Onions !! | Syracusefan.com

Onions !!

I was a sophomore in high school listening to that game on my CD player radio in the middle of some event in the auditorium. And here we are.

I guess you could say I like Syracuse U.

I skipped Spanish class to watch it on the tv in the weight room. My classes leading up to that all had cool teachers who had the game on. Spanish had a sub. I noped right out of there.

I was watching online at my work computer with the sound off. I yelled out "He hit it!!!" Some people were a little confused. :)

I was working at an office on 44th Street. At 11:40 I told the receptionist I was going to lunch and meeting friends so I'd be a little late getting back. I walked to the Garden and scalped a single ticket. At 2:30 I walked back to my office with a smile on my face and a hoarse voice. The receptionist asked how was lunch with my friends. I told her it was awesome!!

Thankfully all these are still on YouTube to rewatch. And this thread makes me feel old lol. 18 yrs ago? Where has the time gone feels like yesterday.

Thankfully all these are still on YouTube to rewatch. And this thread makes me feel old lol. 18 yrs ago? Where has the time gone feels like yesterday.
I had to do the math 3 times

Yeah, great memories as I was at that fantastic BET. That was actually the 2nd day in a row GMac did that -- the day prior he hit a 3 at the buzzer to beat Cincy. Monster tournament for Gerry -- hit a bunch of big threes the next two days as well against G'town and Pitt. Needless to say he was a runaway winner for the Tourney MVP. Great bookend for his storied SU career -- National Championship as a freshman and BET Championship as a senior.

Edit: I see GMAC's UCONN game thread has now been combined with another thread on the Cincy game that I had referenced.

Last edited:
I loved it when guards could put their team on their back and win big games.

My one and only Big East tournament that I attended. For some reason, I was very confident that we would at least make it to the championship game, so as a poor recent college grad I sprung for 2 tickets for all sessions and a closet-like room across the street at the Hotel Pennsylvania. That really wasn't all that likely as a 9 seed, although we were ranked #21. Big east had #2, #3, #16 & 21, 22 and 23 ranked teams.
From what I recall, GMac had a clutch play in the last minute in every single game. A made 3, assist, free throw, steal or something that won us the game.
Uconn fans were absolutely bad humans. At the time I wasn't aware how awful UConn fans were. Thankfully before I left my older brother gave me a shirt to wear to every game, he told me just wear it every night so I did. On the front it said If SU SUcks? On the back in much bigger letters " THEN UCONN SWALLOWS". Never seen such a reaction from a t-shirt, so good and so so bad. It was awesome.

I was there for the whole tournament. GMac could have been the Mayor of NY during his run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom