older cuse fans I got a question | Syracusefan.com

older cuse fans I got a question

SimonSays

Walk On
for the older fans, you’ve had the chance to watch some of the greatest cuse basketball players ever, whether your in your 30’s or your 90’s.

for the younger fans, i’d says 25 and less, have had the chance to see many great teams in their own respect, but not to the same degree when cuse entered the acc.

so my question is for these older fans what are your 5 favorite players of all time in the last decade?(2010-2020).

rautins?scoop?southerland?cooney?battle?boeheim?triche?fair?gillion?waiters? there’s so many, i’m really interested in what you think.

Dion, Fab, CJ, Flynn, Buddy were/are probably my favorite guys to watch during that timeframe.

Hard list to make, so many other guys I loved, Silent G, Rak, Andy, Grant, Ennis, JSouth, Wes, AO, Rick Jackson just to add a few more.

Not sure I understand the question, why older fans if the question is about the last 10 years, and the term “all-time” doesn’t really match with the 10 year window.

But… last 10 years Dion, Ennis, CJ, Wes, Triche would be in there.

All time would include Wallace, Melo, GMac, Sherm, and probably still Dion.

There’s obviously more but as an off the top of the head quick list it’s a good start.

Any list from the "old timers" that doesn't include Pearl is probably wrong. It all starts and ends with him during the JB era.

75 year old father- "Dave Bing was the best player"
53 year old me- "Pearl Washington"
32 year old son- "Melo"

Thats how our 3 generations see it.

52 year old wife who "just" started watching in 1990 will say Moten for what that's worth.

Last 10: CJ may have been my fave. Really enjoyed Ennis as well. Lot of good choices.

Personal all time (I’m 42): Melo, Sherm, DC, Wallace my absolute favorites. Followed by a grouping of Moten, Red and Hak.

I could add a million more to the list of my favorites but I think that’s a pretty good summary.

Personally, I loved watching moten play. Was my favorite. So smooth and effortless I can’t tell you how many time i’d turn to my father and say “moten had a quiet night” and he’d say “he’s got 18” now

Scoop would be my favorite, for lots of reasons, many of which have little to do with basketball. He made some mistakes and took full advantage of second chances to develop into a really good basketball player and (evidently) young man. I think that I would have Devo in the same category for the same reasons. He took a little while longer to get it together, but look at him now.

Other than that, for me, they all kind of run together.

Of a more recent vintage Rautins was my favorite player and should have been conference player of the year his senior year.

Moten is included for me because if he doesn't arrive on the scene and be great his Frosh year that team with Dave Johnson and Red doesn't do anything.

Wallace for obvious reasons.

Two just personal favorites - Rak because I think he was misused his entire career and had as good a season as you can have his senior year when that team got skewered and Lydon who in my opinion is one of the more underappreciated players by the fan base.

Rak because of his development and showing the world what he was capable of that senior year.

Hak because every time you watched him something amazing could happen at any minute. And often did.

Triche because he did so many things well, and I always was waiting to see if he could take that next step to be a star, because it felt like it was right there.

Any list from the "old timers" that doesn't include Pearl is probably wrong. It all starts and ends with him during the JB era.

75 year old father- "Dave Bing was the best player"
53 year old me- "Pearl Washington"
32 year old son- "Melo"

Thats how our 3 generations see it.

52 year old wife who "just" started watching in 1990 will say Moten for what that's worth.
Look Pearl was my favorite player when I was a kid. But if we’re being honest he couldn’t compare physically or skill-wise to Melo

for the older fans, you’ve had the chance to watch some of the greatest cuse basketball players ever, whether your in your 30’s or your 90’s.

for the younger fans, i’d says 25 and less, have had the chance to see many great teams in their own respect, but not to the same degree when cuse entered the acc.

so my question is for these older fans what are your 5 favorite players of all time in the last decade?(2010-2020).

rautins?scoop?southerland?cooney?battle?boeheim?triche?fair?gillion?waiters? there’s so many, i’m really interested in what you think.
If I’m building a team to win, I go Triche, Waiters, Buddy, Wes and Fab

Derrick Coleman, John Wallace, Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne "the Pearl" Washington, CJ Fair

Honorable mentions: Kris Joseph, Sherman Douglas, Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins, Eric Devendor, Jerami Grant, Dion Waiters, Rick Jackson (Big East Defensive POY), Scoop Jardine, Leo Rautins

There's probably more honorable mentions. So many great players. I heard someone say Syracuse basketball players are "gods." Which is somewhat true when you think how hard it is to get to this level of the game.

Here's a really good website if you are interested in searching on who-is-who in Syracuse basketball:

Edit: I just saw the last decade part. I gave enough from the last decade. So many great players.

Rautins, Triche, Fair, Dolezaj, Southerland. Honorable mention for everyone else that wore orange.

All time favorite? Greg Kohls, Dennis DuVal, Hak, Pearl, Derrick Coleman. Honorable mention: Stevie, Cliff Warwell, GMac

Last 10? Scoop, Baye, Jerami, Marek, Rak. Honorable mention: G.

Not sure I understand the question, why older fans if the question is about the last 10 years, and the term “all-time” doesn’t really match with the 10 year window.

But… last 10 years Dion, Ennis, CJ, Wes, Triche would be in there.

All time would include Wallace, Melo, GMac, Sherm, and probably still Dion.

There’s obviously more but as an off the top of the head quick list it’s a good start.
Because I never see "older fans" have any players within the last decade in their all-time list, from what I've seen.

I’ll answer your question without being all over the place. 2010-2020.

Rautins
W. Johnson
Triche
Fair
Hughes

HM: Buddy

interesting. Why eli over buddy?

he sure was fun to watch

I was gonna use buddy instead of rautins or triche but figured I’d use him for the next decade. Up to 2020 was only his freshman and soph year so his chapter hasn’t been closed out yet.

It’s like asking what part of the filet was best. When I think of Syracuse I don’t think of any individual I think of them all they’re all great!

Love the question but impossible to answer. Maybe cause I'm an old-timer, but it's like asking what's my favorite Beatles/BobMarley/StevieWonder/LedZeppelin/EWF/Hall&Oates/Stones etc. etc. etc... song is.
Or better yet..."what's my favorite kind of music"?
I always feel like I'm forgetting someone, because I usually am! LOL

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Love the question but impossible to answer. Maybe cause I'm an old-timer, but it's like asking what's my favorite Beatles/BobMarley/StevieWonder/LedZeppelin/EWF/Hall&Oates/Stones etc. etc. etc... song is.
Or better yet..."what's my favorite kind of music"?
I always feel like I'm forgetting someone, because I usually am! LOL

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF
What are Hall & Oates doing on that list? Sheesh, there's no accounting for taste.

The last ten years I have a special appreciation for players that stayed an extra year since so many leave early, and players where we could watch their development: Silent G, Christmas, Rautins, Rick for a start.

What are Hall & Oates doing on that list? Sheesh, there's no accounting for taste.
Love Hall & Oates. There was a period there in the late 70's and 80" where they churned out hit after hit. One of my wife's favorite bands. They're one of those groups you'll never admit to liking...but secretly do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom