Omaha attractions and such | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Omaha attractions and such

I don't think the Omaha airport is too bad. At least it's quick to get through security and the gates aren't a hike, unlike other places.
Quick to get through security cause there’s hardly any flights.

Well, never thought this area of pseudo-expertise would come in handy here!

I know the Omaha area fairly well, my spouse grew up there, if anyone is going and needs things to do...(although most of my experiences there also involved kids).

Omaha is a pretty sprawling area with lots of fairly recent construction/development to the west of town.

- The Old Market is a nice area for finding a bar, restaurant or shop. Not sure what kind of hotels are there, but it would be a good base area.
- There's an Aerospace Museum west of town with some cool military/space/plane-related exhibits.
- Probably the wrong time of year for this, but there's botanical gardens, called the Lauritzen Gardens, that are pretty nice
- The Omaha Zoo is good if you are into that sort of thing
- The Josslyn Art museum is nice if you are into that sort of thing
- There's a large former train station that is now a rail museum that is fairly cool, but more for the architecture than the exhibits, at least for me.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart is an interesting weird giant store, sort of like Ikea meets Best Buy.

If anyone needs other info, I can try or ask the better half...
Warren Buffet’s fav place to eat...

Minneapolis to Omaha is a 5 and a half drive. NYC has direct flights to Minneapolis.

Where are you guts searching? I’m looking around a grand round trip from sfo. Ugh. Maybe I’ll try the fly and drive strategy as well.

Any idea on game times yet?
Odds are we’ll be the late game on CBS. (9:39 tip, will be pushed towards 10p) We should know for sure around halftime of the last game tonight.

Odds are we’ll be the late game on CBS. (9:39 tip, will be pushed towards 10p) We should know for sure around halftime of the last game tonight.
Thanks. Trying to pull the trigger since I just saw some ok flights to Denver but I need to know the game times.

Thanks. Trying to pull the trigger since I just saw some ok flights to Denver but I need to know the game times.
It's at least an 8 hour drive between Denver and Omaha (having done it many times). At least the speed limits are 75mph in both states.

I think airfares from Phoenix are not bad. I looked a couple of days ago. But then hotels, the tickets. I would get the good seats through the U if I went adds up...Omaha does not excite me. Some places I would go partly for the experience. Omaha is not on that list. Saving my money for next year women's final four, and when ever we next make the men's final four, since this year is still in play...

I think airfares from Phoenix are not bad. I looked a couple of days ago. But then hotels, the tickets. I would get the good seats through the U if I went adds up...Omaha does not excite me. Some places I would go partly for the experience. Omaha is not on that list. Saving my money for next year women's final four, and when ever we next make the men's final four, since this year is still in play...
good perspective. Omaha is probably among the lowest on the list of cities to pay a premium to get to on short notice.

The airport is smallish, but not thaaaat small. The security lines can still be slow/long depending on time of day.

Scooter's Coffee is meh. It's everywhere there...

holy what a day, honestly can't believe Syracuse is coming but Sorry America.

First things first the airport isn't that bad and actually does have a decent selection of non stop flights, southwest probably has the most flights though and I've flown direct on it from Newark a handful of times. If you can't get into Omaha KC is the second best option and only 2.5 hours all interstate. Warning KCI is hell on earth and makes Eppley (Omaha) look huge.

Secondly a new entertainment district has opened up right across the street from the arena and will have 3 new bars and a courtyard with live bands open for the weekend. It actually opened last night and it has some work to do but it will be where all the fans are and right across the street from Centurylink. Other than that the Old Mattress factory just west of the arena will have a huge beer tent as well. DJs dugout is across the street as well but can be crazy packed before Creighton games and the food is subpar.

At Night the Old Market, Blackstone, or Benson will be your bar districts. Old Market suggestions are Mr. Toads, Havana Garage, or Barry O's are all fun. And then pretty much everything in Blackstone and Benson is fun and new. If you are looking for dive bars or a good burger check out Aldermans and Barrets on Leavenworth. Also selfishly I will throw in a plug for my neighborhood bar Tracks Lounge on 60th and Pacific which has officially become the home of Syracuse football in the Fall for Omaha, best wings in town and I'll probably be there Saturday so feel free to bitch about Dungeys health while we talk orange football and hopefully a basketball final 4 trip.

Best steak house since people will ask is Cascios, worst is Gorats but Buffett loves it so who am I to judge. Other local spots that are hidden gems is Malaras for Italian and Dinkers for a good burger.

Also the media here for some reason is pissed Cuse is coming, screw em, they are all husker homers who are still pissed about 1984 anyway.

Finally the zoo is a must hit. Beat out SAN Diego for the second straight year as number 1 so I guess that's the one good thing we have.

Seriously though cannot wait for this weekend and you guys will be pleasantly surprised I think and chances are as long as you don't go west of 156th street your won't see a farm.

For a family that came here in the 80's from Rome and Utica this is dream weekend come true

Well, never thought this area of pseudo-expertise would come in handy here!

I know the Omaha area fairly well, my spouse grew up there, if anyone is going and needs things to do...(although most of my experiences there also involved kids).

Omaha is a pretty sprawling area with lots of fairly recent construction/development to the west of town.

- The Old Market is a nice area for finding a bar, restaurant or shop. Not sure what kind of hotels are there, but it would be a good base area.
- There's an Aerospace Museum west of town with some cool military/space/plane-related exhibits.
- Probably the wrong time of year for this, but there's botanical gardens, called the Lauritzen Gardens, that are pretty nice
- The Omaha Zoo is good if you are into that sort of thing
- The Josslyn Art museum is nice if you are into that sort of thing
- There's a large former train station that is now a rail museum that is fairly cool, but more for the architecture than the exhibits, at least for me.
- Nebraska Furniture Mart is an interesting weird giant store, sort of like Ikea meets Best Buy.

If anyone needs other info, I can try or ask the better half...

City of the college World Series and in general baseball Mecca W of the Mississippi, no?

First things first the airport isn't that bad and actually does have a decent selection of non stop flights, southwest probably has the most flights though and I've flown direct on it from Newark a handful of times. If you can't get into Omaha KC is the second best option and only 2.5 hours all interstate. Warning KCI is hell on earth and makes Eppley (Omaha) look huge.

Secondly a new entertainment district has opened up right across the street from the arena and will have 3 new bars and a courtyard with live bands open for the weekend. It actually opened last night and it has some work to do but it will be where all the fans are and right across the street from Centurylink. Other than that the Old Mattress factory just west of the arena will have a huge beer tent as well. DJs dugout is across the street as well but can be crazy packed before Creighton games and the food is subpar.

At Night the Old Market, Blackstone, or Benson will be your bar districts. Old Market suggestions are Mr. Toads, Havana Garage, or Barry O's are all fun. And then pretty much everything in Blackstone and Benson is fun and new. If you are looking for dive bars or a good burger check out Aldermans and Barrets on Leavenworth. Also selfishly I will throw in a plug for my neighborhood bar Tracks Lounge on 60th and Pacific which has officially become the home of Syracuse football in the Fall for Omaha, best wings in town and I'll probably be there Saturday so feel free to bitch about Dungeys health while we talk orange football and hopefully a basketball final 4 trip.

Best steak house since people will ask is Cascios, worst is Gorats but Buffett loves it so who am I to judge. Other local spots that are hidden gems is Malaras for Italian and Dinkers for a good burger.

Also the media here for some reason is pissed Cuse is coming, screw em, they are all husker homers who are still pissed about 1984 anyway.

Finally the zoo is a must hit. Beat out SAN Diego for the second straight year as number 1 so I guess that's the one good thing we have.

Seriously though cannot wait for this weekend and you guys will be pleasantly surprised I think and chances are as long as you don't go west of 156th street your won't see a farm.

For a family that came here in the 80's from Rome and Utica this is dream weekend come true

Thanks for sharing. I was going to post some more suggestions but you nailed them. The dummies and rubes who rip Omaha have most likely never been there. There’s a reason the College World Series will never leave there. Also, all the Trans-Siberian Orchestra musicians set up shop there and rehearse there for two weeks prior to kicking off the tour. Many are my colleagues. They love it there.

For those located in And around Syracuse. We found flights out of Scranton to KC under $400 which is about half of flying out of Syracuse. Also cheaper than flying SW out of Albany, Rochester or Buffalo.

I was there for a weekend this summer. There are lots of restaurants and hotels and downtown is very easy to get around. I didn’t even need a car. Not sure exactly where the arena is though.

I was there for a weekend this summer. There are lots of restaurants and hotels and downtown is very easy to get around. I didn’t even need a car. Not sure exactly where the arena is though.

The arena is right Downtown just north of the Old Market by a couple blocks and 10 minutes from the airport. If you are staying Downtown you will not need a car at all with the Lyft and Uber apps. Hell I would say as long as you stay east of 72nd street Uber and Lyfts to the arena/downtown area will be 15 bucks each way so a car is not needed.

Agree with much of this. Have been in Omaha since 90s. The drover is best steakhouse outside of the Prime steakhouses like Chophouse 801 and Mahoganies. Agree with Dinkers but Mattress Factory and Djs are better sports bars and near arena.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom