One returning player improvement on next year‘s roster | Syracusefan.com

One returning player improvement on next year‘s roster

20Plus

Of the returning guys which would you pick to show the biggest improvement, that would have the greatest impact for next years success.

I would go with Sidibe.

I think the level of each of the returners could all use a little improvement. Sidibe could barely jump. I think he has great tools and if he has the largest jump that could have the greatest impact on next year success.

I could see some people picking Oshea or Tyus or Marek.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also would go with Sidibe if he is healthy. That said, I’ve never been more sure that a player was going to improve significantly from one year to the next than I am with Brissett. He was the classic case of a really talented guy who needed to adjust to the speed and physicality of high-level college basketball. Marek too, his problem was lack of strength, and he should add strength just by normal development even if he didn’t lift weights (which I’m sure he will).

Last edited:
I would rank it in this order -

1. Sidibe (if healthy obviously) crazy upside, just look at those handful of games where he could actually, god forbid, jump. Pitt, I'm looking at you!

2. Oshae - i think 1 of these 2 will get most improved player in acc. Once he either improves 3 pt efficiency or finishing at rim, he'll be an elite player. Just imagine if both come together this year.

3. Dolejaz - i can see him avg. 10 ppg while maintaining all those intangibles that kept him in the starting spot after mm came back

4 tyus - would love to see him get a luttle more consistency shooting from the field, which should happen if for no other reasin, he won't be double teamed everytime he's got the ball in his hands and hewon't have to play 40 mpg.

If Chukwu can make a jump in ability like he did last year, he can be big surprise.
I thought the improvement he made was totally unexpected. Watching him his first year I had zero expectations.

Of the returning guys which would you pick to show the biggest improvement, that would have the greatest impact for next years success.

I would go with Sidibe.

I think the level of each of the returners could all use a little improvement. Sidibe could barely jump. I think he has great tools and if he has the largest jump that could have the greatest impact on next year success.

I could see some people picking Oshea or Tyus or Marek.
I agree 100%. I know I push on here how good he can be and most people think I’m crazy. As they said when he was being recruited, he would go against top centers his sr year in hs and mostly had better numbers head to head. Watched him last year when he could move a little and I could see his potential. Very good defensive player, good rebounder, and a Christmas like back to basket ability. Let’s hope we will actually pass the ball in the middle this year.

I think Oshae can have a great year but has zero chance of being most improved ACC player.

Not when he averages 35, 14 and 6 blocks! I don't think everyone really understands things outside of this Cuse bubble. Given his numbers as a frosh, there is seriously like a 1% chance he could get it and that is pushing it.

Kind of exciting to have 3 viable candidates for this. I think OB has the most talent still to show. Geez if he could make 50% more of his 2 footers and layups he could average 20 ppg. Marek has so much game all he needs to do is keep maturing and his game will takes leaps and bounds. He's a team leader do it all type I can't wait to see for another year. But I gotta go with Sidibe also, if he is healthy. He has the knack of scoring around the hoop that OB is looking for. If he is healthy I think he'll end up getting more minutes than PC and maybe even see some 4 in a power lineup.

I'll go another direction here. If Frank could lead an effective fast break and actually pass the ball, and, in general, play at a little faster pace bringing the ball up routinely it could free up the offense. With a deeper bench next season Boeheim should not feel the need to limit possessions and turn every game into a rock fight. We have the ponies, let 'em run.

Hughes. Kid didn't score a point last year. Any production will be infinitely greater.

I hope Oshae and Tyus can get their outside shots to be more consistent. Hopefully they won't have to be the only shooters and can be more selective. Oshae absolutely must improve within 5 feet of the basket if he's going to take the next step. If not, he's going to be super frustrating this year.

Marek should improve, hopefully with more strength. I think 8-10 pts consistently will be a good baseline.

I think Oshae can have a great year but has zero chance of being most improved ACC player.
Agree 100% because if he IS the most improved player in the ACC, he wins the ACC POY not the MIP.

Marek. If the kid puts on some pounds and doesn't sacrifice his agility in doing so, watch out.

I’m going with Chukwu, one minute he shows glimpses of being excellent then follows it up looking like Celuck. If he can put it all together he is capable of great things.
I think all of our starters will improve, although with Frank and Tyus the gain will be in efficiency and play-making. The rest of team is where we'll see the biggest scoring jumps. OB and Marek will be better shooters and finishers. Hughes is an unknown at the 2/3, but he figures to be a good player. Chukwu, as you point out, is a force on defense and just "this close" on offense -- hopefully he'll show us some of those LP moves he uses in practice and maybe even figures out the PnR.

Sid obviously was hampered last year. He's got offensive talent and I'm expecting him to shine once his recovery is complete.

And the freshmen will give us desperately needed depth at guard and forward. My guess is that the team scoring average goes from 67 to 77+.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom