. I'm glad syracuse's staff is willing to understand and help kids like them.

Hey Bam. Congrats on the new arrival. Just wondering why Shy's mom needs to be convinced about SU? Or is it just whatever college he picks she will need to be convinced?