Omaha attractions and such | Syracusefan.com

Omaha attractions and such

themole

Starter
Well, never thought this area of pseudo-expertise would come in handy here!

I know the Omaha area fairly well, my spouse grew up there, if anyone is going and needs things to do...(although most of my experiences there also involved kids).

Omaha is a pretty sprawling area with lots of fairly recent construction/development to the west of town.

- The Old Market is a nice area for finding a bar, restaurant or shop. Not sure what kind of hotels are there, but it would be a good base area.
- There's an Aerospace Museum west of town with some cool military/space/plane-related exhibits.
- Probably the wrong time of year for this, but there's botanical gardens, called the Lauritzen Gardens, that are pretty nice
- The Omaha Zoo is good if you are into that sort of thing
- The Josslyn Art museum is nice if you are into that sort of thing
- There's a large former train station that is now a rail museum that is fairly cool, but more for the architecture than the exhibits, at least for me.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart is an interesting weird giant store, sort of like Ikea meets Best Buy.

If anyone needs other info, I can try or ask the better half...

I know the Omaha area fairly well, my spouse grew up there, if anyone is going and needs things to do...(although most of my experiences there also involved kids).

Omaha is a pretty sprawling area with lots of fairly recent construction/development to the west of town.

- The Old Market is a nice area for finding a bar, restaurant or shop. Not sure what kind of hotels are there, but it would be a good base area.
- There's an Aerospace Museum west of town with some cool military/space/plane-related exhibits.
- Probably the wrong time of year for this, but there's botanical gardens, called the Lauritzen Gardens, that are pretty nice
- There's a large former train station that is now a rail museum that is fairly cool, but more for the architecture than the exhibits, at least for me.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart is an interesting weird giant store, sort of like Ikea meets Best Buy.

Closest cheap cities to fly in to.

Thanks. We had an Omaha thread going earlier this season so maybe mods can merge.

Kansas City (3 hrs) and Des Moines (2hrs) are probably the only two nearby-ish cities with decent airports. There's also Lincoln but I think it is pretty small. If for some reason you don't mind a lot of driving, there's always Chicago, about 7 hours away.

Delta and Southwest fly into Omaha a lot, if you want to look for flights from cities "nearby" Syracuse instead

I was in Omaha last week. Surprisingly neat city. Lots to do.
Old Market reminds me of Seattle.

Local craft beer:

Kros Strain & Zipline are both excellent.

From a friend of mine, Food:

Block 16 has good American style food.
Blatt Beer and table is a good sports bar, good draft beer list
Boiler Room and Grey Plume for more upscale food
Shucks decent seafood for Nebraska

I've been to the Omaha Zoo and thought it was one of the best, but be prepared for lots of walking and hills.

Sucks.

If we were in any other region I’d have no issues getting a reasonable flight from Fort Lauderdale on short notice.

But Omaha is awful and not near anything else either.

Sucks.

If we were in any other region I’d have no issues getting a reasonable flight from Fort Lauderdale on short notice.

Try Kansas City, not a horrible drive and may be much cheaper

Take a bus
I took a bus once, from Syracuse to Olean in '92. Swore I'd never do that again and haven't. I'd drive before that, don't think I can do it because of work this week though. Believe, I'm not going to give up until Thursday though.

Sucks.

I looked immediately after the game ended and it $650r/t. Shot up to over $900in minutes from NY to Omaha. Going to track the flight. Hopefully it will come back down.

I don't think the Omaha airport is too bad. At least it's quick to get through security and the gates aren't a hike, unlike other places.

I flew there a couple of years ago for work with a group ... I didn’t book the tickets but from Syracuse we went to Chicago and then Detroit and then on to Omaha. Honestly the trip wasn’t worth the flight. However I guess it would be worth it to watch cuse!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom