One thing JB must do IMO... | Syracusefan.com

One thing JB must do IMO...

bpo57

Living Legend
Get decent minutes out of Grant and Cooney, ie 7-10 not 3-4. IU likes to play at a very hectic pace and our main 4 will be gassed in the last 7-8 minutes of the game if they aren't rotated enough. Coleman may even have to play in case of, or in order to avoid, foul trouble.

Get decent minutes out of Grant and Cooney, ie 7-10 not 3-4. IU likes to play at a very hectic pace and our main 4 will be gassed in the last 7-8 minutes of the game if they aren't rotated enough. Coleman may even have to play in case of, or in order to avoid, foul trouble.
the time outs are much longer at this stage. Our players will get plenty of rest every 5 minutes.

the time outs are much longer at this stage. Our players will get plenty of rest every 5 minutes.

Definitely true, especially at the end of games where fouls / timeouts will give opportunities for de facto rest.

I hope that Grant gets some rotational PT [even just a few minutes] to give both CJ and Southerland a blow. They are going to have to give maximum effort on both ends, and are important cogs in what we do offensively. Need them both to come through.

Definitely true, especially at the end of games where fouls / timeouts will give opportunities for de facto rest.

I hope that Grant gets some rotational PT [even just a few minutes] to give both CJ and Southerland a blow. They are going to have to give maximum effort on both ends, and are important cogs in what we do offensively. Need them both to come through.
I hope the key here is "rotational", and not as a result of foul trouble. The latter would not bode well...

Most

Most of SU's opponents have not played anywhere near this pace. Not saying SU can't cope with it but we will be playing with fire if the main 4 rarely come out of the game. They have long tv timeouts during the regular season too.

I hope the key here is "rotational", and not as a result of foul trouble. The latter would not bode well...

I fully expect our bigs to be in foul trouble. Hopefully our guards can use their size to get IU in foul trouble.

Agreed. Everyone on the floor has to give max effort. There is a tendency to rest on the defensive end (less active) and that is when things can get ugly in terms of uncontested threes or offensive rebounds.

Meh. IU only plays like 7 guys.

Meh. IU only plays like 7 guys.

Wrong way to look at it. Nobody on IU averages more than 29 min. SU has four guys that average 29 or more and more recently they're all at 35 or above. Huge difference. I've watched IU plenty this year and they constantly rotate plus guys like Oladipo and Sheehey can cover a guard or a forward.

Most

Most of SU's opponents have not played anywhere near this pace. Not saying SU can't cope with it but we will be playing with fire if the main 4 rarely come out of the game. They have long tv timeouts during the regular season too.

I won't concede the pace [see: both Texas and Kansas 2003, who were supposed to run us off of the floor]. Indiana is certainly capable of imposing their preferred tempo, so we need to get back before they get out in transition and force them to execute in the half court.

Agree with your point about having legs at the end. Need to close strong, which is more difficult [on paper] if your main four are gassed.

Wrong way to look at it. Nobody on IU averages more than 29 min. SU has four guys that average 29 or more and more recently they're all at 35 or above. Huge difference. I've watched IU plenty this year and they constantly rotate plus guys like Oladipo and Sheehey can cover a guard or a forward.
How much of that is due to blow outs

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, get the oxygen tents ready. See SU vs. Mich St. 2000. You know the only way Grant and Cooney see more than 2 minutes will be if a starter fouls out. In Coleman's case only if 2 starters foul out.

If any SU starter get's 2 fouls in the 1st half you sit him down till the 2nd half. Especially if it's JS, as that has been his case the last 2 out of 3 games.

If any SU starter get's 2 fouls in the 1st half you sit him down till the 2nd half. Especially if it's JS, as that has been his case the last 2 out of 3 games.

JB has said he typically doesn't sit a guy just be cause he has 2 in the first half. That has backfired with Southerland in particular, but I'll bet he'd leave CJ out there with 2.

I see us, for the first time in my memory, being the team trying to slow this down. We need to make them play against the zone and not get transition points. If our half court offense is turning it over or giving up loads of defensive rebounds, we'll be in big trouble. Louisville didn't so much beat our defense in the BET champ game, they used our offense to start their break.

grant and cooney will get there 5mins in the 1st half giving each of our big 4 2.5 mins of rest each

The refs have been really good this tournament which should help our bigs.
I felt that Cal caught a few breaks but watching this tournament its 5 times better then the big east where guys like Keita would get garbage calls against them.

I would expect the same level of decency towmorrow. Let the kids play. I have no problem with giving someone foul shots I have a problem with foul trouble though.

I won't concede the pace [see: both Texas and Kansas 2003, who were supposed to run us off of the floor]. Indiana is certainly capable of imposing their preferred tempo, so we need to get back before they get out in transition and force them to execute in the half court.

Agree with your point about having legs at the end. Need to close strong, which is more difficult [on paper] if your main four are gassed.

Don't know if I'm conceding it but think if we flat out try to run end to end with them we'll be playing into their hands.

Yeah, get the oxygen tents ready. See SU vs. Mich St. 2000. You know the only way Grant and Cooney see more than 2 minutes will be if a starter fouls out. In Coleman's case only if 2 starters foul out.

That's exactly what I was thinking. for 30 min we had them then the roof caved in cuz Izzo came at us in waves.

JB has said he typically doesn't sit a guy just be cause he has 2 in the first half. That has backfired with Southerland in particular, but I'll bet he'd leave CJ out there with 2.

I see us, for the first time in my memory, being the team trying to slow this down. We need to make them play against the zone and not get transition points. If our half court offense is turning it over or giving up loads of defensive rebounds, we'll be in big trouble. Louisville didn't so much beat our defense in the BET champ game, they used our offense to start their break.

Agree 100%.

grant and cooney will get there 5mins in the 1st half giving each of our big 4 2.5 mins of rest each

That's what I fear. That won't cut it.

Grant was a liability against Louisville, if james has to go out would rather slide Rak over and let Coleman play a few minutes. That way we at least have some offensive options, we can't afford to have defensive lapses or defensive rebounding problems.

Hitting shots is the "cure all" that forces the opponent to play a half court game.

I would love to see JB mix it up and try to get Coleman in the game with Baye and or Christmas and CJ at the same time. Take a few possesions and force the ball inside to see if we can get some foul trouble on their big

As i mentioned before last game, I'd love to see the scoring threat of Coleman go to work and possibly cause an IU big or 2 to pick up a foul or 2 that he woudn't have gotten otherwise.

JB wont let us get into a track meet with them. he knows our best chance to win is with defense. obviously we'll look to run off turnovers and long rebounds, but similar to the championship game in '03 hes gonna make sure our guys race back on D to set up the zone. huge key is limiting turnovers, if we take care of the ball and force indiana to beat us in the half court i love our chances. mcw must keep the forced passes into traffic and jump in the air and throw behind him passes to an absolute minimum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom